Needle aspiration of pancreas?? (friends civie)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Merlyn (GA), Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Her cat has lymphoma and is on pred/leukeran..but its not working anymore. they are changing the chemo drugs now..but the cat just had a bout of pancreatitis and the vet mentioned cysts on the pancreas visible on xray. They want to do a needle aspiration to see if the cancer spread to the pancreas.. has anyone had that done?

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I had the option once and passed on it. Things may have changed since then (several years ago) but if she hasn't already I would ask how conclusive the test would be (i.e. can they get a clean sample, but cancer still could be there?) and also if they determine it is cancer, how treatable is it? At the time I was offered that, the conclusion the vet & I came to is that there wasn't much point in doing the procedure. But again that was several years ago.

3. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Yes, Shiloh had needle asps done in Dec of his pancreas and enlarged lymph node and liver. Complication is bleeding. He did fine. Maybe the lymphoma is ready to be treated with the chemo drugs. Donna

4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Simba did needle aspiration of his pancrea. It was a very easy procedure and while he was sedated he could come home straight away. He has also done a needle aspiration of a lipoma. I am in favour for it.

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

oh, and a ultrasound can show if there is masses in the organs, so I am in favoure of that and needle aspiration

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.