needle phobic neurotic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by elaine_1, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaine_1

elaine_1 New Member

Hi all, My cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I am needle phobic really. I faint at my own blood tests and have once gone into shock. sooo this is really stressful for me and the cat. My husband god love him is doing them, I have managed it three times now so I know if I have to inject her I can.. my questions;_ are 1) is it ok to jab in the scruff every time 2) we have a motorhome in which we go to France for three weeks every summer. the vet said we shouldn't take her with us it will be too stressful for her, but she has never been in kennels so surely that will be stressful as well. she is a main coon and aged 15. any advice will be welcome

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Maine Coons are generally quite mellow.

My Smokey was a MC, and he was the best traveler ever !!

I would take your sweet baby with you.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

yes you can shoot in the scruff or the flank area - be sure to tent the skin and shoot into the indent in the tent - see link with pics

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Injecting_insulin

http://www.felinediabetes.com/injections.htm

is your cat accustomed to traveling with you? if so, then take her. you both will feel better doing that.

if you need help, let us know, it is why we are here.

so gotta ask:

are you home testing?
    what type of insulin are you using?
    how much are you giving her and how often?
    what kind of food are you feeding?

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome from a FORMER needle phobic neurotic! You'll be amazed at what you really CAN do. I also fainted when dr's drew blood, I saw a needle, etc. Even seeing a syringe made me sick at my stomach, thinking of the needle on the end finished me off. 2 months after KT was diagnosed, I was waving them around, holding them, TOUCHING them, not WORRYING about them! I even stick my kitty twice a day without getting that queasy stomach. Now, 1 1/2 years later, I can even TAKE an injection without getting sick! THAT is a blessing too!!!

We traveled in our motorhome for many years with cats....some travel well, others don't....

BIG HUG and welcome!

5. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

Welcome Elaine,
    By the time you've hung out here for awhile, you'll be past the needle phobia and
    ready to travel with your kitty. I wouldn't board him. You'd be worried the whole time,
    wishing he was with you. I bet he'll be fine and by then you'll be a pro! It gets
    easier and this board is amazing. :smile:

6. elaine_1

elaine_1 New Member

Thank you so much to everyone for your help...Hillary and Maui, answer to your questions:- no we don't do any testing on her, we haven't been told to??? she has 2 units twice daily. we give her them at ten am and ten pm times we know we will be available every time. as for food the vet told us not to change it as we have three other cats and it is so expensive when they all eat together. we give them Iams and go cat for seniors mixed ( more often than not they leave these now unless they are hungry between feeds). they have pouches of felix good as it looks at jab times chicken or fish no meat. The other thing is she has really loose motions that smell real bad. one of the reasons my OH doesn't want to take her in the van. and we are suspecting one of our other cats also 15 is showing some of the same symptoms.. My husband is disabled so our income is limited, Im wondering how much this is going to cost. so far it has cost us 60+ pounds. now we need to get the insulin (caninsulin) and the needles, about 50 pounds a month. I dread to think what we can do if it turns out its two of them. no she hasn't been in the van with us before, my daughter usually takes care of them, but wont be available at the regular times to give her insulin.. :sad:

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

To start, you may find it helpful to learn a basic relaxation technique like this one:

Once you are comfortable doing the relaxation breathing, do some positive visualisation of the steps you would take while controlling your breathing, staying at each step until you feel reasonably calm while mentally picturing yourself doing it.
    Maybe start by picturing yourself assisting your husband with the steps involved:
    Drawing up the insulin
    Holding the cat for him
    Tenting the skin for him
    Etc.

Then perhaps switch off and have him draw up and hold the insulin for you and so forth.

Attached Files:

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for answering the questions.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

It sounds like you may be in the UK. We do have UK members here who can help you with food.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

I get that you are needle phobic, but this really is important if you are administering insulin.

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. Or you could also choose PZI or the new version called Prozinc.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

Again, I am assuming you are in the UK, because you were prescribed Caninsulin. Unfortunately, most cats do not do well on this on insulin and if you can convince your vet to switch you to lantus or even prozinc, your cat has a much better chance of going into remission.

