Need some help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KrisQ, Oct 22, 2019.

1. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Big sigh. When Kallie first came out of remission, I started dosing too high and just couldn't get her regulated. Then I was going to be gone for several days, so I thought - just stop and then restart low when you get back. It kind of worked, but honestly, I have no idea of what's going on with her sugar levels. And to be clear, I've missed some days recently checking her due some issues beyond my control. The last two days, 21st and 22nd, have been really odd. On the 21st, her BG was 327 so I dosed .1 and that night, her BG was 413 and I didn't give her anything. BG was back down to 290 this morning, and I dosed .1. Tonight it's 491. What in the heck? Argh, I'm stuck and at a loss of what to do next. I'm concerned that my idiocy is damaging her long term health, especially today as it's the 3rd anniversary of her rescue.

Her spreadsheet is up to date, so if anyone would care to take a look and opine on our situation, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_E9454 (1).JPG

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm really confused why you aren't giving insulin consistently when she's over 200. And when you have 0.1 as the dose do you mean 1 unit or 1/10th of a unit? If it's 1/10th you aren't giving enough insulin. Can you try to get some mid cycle numbers so we can see what’s happening at nadir

3. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

I'm not giving it when she's over 200 because it seems to go up, not down, afterwards. I'm shooting 1/10 of 1 unit (40 syringe), I use a measuring tape to mark off the increments.

My concern is that even though her numbers are high, they seem to be going up after giving her a shot of even just a small amount. As I'm not home for most of the day, I'm concerned about her bouncing and possibly crashing. Or maybe I'm just nervous and overthinking it - that's why I'm here - I'm truly at a loss of what to do next. She seems fine - coat is good, appetite is good, she's not drinking an inordinate amount of water, she's cuddly and playful.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Janet. You need to get some data to see how low the dose is taking Kallie's BG. Those high numbers are likely bounces. You gave 0.10u for a pre-shot of 290 but without a mid cycle test, one can only guess how low BG went. Since BG was lower at pre-shot, it's probably reasonable to think BG dropped to even lower levels during the day. When BG drops quickly or drops to levels kitty is not used to even if those levels are not too low, bouncing can occur resulting in the higher PM readings.
    If getting mid cycle tests during the week is not possible, grab a test whenever you can and get tests on the PM cycle. If you can get a test at +2 or +3 and again before bed every night, depending on your shot/bed time, it will provide some info about what might be happening. Kitties often go lower at night than they do during the day, so those early cycle tests at night can often provide good clues as to what is happening.

KrisQ and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  5. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Thanks for the help - I'll try to get some additional readings tonight. I also think that she's bouncing, and understand the need for data. I may try to enlist some help to capture data during the day.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Hi All - I've been able to take readings twice a day and have been reviewing lots of logs here at FDMB as to what I should dose. Taking Janet's advice that .1 is too low, I shot .5 unit (40 syringe) tonight. I'm hoping that she doesn't bounce and that I can give that amount consistently.
    I've also updated her diet to rotate Halo Chicken, TikiCat Tuna in Crab Surimi Consomme and Weruva Junk In The Trunk Chicken with Pumpkin Consomme - which she inhales.

And I feel like I need to explain to you nice folks why I've not been consistent with showing up here on the site and also with getting reading and shots - I'm dealing with a cervical spine issue that sometimes impairs my fine motor skills - making it difficult to get blood and provide a proper shot - I'm not ignoring your advice, I simply don't want to injure the cat. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

While looking at other spreadsheets can sometimes be helpful, it's important to keep in mind that every cat is different and what one cat's BG does on 0.1u or 0.5u doesn't mean your cat will do likewise. I do not recommend copying someone else's dosing strategy.
    I understand that getting testing done has it's challenges for you but getting mid cycle tests at least periodically when you are able is the only way you are going to be able to determine whether Kallie needs more or less insulin at any given time.

KrisQ likes this.