? Neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Katie was acting a little strange and out of sorts this morning, just not acting like herself, told my husband I didnt think she was feeling good.
    And then at feeding time she could not jump up to her feeding area (coffee table height). She tried, put her front paws up a couple times and then just sat back down.
    She is not walking on her hocks, but something is definitely wrong here. I thought she looked a tentative last night when I saw her jump up on the cat tree too. I was gone almost all day yesterday, so I dont know if anything happened to bring this on.
    Could it be neuropathy? Her numbers havent been too bad, especially better in the last week, and well under 200 until this morning. Even saw a green 2 nights ago. This morning her numbers were up. I thought neuropathy just happened in uncontrolled diabetes...or am I wrong? Would it show up that suddenly?
    Ordered some Zobaline to be on the safe side.

Update 4 hours later- She just woke up for meal and is still the same. Cannot jump up. Watched her walk, she walking just fine, can jump down, but not up at all. So it has to be the back legs. It seems if she just hurt herself, if would be evident in her walk too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Reason for edit: Update
  2. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

3. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thank you for posting, yes I had read this. I just dont know if neuropathy would come on so sudden and with her numbers. My vet is out until Monday.

4. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

is there another vet you can speak to if you're worried?

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would not expect neuropathy with the BG in your SS.
    And based o that it does not seem to be neuropathy.
    Could she have injured herself a little?

6. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thanks for your reply. She did not injure herself that I am aware of. She is walking fine, no hint of any trouble. It's so heartbreaking to see her try to jump just a couple feet up and not be able to. She will put her paws up and try and then just sit back down. Definitely seems like hind legs because she can jump down without a problem. She had jumped up for her previous meal, four hours earlier.
    I thought neuropathy happened with higher, uncontrolled numbers too, but I cannot find any info/article to back that up though. I guess I just have to just wait and see if it resolves on it own, unless of course, she gets worse.

7. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sky's was sudden. One day she ran upstairs with no problems the next she couldn't and was dragging her leg when jumping. Her walking was fine - the walking on the hocks appeared much much later. Running downstairs has never been an issue. Her only sign was struggling walking upstairs and jumping.

I don't know about what levels it would normally appear at but just wanted to say that it could be sudden. She was checked over by the vets and they initially said spinal problems then cruciate ligament despite showing no signs of pain when manhandled. I would also take Katie to the vet just for a check up.

8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

They hide pain so well that it seems sudden when they finally show symptoms. My cat had a compressed disc and couldn't walk without screaming in pain. Came on after a nap. I laid him on the heating throw I have and turned it on low, suggested by the 1am phone call with the vet. He was walking by morning but I took him to the vet and the xray showed his compressed disc. He also had arthritis. I used glucosamine/chondroitin. Discontinued it while trying to get a grip on his numbers but it did help a lot. It could be worth asking your vet about. If you can apply low heat to her back end it might help too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.