Neurological issues w/ Cricket

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Teresa & Cricket, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

I woke this morning to Cricket acting odd.
    BSL is not low or high
    She seemed confused and out of it but ate fine, took meds fine.

I helped her into litterbox and she peed, then got out and pooped outside of it.
    Observed her for a while and she seemed stable, respiratory rate ok, bsl ok.
    But maybe not seeing well?

I went shopping (was out of food for her) and came back and she is acting weirder, drunk-like. She can't walk well and keeps going up to a wall and just facing it.
    No urgent appts available at reg vets, so I may need to go to ER.

I'm worried she had a seizure or stroke overnight.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How is her appetite? What is her respiratory rate per minute? I think may be right that a vet visit is in order. I hope they can find a solution and she gets better. Had Cricket had her blood pressure taken lately? High blood pressure can influence vision.

Keep us posted. :bighug:

Teresa & Cricket likes this.
  3. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

Close to leaving ER now. They feel it was her tumor —I’ll update more later. We’re looking at quality of life care now. Blood pressure and pulse are good.
    It’s neur, could have been clot, but likely tumor growing.
    MRI too risky with her heart failure,etc
    Echo would tell us if there’s a clot in heart, I opted out because it wouldn’t change treatment and I would rather save the money towards possible problems coming.
    I’m taking off work tomorrow to be with her, and just Hopi g she eats, etc tonight.

4. Wendy&Neko

I hope you have some good quality time left yet. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

Thanks @Wendy&Neko !
    We are home now.
    I will make a follow-up appointment with my vet soon. They basically said there isn't much that can be done unless she seizes- which it doesn't look like that happened.
    They basically think it is likely she has an abnormally large tumor that is growing and therefore affecting brain function. This is also what the IM vet suspected.
    Not much can be done besides an MRI to look at it, which I'm not interested in because of the risk with sedation in her fragile state 1 year post-heart failure. Plus it woudn't affect Tx.

She is having cognitive issues where she was just walking into corners and standing there, and now she is just staring off. In the car, she barely registered that she was in a car.
    She has ataxia and it is worsened by the neurological effects already existent in her right side-specifically the legs (not D neuropathy).
    However, I plopped her on the couch and brought her some canned food that she loves and she ate a 1/3 can, I had to put it in front of her.
    She is in there and I believe she is frustrated because she is whipping her tail occasionally.

The other thing it could be is a clot. There is an option to do an echo (like $4-500) to see if there is a clot in her heart chamber, but it wouldn't change Tx since she is already on blood thinners.

Her BSL was medium, 268 right before we left at +6 hrs and elevated to mid 300's in vet office.
    Her respiratory rate this morning was 23/24 sleeping and not noticeably elevated at vet.
    Blood pressure was slightly high (160) but not a big concern and pulse was good.

The echo and MRI are things I would do if I were financially well-off, just to see. But it doesn't feel like priority.

So we are home, I'm taking off work tomorrow and monitoring her.
    She is still walking up to walls and almost getting lost, but her movement/stability is slightly improved.

The vet said there is a chance this is transitory and she will improve slightly, but nothing is clear. I just have to wait and see.

I will likely do an apptmt at regular vet to do some bloodwork and see if there's anything metabolic.

I was also planning on switching IM vets and my aptmt with the new one is in about 2 weeks.

::Sigh::

I love my little baby and I'm holding out hope.
    :cat:

6. Wendy&Neko

I will hope with you. Give her a kiss from me, :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for Cricket :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

Thank you both:bighug:
    She seems a little stable. Was peeing out of the box, VERY unusual for her, (luckily her pee doesn't smell as bad because of the diuretics) but I got a new litterbox that I fashioned out of one of those plastic trays you put under a large potted plant, which I got at a nursery. She finally used it today!

However, she is constipated. Hasn't pooped since Monday and it is Wed.
    I might pick up some pumpkin?

It is rough tho. She is clearly having a hard time.

9. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried Miralax? Lactulose worked even better for my constipated boy Bronx, but requires a script in the US

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Healing vines for your sweet kitteh. I hope her condition clears up and the tumor recedes a bit to give her some relief.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

I haven't.
    This is the first time i've ever seen her constipated (she went outside for the first 10 years of her life). I am first trying pumpkin and extra water, then I'll move to egg yolk and if those don't work I'll consider something like Miralax.
    Also holding off on freeze-dried snacks.

I'm actually wondering if the neurological issues include some smooth muscle issues because she also peed out of the box 3 times.

But on a high note, she did use the new litter box for her last 2 pees!

Also, My cabergoline finally came in the mail today. I'm starting her right away and will begin a new thread on that.

JeffJ and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  12. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

She pooped overnight and again this afternoon!!!
    (Out of the box, but still happy she's pooping at all)

JeffJ likes this.
  13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the constipation is over with. I bet Cricket feels a lot better too.