Need some healing mojo for Zulu

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom (GA), Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Zulu will be going in for his second dental in less than a year on Friday. When we went in for his annual checkup, the vet saw what looks like a bad dental infection, probably due to a fractured tooth, and a mass on the side of his mouth. While she thinks the mass is due to the infection based on the location and the way it feels, she can't rule out cancer until a biopsy is done. We lost our sweet Breyer on 8/13/17 to cancer, so I can't even process that possibility right now.

The good news is that the infection hasn't messed with his BGs, at least not to the point of pushing him out of remission, and the vet was able to clear her schedule to get him in as quickly as possible. He's on antibiotics now to help start clearing the infection, which he loves because it means pill pockets. He's still his same old sweet self, regardless of whatever discomfort the tooth and mass are causing him.

Please send whatever good mojo you can spare our way.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sending positive thoughts...

ZulusMom (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck! :bighug:

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

OK Zulu, you got this under control-- say goodbye to that nasty tooth, and have that be the whole deal! Get this over with, and more yummy pill pockets will be coming your way!

5. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

I heard back from the vet on Zulu's bloodwork to clear him for anesthesia tomorrow. Most tests were fine, but he is slightly anemic, which again, might be from the tooth. On a more positive note, his fructosamine level came back as 192, which is in the normal range for a non-diabetic cat. Come on, Zulu - you beat diabetes, you can beat this, too!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dental. Healing vibes on the way!

7. lenistar

lenistar Member

You can do it, Zulu! Sending lots of positive thoughts and purrs! :bighug:

8. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

9. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks for all the support, everyone! Just wanted to update with some good news - I got a call from my vet tonight with the biopsy results and the mass in Zulu's mouth was NOT cancer! It was an inflammatory lesion, which we'll have to keep an eye on and make sure it's healing properly with antibiotics. He also had two infected teeth removed. He's mostly back to normal, a little off on his jumps though, and his BGs are a touch higher than they were, but still in remission. The vet said to give him a couple of weeks to fully bounce back.

10. Butterball

Butterball Member

It can take a while for cats to recover from surgery and especially anesthesia. The last time I got one of my cats spade she was still wobbly two days after the procedure. I should feel bad for saying that it's kind of comical

Glad to here Zulu is back on track. Don't let minor variances in BG get to you though. Some times it's just higher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.