New civvie with colitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meya14, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

So my long ago ex is moving and cannot take his cat, so I'm re-inheriting a cat I use to live with when he was younger. We got Jack as a stray by our house, he was probably about 4-6 months old. He was tested for FIV, feline leukemia, and other infections. Since he was young, Jack has had recurring colitis (mucus, blood in stool, loose stools). He seems to get urgency with these too. My ex told me that recently, he's been having accidents around the house. Jack is about 12 years old now, I haven't lived with him for 8 years.

I'm wondering where I should start as far as trying to minimize episodes? My plan is to feed the wet food my other 2 cats eat (Wellness), since I'm pretty sure the kibble is contributing. For others who have dealt with colitis (not so much IBS), does pumpkin help? Other food additives (kaolin? - this is used in people sometimes)? I have a feeling that he's unable to digest certain carbs, and his colitis is somewhat like how humans get lactose intolerance.

At what point do I consider medications?

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I have ulcerative colitis. I have found that vegetables and anything with a lot of fiber causes a flare up. I would look for food with low fiber or a raw food might help. I sure hope he starts feeling better. I'm sure having accidents would hurt his dignity . Poor little guy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi-
    A few things to consider....
    Pumpkin
    Slippery Elm Bark (separate from other meds by about 2 hours)
    S. Boularidi
    a good pro biotic
    a novel protein food source (many use foodfurlife) and add a novel protein ...

I am sure some experts my have more insight
    good luck and you are Jacks angel!!
    :bighug:

4. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Fiber is what I use for my colitis kitty. Many times it is caused by stress. So, pumpkin or unflavored psyllium husk will help. I would also add a probiotic daily.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.