Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara Kitcherman

Barbara Kitcherman New Member

My cat Teddy is 10.
    Shes my heart.
    Does anybody have any suggestions for reasonably priced dry food or wet food.
    Weve been using Fancy Feast and Purina One. She seems to be having an allergic reaction. The Vet wants us to try another type of food.

Thank you,
    Barbara

2. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi Barbara, I just switched to friskies pate and my cat never turns it down, he is such a food hog. It is higher carbs than fancy feast so I gave him 1/2 can twice a day, it seems that there is many cats who are developing sensitivities with wet canned food. I may have to switch again but that is where I’m at now.

Barbara Kitcherman likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Is that Purina One dry food? If so, it is very high in carbs. (I fed my girls Purina One Hairball Formula before the diabetes.. before I knew better.) Wet food is much better for cats than dry food (for more reasons than just carbs). Catinfo.org has all the information you could ever need on that topic. There is also a cat food database (wet foods only) that can help you find appropriate foods to try: http://catinfo.org/chart/index.php Is Teddy diabetic? If so, you will want to keep the carbs as low as possible, definitely below 10%. That's a good idea for any cat but especially for our little diabetics.

I cannot offer any recommendations on lower priced options, but I am sure others here will. I use Weruva and would not call it 'reasonably priced'. :)

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

For food allergies, it’s best to find a limited ingredient, novel protein food, such as lamb, rabbit or duck. Since so many foods have fish or chicken, be sure to read the ingredients list. An alternative is a home made food, but be sure to include a vitamin supplement made especially for home made raw or cooked meals. Here’s some great info on food
    http://catinfo.org/

5. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

What food brands would they be and does it come in individual cans as I too would like to try it in a single can

6. Barbara Kitcherman

Thank you

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what brands, although I think Natures Variety, and Merrick have a few. I don’t have a cat with skin allergies, but if I did I’d start with no grains, and no fish. Unfortunately Friskies has both in most of their foods.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

10. Barbara Kitcherman

11. Barbara Kitcherman

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that, Barbara. (Wasn't sure from your opening post.)

While you're waiting to start insulin treatment it's a wise precaution to regularly test for ketones. Here are some helpful links:

Testing your cat for ketones

Tips for collecting urine samples

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.