Neosporin with pain relief - poisonous?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Molly and Sammy, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

I just read a post on a FD Facebook group stating that neosporin with pain relief is poisonous to felines. It's easy to switch lubricants, but I'm concerned that some damage might have been done in the two months I've been putting a dab of this on Sammy's ear whenever I test. Does anyone have more information? Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Opinion here is divided. Some people are worried about the anesthetic agent and some have used it a long time with no ill effects. You have to do what you're comfortable with.

3. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Thank you! I'll probably switch to vaseline just to be safe. I don't think Sammy feels pain when I test, but the gel helps pool the blood.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

No need to use it daily. I only use it if I accidently hit the vein and see a bruise.

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

When there's no infection, there's no need for an antibiotic ointment - it can slow healing greatly. I use plain Vaseline which is what many dermatologists advise too. Can't speak to the 'pain relief' side...

Molly and Sammy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.