Needles/syringe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, Aug 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever removed the protective sterile cap from the syringe and found the syringe damaged beyond use.

My daughter has found several that were slightly bent but this past week found one that was seriously bent. She has also noticed some needles appear sharper than others. Those that are duller are more painful to the cat.

We use Pro-Zinc U-40 insulin syringes.

Has anyone else ran into this before? Damaged needles?? We did bring this to the vet's office attention. They shared that no one had complained or noticed this before. They suggested it was my daughter at fault. (not removing protective cap properly) ...and offered a free in house clinic how to give the needle. We didn't take them up on their offer.

Attached Files:

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Never had that issue but she needs to report it to store she bought them from and also the manufacturer. It may be a bad batch and the manufacturer needs to know in case a recall is needed.

Roops likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I don't think the one in the photo would even fit in a cap like that. The needles are very thin and delicate, so they can be bent. Are you sure there is not a slight chance that your daughter may be unintentionally contributing to the issues? In the past, I had a few occasions where I bent needles and was shocked at how easily it happened. Brand of syringe can factor in as well. I think that when it happened for me I was trying a brand of syringes that I ended up deciding I did not like so I switched. Like with anything, quality is not always the same from brand to brand.

4. Roops

Roops Member

We did advise the vet's office. that is where we currently buy the syringes from. We still have the container with the manufacturer etc on. So can still write them about what we have found. The drugstore won't take the sharpie container with sharps back. Not sure if the vet office will take them back. She has also noticed the stopper? (the black thing inside the barrel) is dislodged, or out of place on a number of the syringes. She had one this morning. I told her next time take a photo of it.

5. Roops

Roops Member

Anything is possible but I don't think she did. That is what the vet's office suggested. Removing the protective cap should be as simple as removing a cap from a marker. She also didn't understand how a syringe could be so bent with the cap on. What kind of syringes do you use? I am thinking we may need to find another kind. We went to the pharmacy but they had nothing to equal the U-40. I think human syringes are also shorter. The actual needle part. I think she said this container and these sharpies didn't have a stamp or maker's name on it. In the past whoever made the needles had their number on it. She said the colouring was also different on this container.

6. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

yes, your description makes me wonder who manufactured those syringes ...

in partial defense of your daughter -- the syringes I was given (they happen to be ReliOn brand) -- have needle caps that are MISERABLE to get off
    I cannot just pull them off, as I would with a Magic Marker

instead, they need to be twisted one way, then another, until they finally let go and come off
    for awhile I was using wetsuit material, the rubber side, to get enough grip to remove them .. and doing it that way, several times I found I was getting stuck with the needle as it rebounded .. :eek::eek::eek::arghh::mad:

easy, in that case, to bump them ever so gently -- :oops::oops::oops: -- and the needle is suddenly 30* off

these are U-100s -- the U-40s I used to use were considerably sturdier

7. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

yes, if the plunger is offcenter or not tracking properly, and the needles are cockeyed inside their protective cap -- that's DREADFUL -- be sure to let us know who the manufacturer is -- obviously then the Quality Control leaves a lot to be desired

8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I use Monoject syringes, but mine are U-100 rather than U-40. You can get U-100 ('human') syringes in different needle lengths. I prefer the longer ones, so I get 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) which is the same needle length that U-40s come in.

Some people use U-100 syringes with their U-40 insulin (like ProZinc) using this conversion chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm When Mia was on ProZinc, I did not do that. I always stuck with U-40 syringes. I bought the ones with 1/2 unit markings from ADWDiabetes.com. They have several brands. I tried a few different ones. I do not remember which brand I preferred (sorry, it's been awhile), but I do know that there were definite differences between some of the brands.

It sounds like you were given a different kind this time (and maybe a cheapo junk kind).

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I think it is FDA regulations that prevent them from being able to take them back even when they are not used. I had a similar issue years ago with a meter not working. It is because it is a product that comes in contact with blood. However if you contact the manufacturer, they will probably send you a replacement box of syringes.

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From the photo it appears that the needle was bent just a little before the machine put the cap on. When the cap was put one the inside of the cap caught the needle tip and the needle was really bent when the cap way fully slid on.
    When I was cat sitting I found two or three defective U40 needles that were unusable. I think that the little rubber ring at the end of the plunger was missing. I do not recall having problems with any U100 syringes that I use.

Roops likes this.
  11. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Hi there. I didn't know what to do with the sharp container either and called our county health department and they take them. So..... sharing that information. :cat:

Roops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.