Neutering and regulation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph & Quintus & L & O, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Have any observations been made about a link or absence of link between ease of regulation and neutering? On the French FB group we have a tricky cat who has recently started behaving (numbers-wise) and it seems to coincide to when he had his balls snipped, on 13th December morning.

Here's his spreadsheet (it's in French but numbers and colours translate well :cool:): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UdPHGibRbV-qjTuQJrCwktLNNNdpkfOGti93aEfoaHo/edit?usp=sharing

This cat has a bunch of other things going on: FIV+ (declared, not latent anymore), calicivirus... He of course had antibiotics after the surgery, and we'd been working on the dose... so maybe just a coincidence?

If you know of any studies or empirical observations that point to easier regulation after neutering -- or absence of impact of such surgery! -- I'd be super interested in learning more. Thanks!

2. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Could it be related to hormonal stresses raising cortisol, and therefore affecting insulin? Hormones removed would fix that!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing - hormonal effects on the stress response. I have no direct knowledge or experience though.

4. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

One thing the caregiver noticed, and I don’t know if there is a clue in here, is that as soon as the cat was in better numbers, he would actively try and copulate with the (neutered) female cat of the house…

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Again, I'm guessing: lower numbers = feeling better = getting up to old tricks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.