? Needle came out during shot - WDYD?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leah, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah

Leah Member

Giving Cameron his evening shot, and instead of his usual 'back up two steps cause I'm annoyed with the human' during the injection, he came forward and the needle came out. I noticed there was still a bit left in the syringe, do I popped it back in and plunged the rest.

What's the correct thing to do differently, if I didn't do it right? What would YOU do?

Side question - anyone ever test their other non-FD cat? Smudge is only 1 year, but he's quite portly with no other symptoms. But sometimes I want to test him. Maybe I just like spreadsheets ;)

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I think you were safe to give what was left in the syringe but don’t refill and try to reshoot. Furshots happen to all of us sometimes!

Knowing what I do now, when I get other kitties down the line I will definitely test occasionally! No reason not to IMO especially if you already have the supplies right there :)

Arkali, beggargirl and Leah like this.
  3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello. I did test my Oliver. He is around 9 ish years old and quite rotund at 20#. He does not have diabetes. His glucose on a human meter was 56.

Leah likes this.
  4. Rardito

Rardito Member

I would test my other cat but she doesn't even let me pick her up or even touch her most of the time :( I'm thankful that this happened to my cuddly cat just because she is super easy going. But Bitsy? That would be a challenge.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

exactly the same thing.....that's not the same as a "possible fur shot" and going back and re-shooting

Yep....I have one civvie that routinely tests in the 30's!! It's hard not to grab the syrup and start pouring it down his throat!

6. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Yes I test my other one not that often, but it is time for me to test him now to

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I say that all the time. CC is my most easy going with being handled. Some of my cats are big chickens and barely tolerate me petting them. All of them except CC were strays I found outside.

Rardito likes this.
  8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I've tested my civvie's blood. He's so mellow and sweet. It was easier to practice on him, when I was first starting out. He's a recovering kibble addict with a history of obesity. He's not diabetic though. His blood sugar is always around 50 when I test it. It seems unfair that Cleo should be the diabetic one, when she never cared for kibble and never had a weight problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.