? Neosporin alternative in Europe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & George, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi

I can't find any neosporin with pain relief here in Spain. Was wondering if it (or something similar)is available elsewhere in Europe? Have any of you European Sugar cats found something similar?

George seems to be managing fine without for the moment you wouldn't know that he is being tested looking at him (guess his little black ears hide the spots), but still would like to use something to help the healing along, and give a bit of relief from the pokes.

Gill

2. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Well I've done that reasarch myself with a pharmaceutical Friend in Portugal that now lives in the UK. There is none. The only creams with anesthetic are hemorrhoid creams... There are some creams with similar antibiotics but are very strong and not recommended unless there is an infection because they can create resistance when you really need them. There are a few options in special healing creams for pets in zooplus.es, as there are in zooplus.pt. But not in the UK though. I am not using anything at the moment. I took my research to the vet and had a chat with her and she told me not to worry a lot about it as long as it seems to be healing well. She told me to just use hibiscrub to keep it clean. If I am only poking morning and evening I don't do anything, just alternate ears. If I am doing a curve I use hibiscrub diluted 1/40 afterwards and afterwards I poke his paws until the ears are healed. I always use hibiscrub in the paws.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful...

Sara
    :cat:

3. Kiara

Kiara Member

Bepanthen Plus apparently relieves pain... apparently antibiotic creams are prescription only in Europe but there are other ointments with pain relief.

http://pharmacybook.net/bepanthen-plus/

It can be used on babies. No word on cats :p

Sushi The Cat likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Thanks Sara,

I hadn't managed to find anything like neosporin with pain relief here in Spain, but thought I'd ask to see if I was missing anything. I'll check out the healing creams on zooplus.es just to see if its worth having in the kitty first aid kit, and tackle any infection if and when it arises.

Antibiotic resistance can be a real issue so I think its wise not to go for anything which might encourage that.

George doesn't appear to be in any pain with his ears, he lets me play with them, and comes up for his BG happily sitting on my knee for his poke, the other morning I set an alarm at 4am and he must have heard it he popped upstairs and hopped onto the bed for his 4am poke, such a considerate kitty, I didn't have to get out of bed for his silly am test:):cat:

gill

5. Gill & George

I think I can get that here, when I asked about neosporin at our local pharmacy she mentioned regular bepanthen (not the plus) I'll ask if its available and speak to the vet see if the active ingredients are OK with cats.

thanks kiara

6. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Sweetie, if he does have something that you don't like the look of it, I am sure they can sell you fucidine cream at the pharmacy. It is prescription only, but they always sold it to me in Portugal. It is an antibiotic, fights infection, so you should just use it if there is one. The vet said that if you can't find hibiscrub (it was hard to find in Portugal), you can use Betadine dilute with water 1/1.

The options from Zooplus are more like preventives, I think... Like this:
    http://www.zooplus.es/shop/tienda_perros/higiene_canina_maquinas_cortapelo/botiquin/211384

The problem with nappy baby creams is just that they are really thick and cats hate it! My cat scrubbed his ear so badly that he actually removed some fur! But you can always try it... ;)

Your cat is really considerate! That is soooo sweet!!!! :joyful:

Hope I could help!!
    Sara
    :bighug:

7. Kiara

Kiara Member

My cat is allergic to Polysporin (the Canadian Neosporin) so we got used to testing without any pain relief. He puts up with it well! If it's just for the pain relief you are probably fine without ointment

Gill & George likes this.
  8. Gill & George

He's absolutely fine at them moment, but as I've had some difficulty sourcing stuff locally I didn't want to wait till it was critical, just wanted something for my emergency kit for him. Betadine is certainly available here, my vet used it to clean out a wound on a stray dog I took in for a while until I found her a forever home. I also used neomycin sulphate cream on that until it healed.

I've got to see our vet later on in the week so I'll ask her, but think I will be getting something to keep the area clean (at the moment just using soapy water), I'm not concerned at the moment as you cant even see he has been poked. But I would like to be prepared in the eventuality that he looks like hes getting sore or getting an infection.

thanks sara you have bean most helpfull

Gill

9. Gill & George

I don't think he's in pain, doesn't even flinch often purrs right through the whole procedure, he just seems to be more interested in the treat he gets after the poke.;) (perhaps need to stop looking for problems where there aren't any)

I won't worry about the pain relief unless it becomes an issue, and I'll see about something to wash his ears with as an infection prevention measure.

thanks kiara

10. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I wouldn't worry to much if everything is so good! I don't think you'll have any issues... But it is always better to be prepared...and you are... So I'll think he'll be fine!
    You are a great Cat Mommy! :cat:

Gill & George likes this.
  11. Gill & George

I can get a bit OCD at times, especially where George is concerned:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.