New and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jcaits, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcaits

Jcaits New Member

My cat Bromi (in my pic) was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. When I woke up he wasn't able to walk properly and had a huge accident. We got to the vet as soon as possible, and all his other tests results were great, his sugars were 23.

I feel so guilty. I had noticed he was walking on his hocks a few weeks ago but just planned to make a normal check up appointment, but since nothing else seemed to be effected and hes a bigger sized boy getting older so I chalked it up to age. He has diabetic neuropathy and he might not be able to walk properly again.

The financial aspect, all of the learning I need to do, managing another cat who grazes ( I still haven't gotten a full meal in her yet) is weighing on me and I feel like I'm completely failing both of them.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diagnosis. Yes, indeed, it is a steep learning curve – but it becomes second nature quite quickly.
    We can help with ideas about neuropathy, feeding, and how to save on costs.
    Please make a post in the Main Health Forum telling us a bit more about Bromi and what the vet recommends as regards treatment.

(Since you are new, it may take a few minutes before you are allowed to make another post. It's to keep out the spammers.)

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome and Yes to what Red & Rover (GA) said. It does feel very overwhelming at first, but it does pass as you learn about feline diabetes and how treatment can affect your kitty's health for the better. Many of us experienced the guilt that we might have done something or not done something, but going forward with information and the support you will find here is the key to Bromi feeling better. You could start with creating a signature that will contain Bromi's pertinent information and is appended to each of your posts. Here is a link to do that: SIGNATURE
    That will save you repeating the same information and other members having to either search for it or ask again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.