New and concerned Ty may be diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by my4meezers, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my4meezers

my4meezers New Member

At the suggestion of a friend who had a daibetic cat I have joined to learn more and get some help.

I am concerned that my 12 yo Siamese Ty may be diabetic.

My concern started last October when his annual bloodwork showed his blood glucose was "slightly elevated." At about the same time I was switching to lower fat dry food (one of my other cats has food sensitivities) and I started working on switching Ty to mostly wet food. All other bloodwork was good.

After about 6 months I took him back for a recheck of his blood glucose. Other concerns prompted full bloodwork including checking his thyroid. He had some weight loss (thought it was because of the lower fat dry food we switched too), and he was more food obsessed than normal, and he had become aggressive a few times with my Bengal. Once again all bloodwork was good except his blood glucose was "slightly elevated." It was actually the same number it was 6 months earlier. (I don't recall the exact number but I want to say it was 86?)

I went home feeling like there was something wrong that we were missing.

Last week Ty had a few days where it seemed he vomited every time he ate. I finally decided to try giving him Zantac twice a day and the vomiting has stopped.

Something in my gut says the "slightly elevated" blood glucose is more of an issue than we thought. I plan on taking Ty to the vet yet again for more bloodwork, but I want to be prepared and know what questions I should ask.

Oh, BTW, Ty has always been a big drinker/urinates a lot. He has also had some diarrhea on ocassion since that first bloodwork with elevated blood glucose. I also think he has lost more weight, but I will have to verify that tonight.

Any thoughts, insight, etc are much appreciated.

Brandi and Ty

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi there!

GOod on you being proactive!

I would look at other possible issues, like pancreatitis, etc. as well as 86 isn't a diabetic number; if you want a more definitive test than a simple bg test, request that your vet run a fructosamine test on the blood.

Jen

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What was the thyroid value? Even at the high end of normal, hyperthryoidism could be present. I'd be inclined to run a freeT4, if a regular T4 test was done. Increased urine and water as well as weight loss are also signs of Hypert.

Food obsessive and being more anxious also makes me think hypert, but as Jen mentioned, a fructosamine could also help, but as she said 86 isn't a diabetic number. Many times just going to the vet can stress a cat and raise blood sugar, which could explain the slight elevation.

4. my4meezers

my4meezers New Member

Thank you for the information. Having lost two cats to CRF, I have learned the importance of being proactive and listening to my gut.

I honestly don't remember what Ty's blood glucose number was. 86 was stuck in my head. I'll try to find it tonight.

A free T4 was also run with the second bloodwork. It was normal.

Brandi-

5. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

I would also mention Hyper-t which my Sophia has now.... she lost way... drank like a fish and was very restless the coat starting to look bad.

Actually the signs were just like when she started to be diabetic so it could be eitehr diesease

6. my4meezers

my4meezers New Member

I was able to find Ty's blood glucose from the bloodwork. It was 188 both times. That's a lot different than 86.

Brandi-

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I truly believe my Oscar was borderline diabetic for years before he was pushed into bad numbers around Christmas this past year. It is possible to have diabetes symptoms with glucose numbers under 200. Oscar peed a lot always, drank a lot always, and ate a lot always.

I would recommend you try to test his blood sugar at home so you can see how much the vet stress may be effecting his numbers. This will truly give you an idea of how far off his numbers are from the normal range.

It is also possible that with a diet change to high protein - low carbohydrate foods that his numbers will lower all on his own.

I too am curious to know if anything else is out-of-whack in his bloodwork. There are other things that can mimic the same symptoms as diabetes.

8. my4meezers

my4meezers New Member

I have been working on changing Ty's diet. I have been trying to get him to eat mostly wet food. I've been feeding him Fancy Feast Chicken Feast Classic and Purina Pro Plan Chicken and liver. He seems to really like those. Hopefully that will help.

Brandi-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.