New Canned Food at Petsmart

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chrissy66, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

I subscribe to their emails being I shop with them but got an email today that they have a new canned food. Love how it only has 3 ingredients. The only downfall each one has rice in it. Here is the link if anyone wants to look at it. I think we are going to try one can on stinkpot(Candi) but she is a finky eater and loves her pate food. Think this would be good as a treat since her numbers are staying normal.
    https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...s&page_name=BrandShop&category=Applaws#tabs-1

Sylvie likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

They make good food but it isn't a balanced diet for full-time feeding. I copied this directly from Dr. Lisa Pierson's food chart:

"This company does not make any balanced diets for full-time use. The Cans, Layers, Pots, and Pouches are intended to be fed only as a supplement to a balanced diet. “Supplemental” diets do not contain enough calcium, etc. These unbalanced diets should not make up more than 15-20% of the cat’s total caloric intake. Stated another way, if you feed your cat 21 meals per week, you could use these products for ~4 meals per week as stand-alone meals or mixed with a nutritionally balanced product."

I think it's hilarious that you call your Candi stinkpot; I have a Candy and I call her stinkerbutt! :joyful::cat:

3. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Okay thanks Squalliesmom. Love Stinkerbutt for your Candy. So cute.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

the chicken breast and pumpkin canned looks like it would be great to have on hand for upset stomach times, will have to try that one out. It is 5% dry matter carbs so that is great but, like squalliesmom said not a complete diet, people will need to make sure to mix in a complete cat supplement if they choose to feed only this brand.

but, do think their feeding instructions are seriously ridiculous, one 5.5oz can for a 5-10 lb cat / two 5.5oz cans for 10+lbs, hello one 5.5oz can is only 83 calories! people not knowing better are going to be starving the poor things.

5. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Yeah, that is why I was thinking if she liked it just offer it as a treat maybe a can a month but I wouldn't think of changing from her Nulo being how much she loves her pate food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.