Neuropathy is getting Worse

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by krazy4kritters, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Im getting concerned about Diamond’s neuropathy. Last night I noticed it’s starting to effect his front legs too. He’s been getting one Zobaline for eight days now. I know it takes time to get better but I didn’t think he would get worse. He basically lives on the basement steps or under the kitchen table because he is such a scardey cat. I’m got to try using Jackson Galaxy Scardey Cat on him to see if I can get him to relax.
    https://www.jacksongalaxy.com/products/scaredy-cat.html
    I think I might need to adjust his insulin. I guess I’m going with the SLGS method. I have next to nothing on night BG readings because I’ve been sick physically or mentally since this diabetic journey began.
    Has anyone experienced neuropathy in the back and front?
    Anyone try the Jackson Galaxy Solutions?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It can take months for neuropathy to improve. Zobaline can help but the best remedy is getting his BG into better levels overall. I really encourage you to go post regularly on the Lantus forum. It's a large, busy forum but there are a lot of Lantus experts who can guide you through the dosing conundrum. I think you'll feel a lot better once you start working with those people and see some progress on your spreadsheet. :)

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Agree with Kris. There is no homeopathic solution. (Frankly I think Jackson Galaxy, aka Mr weird beard is a weirdo).

Anyhow. Leo had pretty much full neuropathy. This was in late 2016, and we were considering the big decision (to go to sleep). The solution to neuropathy is:
    - blood glucose regulation (with nadirs in the 100-150 range)
    - B12 via Zobaline to rebuild the neural sheaths that have degraded
    - Exercise

We pursued the above on a diligent schedule. Within several months, Leo was noticeably improved. And within 6-8 months he was 95% healed. So there is hope. But there is no immediate cure. It takes those 3 components to get your kitty back to good neural health. Unfortunately not all cats get healed.

With Diamond kitteh, you have not achieve BG regulation. I agree with Kris that you need to start posting on the Lantus forum regularly. Or you need to pursue BG regulation without help. Either way, BG regulation will be the main way to resolve the issue. Neuropathy can be so discouraging. Hang in there and keep at it. It takes a few months to see improvement.

4. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Yes and it is something that I am currently battling. Tyler's neuropathy included a pronounced planter gait that resulted in sores on his hocks.

My aim was to get control of his BG and hopefully keep below the renal threshold per Jeff's figures above.
    I also started Tyler on B12 Methylcobalamin tablets as it is expensive for me to import Zobaline to New Zealand.
    Into that mix I gradually altered his diet away from dry protein poor foods to one that was wet & the right level of protein.

The B12 as far as I am concerned got him reasonably back on his toes after about 2 months. Arthritis is in play here so that also impinges on his mobility. He is of an age but up until the end of August he was still without all these issues.

We have lost ground at the moment due to his hospital stay and ongoing diarrhea issues. Once I feel we are on more firm ground with this, I will restart the above.

krazy4kritters, Juliet and JeffJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.