New cat to the board

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CaspersHuman, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaspersHuman

CaspersHuman New Member

Hi,

We've been lurking for a while, but Casper finally convinced me to make our introduction...

Casper is 7 years old and was introduced to me when he was 3 (in early 2006). He was diagnosed with diabetes in late February 2010. Before the diagnosis he was on dry food since birth. He's always been an interesting character and perhaps more than little insane about food... Now in retrospect I wonder if this problem was lurking for a long time...

At any rate, Casper's weighs in at 11.2 pounds and eats 4 times a day - the lowest carb canned foods that I can get him to eat. Usually that's Merrick Southern Delight or EVO 95% Venison. He likes Grammy's Pot Pie too, but I worry that's a little high in carbs for regular meals.

His vet put him on Lantus from the start. He was on 1 unit BID for the first several (5) weeks. During that time I did some research of my own and realized that Casper's vet has a more relaxed approach to insulin dosing than I'm comfortable with. Perhaps not unheard of for vets, her approach is to limit testing to extreme situations and change doses over long periods of time (many weeks) based on clinical observations.

I want to do the most that I can for him, but I try to temper that with the realization that I don't have a PhD. or any experience with diabetes. Recently I started Casper on the Roomp/Rand protocol (without doc's knowledge - yet). We've been testing and slowly (I think) bringing up the insulin dose to the point where I'm starting to wonder if this is making any difference at all.

I'm going over to the LL board to post some numbers, but any advice, criticism, or encouragement is very welcome.

Regards,
    CaspersHuman

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sorry you are having a tough go! But do not despairaj you do not need a PhD! You need common sense and a willingness to learn. The people at lantus land will help you with the details...

3. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board - there will be much help for you here and on the Lantus Board - I'm so sorry you had to join us but you've come to the best place to learn to take good care of your "extra sweet" Casper, who is , by the way, a very cute guy.

A great many of us on here were not knowledgeable about diabetes when we came on here but it's a group effort and there is so much support.

Good luck with your treatment of Casper - you're taking a major step by being so pro-active.

Will watch for your posts.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

4. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Welcome...sorry you have to be here but glad you found us! I never used lantus and my diabetic kitty has been an angel almost 2 years now so I will not try to advise on your kitty. But know that we are here to support you and help you in any way we can.
    And I do think going to lantus land will get you a lot of help.
    Casper is adorable!

5. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, Casper's human! You are in the most wonderful place here. It sounds to me like you're doing an excellent job, and I know you'll get all the support and information you need in Lantus Land (the Lantus discussion board). With their help following the Roomp/Rand protocol, we were able to achieve remission for our kitty after 15 months on insulin -- and so many other kitties are living healthy lives with diabetes.

Trust me, I have NO scientific ability, so you'll be fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.