I'm going to alert one of our UK members to pop over here and help you further. If you tell us where you are city/country, etc. it will help and our UK members may be close by.

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

9. Katlyn

Katlyn Member

Hi.. I am just over a month newbie and I also have an issue with needles. I have never had an Iv. I will refuse it and walk out. So, I have been giving insulin shots now since December 8th. I am still learning. I no longer dry heave in the hallway on my way to her room at insulin time. I decided that I would master the syringe drawing and insulin shooting to be in control. Most of my fear came from thinking I was hurting my cat. Remember, it is about the cat. You are not getting poked. That helped me suck it up.. My cat's bravery shamed me into getting a grip. I found I made several mistakes and my cat was feeling it. The videos and tips did not help me, but my husband watched me and pointed out my errors. The needle tip is lubricated, so never restick it in your cat.. Like if she jumps and u did not shoot. It will be more painful. Shoot bevel side up so it hurts kitty less. I make a mark with a black sharpie on the syringe so I am ready to go. Do not pull up muscle and shoot in that or it will hurt. Do not push in to hard once it is in. Do not lift up when u remove syringe.. It will hurt. I had these bad habits. I keep my fingers straight as I pull up the fur and A nice tent pulls up. You want alot of space front to back or it will hurt. I was making my tent longer sideways. That dose not work. I do below the shoulder blades. It takes practice, fur shots, and even poking yourself if u are nervous. But, with practice and confidence and proper technique.. U can do it. Especially with help. The important thing is to get the insulin in your cat. Mine gets a treat after and so do I. I try to visuslize a good shot and what I will be doing afterwards. It will be a challenge for you and you will develop a unique skill set as well as a feeling of great accomishment. Good luck!!

10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Elaine, and welcome!

It sounds like you're in the UK? There are a few UK folks here. I'm in Surrey.

When the vet first suggested that my cat, Bertie, might be diabetic and require insulin shots I was horrified. Even the word 'syringe' gave me the shudders... But while I was waiting for the diagnosis to be confirmed I overcame my fear of syringes by practising giving shots to oranges! I'd put some water in a cup, and then I'd sit somewhere comfortable and quiet and I'd practice drawing up the water into the syringe, and then injecting it into an orange. The more I did this, and the more familiar this began to feel, the easier it became. And when it came time to give a shot to my cat instead of the orange it really wasn't that bad! (Do see the link in my 'signature' below this message for more about our story).

Bertie has been on insulin for 6 years now. But quite a few cats go into 'remission'. That means their diabetes can become diet-controlled and the cat can cease to need insulin. For some lucky cats all that's needed is a short course of insulin and a switch to an appropriate diet for this to happen. 'Appropriate diet' for a diabetic cat means low carbohydrate wet/canned food. Many ordinary foods in jelly are fine (but I'll talk more about specific UK foods later).

Dry food can raise the blood glucose levels significantly in some cats. So removing dry food means that the blood glucose levels can drop. So, for a cat who is already on insulin it is important NOT to remove the dry food unless you are able to test your cat's blood glucose at home. This is because the original insulin dose may be too high once the dry food is removed.

When people first suggested to me that I test my cat's blood glucose at home I was quite shocked. I mean, blimey, I'd only just got over the idea of giving insulin shots! And I was really squeamish about blood, so doing a blood test on my cat was NOT something that I would ever be able to do! But I was wrong. I take a teensy weensy drop of blood from the outer edge of Bertie's ear. It doesn't hurt him at all. And in fact he loves getting tests because he gets treats at the same time!

The following link has some very good pics and info about how to do a blood test on a cat. I learned to test from this page, and with encouragement from the people on this forum. So that you know what to expect when you look at the page I think I should tell you that you will see a small blood droplet on the outer edge of the cat's ear.

http://www.sugarpet.net/bloodtst.html

Will be back later with more info.

Elizabeth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.