New, 3 weeks in, still scared, angry and feeling such guilt

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tater's Mom, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tater's Mom

Tater's Mom New Member

Hi everyone, my name is Tina and my big boy Tater was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago now. I took Tater in because he was having a lot of trouble jumping and also walking a bit funny. I thought it was a little early to be arthritis but each is different and he did after all, carry some extra weight for a while now. I was not prepared for what the vet told me. Diabetes. So we left the visit. I learned how to give him a shot and he wasn't so bad about it boy did that change quickly. A week later we went in to test his blood level and as he expected, Tater would be needing 2 shots per day. Well him being "okay" with the shot once a day quickly disappeared. I have tried giving it to him while he eats, sleeps, bought his very fave treats (dried chicken meat) and even giving him the shot in different locations. Now when I go to pet my very loving boy, he flinches and goes to run. When I give him the shot he is growling or hissing at me, both things he has never done. I tell him I would be much happier taking the shot myself or even not having to give him one but he needs the medicine. Mom wants him to get healthy and stay with her as long as he can. I am sure he just hears "blah bah blah mom blah blah".

I knew his weight was eventually going to be an issue. He was 19.2# Dec 2013 and now at 16#. I noticed he might have lost weight but not that much. And I am very connected with my Tater, we snuggle every night and sleep cheek to cheek. He is the most loving cat I have ever had and I don't want him to hate me due to the shots. :(

So can you experienced members please tell me if you experienced similar changes with your pet when this all started?

Another question I have is how long should it take for me to see possible improvement in his walk. Right now I describe it as a "short bus duck" walk. I know I could do better but it is sarcastic humor that got me thru cancer back in 1998 and I use it now to deal with his problem. I in no means ever want to offend someone so if I have or do, please mention to me and I will curb it. ;)

I have a few more questions regarding the type of insulin and very interested in how others were diagnosed by their vet. Mine saw his condition and put him on the floor to watch him walk. Then asked his tech to go get the meter and they tested his blood and here we are. I bring him in every so often to get tested again. Are there better ways? Does this sound right? Or do I need to post such inquiries under a different topic.

Thank you for having this board, I am sure it is a super helpful resource for so many.
    Tina aug 2013.jpg

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the Glucocard 01 at ADW, the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet meters will break your budget!).

It is possible your technique with the shot is hitting muscle, rather than putting the insulin just under the skin.You want to make sure you are rolling up the skin enough to make a good tented area before injecting.

For the difficulty walking and standing, in addition to the glucose control, you'll want the vet to check his potassium levels, plus you can supplement with methylcobalamin, a specific form of B-12 vitamin. VitaCost makes one with no sweeteners which may be used, as well as the brand Xobaline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.