New and Feeling Drained Already

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alilblu, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alilblu

alilblu New Member

Hello, I'm new here, and I live in the US. My 14 y/o cat, Willow, was just diagnosed with diabetes, but it's not 100% official. I have to take her in so the vet can check her urine. I don't even have the lab work, but I think they said her glucose was over 500 and normal is between 100-200, or something like that. Even though I strongly suspected diabetes or Cushing's would be the diagnosis, I'm still stressed out. It's mostly because Willow isn't eating which I know is very bad and we're going into a holiday weekend. So the vet's office will be closed Monday and I don't have any insulin (I was told to order it). So, I'm totally stressed about making it through the weekend (I'm not sure if she NEEDS it ASAP or if waiting a week will be ok).

I care for stray and feral cats so money is an issue. I live a very frugal life that the average American could not tolerate. I spend a lot of money on cat food, litter, and veterinary care (I once paid for nine spays/neuters in one month). I realize diabetes isn't a death sentence, but I still don't know exactly what I'm dealing with here (if it's just diabetes or something else going on). I don't know how fast I have to buy all the supplies I need (do I need them right away or can I wait a week or so?).

I'm going to post more in the Caninsulin/Vetsulin forum. Look for me there.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, you will find the information you need here. I see you have posted in the Vetsulin forum. Read the info and stickies (yellow tags) at the top of the forums. Go back to the home page and read the information there. Fix a cup of tea, breathe, give yourself credit for finding this community and being willing to learn. Starting with changing the diet to all wet food can lower blood sugar, Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pate. Not horribly expensive. And doable over the holiday weekend. You are going to do well.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! Usually, diabetics eat a lot yet lose weight because their bodies are unable to effectively use glucose. You said she is not eating. It is probably a good idea to pick up some cheap ketone strips and check her urine as soon as you can to make sure she doe not have ketones.

The diabetes diagnosis is overwhelming for most of us in the beginning, but it gets better. You can get a lot of support and advice here, including ways to save money along the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.