New and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phaedra, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phaedra

Phaedra New Member

Hi!

We’re Sarah and Neil, owned by 4 gorgeous kitties. It will be mostly Sarah posting here as I’ve had extensive experience of messaging boards over the years.

This week we went away for a few days camping, leaving the beasts at home, like we’ve done dozens of times before, with plenty of dry food, clean litter trays and water fountains. We got home yesterday afternoon to find our oldest Polly (aged nearly 14) wasn’t well. She wasn’t moving well, was very lethargic and dehydrated. She refused food and treats. I persuaded her to drink a little but she then vomited it straight back up. Within half an hour of getting home we had rushed her to the emergency vets.

Breathing, temperature and heart rates were all fine. She has lost a significant amount of weight though, 4.2kg in February down to 3.7 kg yesterday. Her blood tests showed that she is having a diabetic crisis. Current situation is that she’s been kept overnight and is responding well to the fluids. She was tube fed last night but vomited again which isn’t a great sign but did take a very small amount of chicken hand fed by the vet which she kept down. Her glucose levels are being closely monitored and she is being treated accordingly. The vet is running another full blood work up this morning as well as the glucose testing, will call us later with the results. We’re expecting the emergency vet to keep her again tonight and then discharge her to our own vet tomorrow morning.

I’m kinda kicking myself that we didn’t notice an issue earlier. Back in February she was treated by our vet for a back issue which caused her to appear drunk and very wobbly when walking. Her tests back then showed a slightly raised glucose level, higher end of normal and neither us or the vet were concerned about it at the time. The only indication of anything amiss since then has been the weight loss.

As yet we have no idea how this diabetes diagnosis is going to impact us and Polly. She’s still critically ill but hopefully she can be stabilised quickly and then we can learn how to manage her future health needs.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah and Neil
    And kitties....welcome to FDMB:)
    The first few weeks of having a diabetic kitty can be overwhelming and you will be on a steep learning curve.
    The good news is that it is a very treatable disease and you will get used to treating it!
    It sounds like your girl Polly might have ketoacidosis so it is very good that she is at the vet and getting treatment.

First thing I would do is ditch the dry food for all your cats....but more especially for your FD kitty.
    A low carb under 10% wet/canned food diet is what is needed to help kitty get back on track. There is no need to get expensive prescription cat food which the vet will want to sell you. Which country do you live in as there are different food lists for each country?

The best thing you can do for your kitty....after you have started the low carb wet food is go out and buy a human glucose monitor which should be available at chemists.......I live in Australia so I can't direct you to the exact place as I don't know where you live. It can be hard and scary the first couple of times but it is really easy once you get the gist of it and as long as you give kitty a small low carb treat each time you test, he will not mind at all. Some vets don't like you testing the BSL at home but please don't let that put you off. It is the best and only way to keep kitty safe when giving insulin
    Here is a link to testing the blood sugar levels(BSLs)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Then if you set up a spreadsheet (SS) and enter all the BSLs we will be able to help you. I hope your kitty improves quickly and comes home soon. It is common to loose weight in the beginning especially if they have had the FD for a while and it hasn't been picked up. She will put the weight back on as she improves and her BSLs return back to more normal levels. Here is the link to the SS
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Before she comes home I would go to the chemist and buy a bottle of ketostix which will test for ketones in the urine. Once she is home you will need to keep an eye on any ketones reappearing in the urine.

Ask lots of questions, that is the only way to gain the knowledge that is necessary...knowledge is power.
    If you have any more questions or if we can help you further post on the main forum page....there are more eyes on that page...here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

You will get loads of help and support here....it is a really great place.
    Best wishes to kitty for a speedy recovery. We look forward to welcoming you into our FD family:)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Reason for edit: corrected name
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So sorry your cat is sick. Hopefully she will be feeling better soon. Once she's home we are here for you and will help every step of the way-- you are not alone.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah, Neil and all your kitties.

It sounds as if Phaedra is having a diabetic ketone acidosis (dka) episode and you might have caught it early. If it is, it's one condition that must be monitored closely by you. Phaedra will be prone to it again and kitties can become very sick in a short period of time. The recipe for DKA is not enough insulin, not eating and usually an underlying infection somewhere (normally teeth, urine or kidney). When hospitalized for this it can be for a few days.

With due diligence on your part diabetes in itself can be manageable once you get a routine going. Once that is down, future DKA episodes should be very far and few if at all.

Before Phaedra comes home there are somethings you should have ready to get up and running (you will be running until you learn and have your routine).

Pick up a human glucose meter (pet specific are nice but expensive in the long term)
    Test strips for meter (these are what cost over time, you use a lot of them) more than 1 bottle
    Lancets
    Ketone dip sticks (you will have to monitor ketones for awhile) these are dipstiks you dip in cats urine and alert you to take action to prevent a full blown episode. There are also a couple of blood ketone meters which are more accurate and easy to use should you prefer that. The strips are super expensive so you might consider both methods. If the urine is showing positive then double check with blood meter.

Ditch all dry food for all kitties and remove it from house so there is no chance Phaedra gets into it. And it will help prevent any other kitties from getting diabetes or kidney disease.

We sugar kitty parents have lots of tips and tricks for just about any situation that comes up. Even ways for you to continue to go camping. Even if it means you take him with you. Yes people here take theirs camping, to work, or travel with them when they can.

The MOST important thing to know, BREATHE. You and Sarah got this and we are behind you.

Regardless of what any vet tells you. Home test is the key. If you have to just smile and nod do so. It is the only way to help and keep him safe. We live this 24/7/365. We know what it is like.

2 more important things: always get copies of records and tests done on every visit, and BREATHE.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear that Polly has been having a rough time and for your concern and worry. Bron and Paula have given good information, particularly about breathing! :bighug: It is a lot to take in but we all started there, and countless kitties and "beans" have been helped here.

6. Phaedra

Phaedra New Member

Polly has been discharged into our own vet's care this morning and they are monitoring her through the day. If she stays stable we can bring her home this evening, if not she has to go back to the emergency vet for the night for more intensive care nursing.

It's looking like she will need insulin twice daily at this stage so the learning curve starts now

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so glad to hear Polly is improving.
    Twice a day insulin is the correct way to give insulin.
    Please keep us updated on Polly's progress.
    :bighug: Hugs to you and Polly.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Polly is doing better (I thought the name was Phaedra) sorry I got it wrong earlier. Pick up that meter before you bring her home.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is all overwhelming in the beginning, but it will get better. Read as much as you can on it and ask any questions you have on the main health forum.

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So very glad Polly is better. Yep, the learning curve starts now :) There is a wealth of information here on the board and I remember well trying to learn all I could, as quickly as I could. I worried, lost sleep, read and then worried some more. The only valuable thing in that scenario was the reading. Please try not to worry, and do sleep. A rested person learns more easily than a tired one. Please re-read the responses you got from Bron & Sheba, and Olive and Paula. Very good information and advice, and following will ease your transition into a competent sugar cat parent. We all started at zero, and there is a huge support structure here for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.