Neuropathy and Methylcobalamin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrew and Mim, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

I'm considering trying Mim on Methyl B12 for his forelimb problems (suspected neurological) and wonder about what strength and dose to use. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

3. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Thanks - I've seen Laurie's great site. We don't seem to have the same availability of Methyl B12 in Australia and so far all I've found here is in injectable form at a strength of 10mg/2ml. So I'm not sure what dose that would convert to (I believe there are various strengths available).

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Maybe this can help you......

I remember that Jason used the injectable on Mr. Kitts(GA) and found it on the old FDMB.

Mr. Kitts' Injectable Methylcobalamin Info
    Posted by: Jason and Mr. Kitts (IP Logged)
    Date: July 18, 2006 08:04PM

Well, the big dummy is away from his keyboard, so I thought I would type in some reference information for you that I found on the web (well, ok, he helped a little with the research, I guess).

Background:
    Before getting started, I recommend that you read and/or print out the following collection of research material on the topic of methylcobalamin, and specifically the injectable form of it. You will learn why the injectable version is preferable, why cyanocobalamin is not a good substitute, the benefits that were observed in various studies that were done, and the dosage levels involved. Note however, that NONE of it specifically relates to us of the feline species, so it is not officially established whether or not any of the results or benefits described will have a similar impact on your little buddies. All we can do here is relate our own experience so far. The main reason people here might have an interest is because of its beneficial effects in reversing diabetic neuropathy. However, some of the research seems to point to its ability to help in repairing nerve damage or even in slowing tumor growth. Thus, I emphasize that you at least skim through these papers for some highly valuable and recommended background. Here's the link. It's a Microsoft Word file:
    [drsarma.in]

Where To Get It:
    I originally came across a lot of great information about methylcobalamin on the website of Dr. Neubrander. No, he is not one of those accursed vets, he is actually a people doctor from New Jersey who has had some success using methylcobalamin to treat autistic children. We recommend you read through his entire site as well. He recommends only a very few pharmacies that can reliably compound methylcobalamin liquid. Apparently it's something of a science to do accurately. We used College Pharmacy and found them to be be reliable and reasonably priced. Here is the web page with the list of various pharmacies, and you can click on the College Pharmacy link from there:
    [www.drneubrander.com]

What To Order:
    First, you will need a prescription. If you already have a good relationship with your vet (unlike me, of course), you may be able to simply visit her/him and explain what you want. You may have to bring in your cat and maybe the research materials and pay an exam fee, but maybe not. Liquid methylcobalimin seems to have a standard concentration of 25 mg/ml. The big dummy thought a reasonable daily dose for me would be 2.5 to 3 mg per day, so that translates to 10 to 12 units in a typical U-100 insulin syringe. You can then translate that daily dosage into the number of ml you need to order. In our case, we ordered a 40 ml vial, which is more than enough for 6 months for us. They add a preservative to it to make sure it lasts the full 6 months. It is shipped refrigerated and should be stored that way, too. Cost was about $40 or so plus another $20 or so for overnight refrigerated shipping. Note that there is no known toxic level of methylcobalamin, and it's completely water soluable, so you can relax about giving whatever amount you feel is most beneficial. Uh oh, the big dummy's back....

Folks, I apologize for the gratuitous commentary from my undisciplined friend. But in reading over his exegesis, I see that it appears generally correct, so I will thus pass it along to you unedited.

Jason and Mr. Kitts

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/28/07 11:19PM by Jason and Mr. Kitts.

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread•Report This Message
    Very interesting!
    Posted by: Janet & Binky (GA) (IP Logged)
    Date: July 18, 2006 08:57PM

and [Tagged for Think Tank].

I do have one comment, though:

>a reasonable daily dose for me would be 2.5 to 3 mg per day

We were just discussing that on another thread, in which I commented that the nutritional requirement for cats seems to be in the neighborhood of .3 micrograms per kg cat per day -- so, for an 11 lb cat, 1.5 mcg.

The daily dose of Xobaline, 3 mg or 3000 mcg, is more a matter of convenience than anything else; the pills contain that much, and it's thought to be harmless to give massive doses. But it's also understood that absorption from food and pills is very low. The number I saw tossed around, many years ago, was as little as 1% when such large doses are being given.

On the other hand, all of the injectable stuff goes straight into the system, bypassing the digestive tract. So my thinking is that you could potentially reduce that by a factor of 10 or so and still get very good results. And you would bypass any issues that might result from flooding the system by using injections.

What do you think?

-- Janet

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread•Report This Message
    Re: Very interesting!
    Posted by: Jason and Mr. Kitts (IP Logged)
    Date: July 18, 2006 10:05PM

Hi Janet,

Well, I was thinking more in terms of a theraputic dose rather than the dose to meet nutritional requirements.

A couple of the papers in that collection specifically mentioned high dose levels being used to treat neurological disease. The reason I am using the methylcobalamin at all is to see if it will have any effect on what I believe is Mr. Kitts' lingering damage to his nervous system as a result of his bouts over the years with hyperthyroidism and now diabetes. Since there is no toxic amount, I thought I would give the higher level a try for a while to see what effect, if any, there might be.

The specific improvements I am looking for is reduced "paw twitch" activity, less wobble while walking, and an ability to climb stairs quickly and with minimal effort. So far, I am seeing some improvement in all of these after about one month on the methylcobalamin injections at the dose levels I indicated. When it appears he no longer needs theraputic doses, I would then consider lower levels for nutritional maintenance.

It's all experimental, and of course Mr. Kitts just woke up from his nap to remind everyone he's no lab rat.

Jason and Mr. Kitts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.