Need some advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dollymom, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dollymom

Dollymom New Member

Hi My Dolly is on glipizide 5mg a day. So far (it's only been two days since diagnosis) she has not given me much trouble taking it. Anyone use this instead of insulin?
    I am now feeding her Fancy Feast Classic 2x a day and grain free dry to free feed, which is what they (Dolly has a brother) are used to. Is this okay?

Her vet made no mention of home testing or even what I should look for as far as low blood sugar incidents. I am going to assume she will test Dolly in a month because that is how long the Rx is for with no refills.

I found out she was diabetic when I took her because of stinky breath which is from an infection and the need to have two teeth removed. Dolly is on an antibiotic for this and it seems to be helping.
    Thank you

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From the replies in your post to the Welcome forum:
    My post
    Even grain-free dry food can be high in carbs. What specific grain-free dry are you still using? It is preferred to only feed low-carb canned food. The Classic varieties of Fancy Feast are low-carb.
    Oral meds like glipizide seldom work on cats. If a low-carb canned does not work then insulin are required.
    Your reply:
    I was surprised that Dolly was not put on insulin. The dry is Good Natured from Petsmart.

The Petsmart grain-free is not low carb basted on the ingredients and guaranteed analysis
    https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...ural-chicken-and-peas-43620.html?cgid=5000046

If you can't feed all low-carb canned then relatively low-carb dray are Evo Turkey Cat and Kitten food, Young Again zero-carb, Wysong Epigen 90

YOu can start home testing yourself. Most of us here test before each shot and periodically between shots. A popular meter is Walmart's Relion Confirm and Confirm Micro

3. Dollymom

Dollymom New Member

Thank you!!!!!

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Has Dolly had the teeth removed yet? It’s possible that the dental and clearing of infection along with a low carb diet will help Dolly gain remission. As Larry said home testing is the best way to know if diet is working. It’s easy to do and we’ll be glad to help you learn.

5. Dollymom

Dollymom New Member

No, the dental work needs to be done, I am assuming the vet wants to get the blood glucose under control before surgery.
    I have a meter as my husband is a diabetic. What should the readings be? I know what it should for a human but not a cat.

6. Sharon14

For cats using a human meter normal is 50-120. Here’s a video from one of our members showing how to test

My cat had his dental well before his blood glucose was under control. But I’d imagine you should get rid of the infection first.

Dollymom likes this.
  7. Dollymom

Dollymom New Member

Thank you. This is so overwhelming but I will get everything figured out.

8. Sharon14

It is overwhelming at first. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you have, and if you don’t understand the reply ask for clarification. There are no stupid questions here!

Dollymom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.