? Nervous P. BG reading 45

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nervous Pervis and Terri, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Nervous Pervis and Terri Member

Nervous P's BG readings have been 45 for the past two days. I'm only taking the readings once a day since he's closing in on 2 weeks without insulin. Should I try to get his BGs up? He seems to be feeling fine and is active. He's still not crazy about canned food and only is eating a bit of it, so I've had to supplement it with dry. I am slated to receive my Fortiflora today. I had a few packets that a kind FDMB member provided, so I've been using it sparingly.

Oh, and no more fighting to get his BG test. NP has sat nicely for me and no kitty burrito or assistance of DH needed.

Thanks All!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Nope....no worries there!! Looks like what you have now is a cat in remission!!!....a non-diabetic cat's BG can run as low as the high 30's and still be totally normal

No insulin=No hypo

What a difference!! From 8 units twice a day to Zero!! Congratulations!!!

It IS important though that you continue to work on the low carb canned diet....Now that he's in remission and his pancreas is working again, you don't want to stress it again by eating anything high carb.

He might be in remission, but he's still officially "diabetic"....just more of a diet controlled one. We've seen it happen a lot where people get their cats into remission, go back to feeding dry and end up right back here....and a 2nd remission is a LOT harder to deal with

Again, congratulations on NP!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Thanks for that info. Yes, an unnamed person in our household is already questioning the harm of dry food, but I'm stubborn that way and will keep trying until I find a food he likes. We have a crazy cat, aptly named Sybil, and it took at least six months to find a wet food that she didn't turn her nose up at, so I'm not giving up on him. :bighug::cat:

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

NP's spreadsheet is a joy to read!

I'm so happy for you both, Terri. :D

Mogs

5. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Thanks so much, Mogs. I hope your kitty is doing well.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking about Saoirse. Getting a bit better of a handle on hydration now but it's slow progress because of the constipation issues (a big issue because she has chronic pancreatitis and early stage renal insufficiency). On bad days things have been rough but on good days (i.e. when she has a poop) there is definite improvement (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). Yesterday afternoon Saoirse was interested in playing a little for the first time since the op. Rocked my world. :)

Mogs

7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Thrilled to hear NP is doing so well! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

NP is doing soooo well!!!
    Good job on standing your ground with the wet food.:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Thanks Cathie & Shaak and Gill & George! He's a trooper and I'm stubborn. Luck o' the Irish to you. :rb_icon:

Gill & George likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.