? Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by surfcat, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcat

surfcat Member

Hi again

I have another question regarding Mousey - she seems to be using more and more of her paws in contact with the floor when walking. It has worsened over the past two months and she will only sit for 30-40 seconds before lying down.

She walks with an uncomfortable sort of arthritic looking gait (she may have a little bit of arthritis going on). She has also had a few failed attempts at jumping up onto the bed.

What do you think looking at these photos of her?

Mousey paws 1.JPG Mousey paws 2.JPG

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It's Zobaline that you need - it's the version formulated for diabetic cats:

Zobaline for Diabetic Cats

IIRC, I've seen US members recommend Vitacost B12 methylcobalamin supplement as being suitable for diabetic felines (you need to make sure there are no sugars, sweeteners, or other weirdness in the ingredients) but I suggest you get confirmation from other members about whether or not it is suitable for cats in general, and diabetic cats in particular.

Here's a YouTube video about Tootsie, whose neuropathy was successfully treated with Zobaline:

Mogs

surfcat and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. underdawg

underdawg Member

I used the Zobaline for diabetic cats and it has worked wonders for my cat. He was almost back to normal after about three bottles. He is a large cat but one pill a day worked well. He has a bit of arthritis but it is hard to see now as he walks. When he had neuropathy, he had quit going upstairs and was not jumping up on any furniture. Now he goes upstairs and is able to jump. He continues to get one pill a day to keep the neuropathy at bay. Every now and then I skip a couple of pills because he gets soft poops. I think this happens when they get too much B12 but after a couple of days, his poop is back to normal. Start the pills before it gets too bad and you shoulc see a quicker turn around. I wrap the pill in a soft treat and he eats it with no complaints.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I crush the Zobaline tablet and add it to Saoirse's food.

Mogs

surfcat likes this.
  6. surfcat

surfcat Member

Thanks very much everyone - I've ordered Zobaline from the US (in-laws) so will see how we go once it arrives.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Low potassium can also cause similar problems that look very much like neuropathy. You might want to have her potassium levels tested, just to cover all bases.

surfcat and Critter Mom like this.
  8. surfcat

surfcat Member

Thank you - will consider this.

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.