New and looking for advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Btwinny, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Hi . Scout was diagnosed Friday. I started insulin Friday and started home testing Saturday. Sunday i removed all dry food and switched to FF pate. (She has always been free fed dry food... Science diet or iams) Scout is testing app 250-350 before her shot and getting 2u of Prozinc.

I'm getting the hang of all the poking and prodding and testing but now I need to know what to do with the numbers. What's a bad number? Is it dangerous for scout to consistantly be around 250-350 before the shot? Is it to early to hope for consistent lower results?

My SS should be in my signature.... Let me know if you can't see the SS

2. Silvia

Silvia Member

Why do you have 1.5units for some doses? Just curious...

3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I get paranoid that I'm giving her too much. If I do the 1.5 and her numbers Saturday low then I'll keep it at 1.5. But then she pops back up in her BG so I go back to 2. Plus, when the vet prescribed the 2u scout was fully free fed dry food. Now she's strictly wet and I keep hoping that will affect how much I should be giving

4. Silvia

Silvia Member

I get paranoid all the time and can't take my eyes off of him. Both my wife and I just stare at him after I shoot him. But I haven't changed up the 3u, which was started on the morning of April 8. So, 8 injections thus far. I started giving him all wet food on April 2. I suspected diabetes because of his neuropathy and he's pretty chunky ...plus after some obsessive Googling, I decided to switch to wet food because it's just generally better for cats. Diet will definitely make a difference. I really wanted to stick to diet changes first but he was very high and his poor little hind legs were failing so his doctor highly recommended insulin ASAP.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Great job getting the spreadsheet going! The 2u looks like it's a good dose for right now, but you'll need to keep collecting data to be sure, so that you'll know when he needs a dose change (they don't just stay at one dose indefinitely).

Make sure you get a test before every shot. Those help us to see the impact of the insulin as we can see the change from the PS number to the nadir. Then those mid-cycle tests help to know if the dose is too much or too little. Also, the "U" column (units) is blank for the past three mornings. Does that mean you didn't give a shot those mornings? If so, you can put "NS" for "No Shot" in those cells. If you can't remember how much you gave, go ahead and give it your best guess.

Also, keeping the dose consistent is important, so try not to move the dose up and down unless the numbers indicate you need to.

I know it's hard not to be nervous in the beginning, but your kitty isn't just going to have a huge hypo and fall over dead. That isn't how it works. The data shows you are giving a reasonable dose for your kitty's needs, and as you continue to collect data it will tell you when it's time to change doses. The lower numbers will come, and be scary, but good. as Scout gets into the healthier numbers that will allow him to heal.

You're on the right track and doing great.

Please ask as many questions as you have. Everyone here was new once and can help out!

6. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I did not dose those two mornings. I was leaving out of town from 4 Weds until 1 Thurs so I pushed back the AM dose until right before I left.
    So our routine is to test and feed her about 2.5 hours before the shot and then remove all food. Then at shot time I test, feed, and shoot. I test again a couple hours later if I'm home. Last night she went from 343 at shot down to 96 2 hours later. I was scared. Half hour later she was at 122.

Little things like you saying she just won't hypo and fall dead are actually comforting to me. Lol I have no idea how this works. Thank you for the encouragement