New cat owner, Diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SandyB127, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Hi i am a new cat owner, two months now and i just found out Pudgie my cat has diabetes and i am a nervous wreck. A little store about Pudgie, she was my mothers cat and my mother passed away couple months ago and my brother was going to put Pudgie in a shelter which i said no way because she is a awesome cat. I took Pudgie to the vet and had blood work and urine to find out she is diabetic and has a UTI :-(. I am on SSI and cannot afford this medicine. A cat was not in my future for i have limit income. I am very happy to have Pudgie now because she is a good girl. Now with her health issues at the age 16 i am losing sleep and very worried.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Well you came to the right place. What insulin did the vet put her on?

3. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Such a generous thing, to take on the care of a beloved cat who needs a home! There is lots of good information here to help you educate yourself to make the best decisions regarding Pudgie's care. It may feel overwhelming at first, but take some time to read and digest that information. As far as paying for the medicine and testing supplies, there are ways to keep it affordable.

For the initial outlay, you may be able to get help from Diabetic Cats in Need. Beyond that, there are inexpensive options for food and for glucometers and test strips. Many people here get their insulin from a mail-order pharmacy in Canada, which is much less expensive; I haven't used them so I don't have details, but others here can offer help with that, if that's a route you want to take.

Welcome - and wishing you the best as you start on this scary but manageable journey!

4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to this group! It can all feel very overwhelming at first. I've been through that and there are some days I am over anxious too. But it gets easier. I am very low income and struggling so I know the worry here.

I reached out to friends who have donated me test strips and a meter that they had in abundance. I buy the cheapest insulin I can find (and my vet prescribed) which is Novolin N at Walmart and that plus needles (both of these to last about 6 weeks) is less than $40.

First things first, what are you currently feeding Pudgie? She would likely benefit being on a low carb wet food asap. Check out this list and look for 10% or less on the carbs. I use friskies pates right now because they are more affordable. https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

It will get easier. It will feel hard some days and it will still get easier.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy and welcome to FDMB. I'm glad you found this board so that you can get some information and get Pudgie feeling better as quickly as possible. First, are you treating the UTI? I hope you have been able to do that much, if you have ever had a UTI, you know how uncomfortable to downright painful that can be. Plus, an infection can significantly raise a cat's blood sugar, so getting that infection out of the way is going to help Pudgie a lot!
    As Erin & Scott said, there is a foundation that helps people with initial expenses, and even ongoing expenses if they are qualified. Click on this link for more information: http://www.dcin.dreamhosters.com/
    We can help you learn about feline diabetes and how to properly care for Pudgie. You don't need to be losing sleep and worried all the time. You will need to do some reading about diabetes treatment,l learn about insulin, what a proper diet is and how to test her blood sugar. Pudgie probably misses your mom too and now doesn't feel at all well. Her little world has turned upside down. You are the one that can help her now, you are the superhero in this story.

6. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Hi and thank you all very much for reaching out and the information. I am looking into getting help for Pudgies Insulin and other thing. Pudgie is eating very little and not much water, i give her Blue wilderness grain free wet food. The vet said Vetsulin but can change to another Insulin. Pudgie UTI is not treated yet because of my funds are very low I'm looking for a cheaper vet. I am trying to find a vet that is local to me, her vet is 45 minutes away from me. I have a learning disability and do not understand things well so please everyone bare with me. I am sure Pudgie misses mom and i am being the best mom to Pudgie as i can. I am overwhelmed and hope this does get easier.

7. Idjit's mom

Sandy, I am tagging someone who is associated with the DCIN and may be able to give you some information about getting some medication for Pudgie's UTI and look into diabetic care. @Chris & China (GA) I don't imagine Pudgie feels very well and that's why she's not eating or drinking. However she needs help as soon as possible.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

We are very patient and Will explain whatever you need and answer questions. I'm going to tag Chris who is associated with an organization called Diabetic Cats in Need. They can help you with starting out. It will require you to fill out some forms to qualify but dcin can help.

@Chris & China (GA)

SandyB127 likes this.
  9. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Janet thank you very much ! I also need to know what food is good for Pudgie that does not cost a lot. Pudgie has always been a picky eater and yesterday i bought her whole hearted wet food grain free and she does not like it so back to the store. Thanks again

10. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

I did reach out to one organization for help and waiting on answer. For Insulin, test strips meter and whatever else Pudgie needs. Than you all

11. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

I watched a video on how to inject insulin and pricking the ear for test strips, i hate needles also i do not have anyone to help me give the shot and Pudgie is not easy to hold any suggestions ?

12. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Does anyone know about Blood sugar gold ? (Herbal) From Amazon. I have been giving to Pudgie and seems to help i think

13. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Thank you ! I have a organization helping with Pudgie Insulin,some strips and some needles to get started. But i do not have help with convenia shot and glucose curve. Do you know of anywhere that can help ? I do not know if i am doing this message board right, not getting answers here. I am not good with computers and web search sites. Thanks again, Sandy

14. JanetNJ

Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. Friskies is pretty inexpensive. There is a food chart in my signature. Pick foods under 10 percent carb.

15. JanetNJ

Many find if they inject while the cat is eating that it doesn't even notice.

16. JanetNJ

Covenia is an antibiotic. Generally oral antibiotics are preferable. Glucose curve is a glucose test every two hours for 12 hours. If you learn to test at home you can do that yourself.

17. Idjit's mom

Sandy, post these questions and concerns in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can see and respond. We have many members that can advise you on how to give injections, test Pudgie's blood sugar, the Covenia and how to do a glucose curve. This Introduction forum is just the welcome mat and more members monitor the Health forum in order to be of assistance. You will get answers if you post there. This is a peer reviewed board, and we like other members to see and be sure that responses and advice are correct.
    Take a few minutes and look at the different forums from the forum menu: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/
    You aren't going to do anything wrong, just look and explore, get comfortable.
    How to Start a Thread
    To start your own thread, go to any forum and click the orange “Post New Thread” button.
    You can then add a thread title and add content to the first post and click “Create Thread”. You can choose whether to watch a thread and receive email notifications when there are new responses.
    How to Add A Post in a Thread
    Adding a new post to a thread is very similar to creating a thread, except you don’t create a thread title first. Simply go down to the bottom of the thread and you’ll find a Post Reply input box. The “More Options” button allows you to Preview the post and sign up for thread notifications.
    When you post, be sure to say that you need it kept simple, that you are new to the message board format and not computer and web search savvy.

Create your signature so that Pudgie's information is showing with your posts:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters)
    When you start testing we will help you set up the spreadsheet so you can record the insulin injections and blood sugar tests you get.
    One step at a time will get you there!

SandyB127 likes this.
  18. SandyB127

SandyB127 New Member

Thank you for all this info for my Pudgie girl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.