New diabetes diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TrtlGrl217, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

Hello everyone. My 12 year old male kitty, Tyler, was diagnosed today with diabetes. My vet wants to change his diet and start insulin shots tomorrow. This is all very overwhelming to me as I have very little knowledge of this disease. From what I've read, insulin has to be adjusted as the diet is changed. I am just wondering if I should change his diet and then when he's adjusted to that start the insulin shots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome! I was a hot mess when Pita was first diagnosed less than a month ago, so we all went through that phase (I still find myself there)! Go through and read all the stickys on the forums and ask as many questions as you need! There are much more experienced people who will respond soon. However, when Pita was diagnosed, I took a few days to switch to all wet food and then began insulin about 4 days or so after. His drinking and urinating both decreased before I even began his shots. I suggest waiting a few days for the food to become stable before starting his insulin. Many of us feed Fancy Feast Classic flavors. Things people will want to know:
    What kind of food is he currently eating?
    What type of insulin did your vet suggest and at what dose?
    Any other health concerns?
    Do you know what his numbers were when diagnosed?

Try to set up a spreadsheet or someone can help you create it. Also create a signature- the light gray part we all have underneath our names-contains location, dosing, etc. Are you able and willing to home test? Most of us do and the most popular seem to be the ReliOn human meter-brand from Walmart (less expensive supplies) and the AlphaTrak pet meter (more expensive supplies). That's all I can't think of right off the bat, but take a deep breath! This is truly an amazing place to be and people are so supportive. Keep us updated!

primalkitty and Kris & Teasel like this.
  3. Caitlin M

Reported

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi again! As Caitlin said, you can switch your food first. There's no need for vet prescribed food either, any low carb wet food will do. Many of us feed Friskies Pate or Fancy Feast Classic just make sure there's no gravy, grains, potatoes or other starches. To know if it's safe to give Tyler insulin, you need to learn to home test his glucose it's really easy to learn and we'll help you. Heres some info to help you get started.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    Keep asking questions!

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Did you report yourself, Caitlin? LOL :).

Welcome Tyler and his Mum! I agree with Caitlin, if you are going to switch his diet do that first before starting insulin and it is highly recommended to be willing and able to home test him with these changes. Sharon gave you some money saving tips that most of us use because the costs can seem overwhelming on their own. Most of us know exactly what you are feeling but we are here to help, so ask any question! This is a support group for Tyler and YOU :bighug:

6. Caitlin M

Haha Yong, it was removed! Any Updates Tyler's mom?!

7. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I am so overwhelmed and keep finding myself in tears over this new diagnosis. He is now on Fancy feast, I found a page that broke down carb and protein content in wet foods, and luckily, several of his favorite foods are on the list as being very low carbs. We have not been prescribed an insulin yet, my vet was telling me about two different kinds, but I am noticing that there are way more than just two to choose from. I need to get a inhome glucose test. Looks like the Walmart one is a good choice. Is he really not going to feel me poking his ear? I am so scared to start this process but very thankful to have you all here being so helpful.

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Most kitties are very tolerant of home testing. One thing to do to prepare him is to choose a spot to test and take him there numerous times and just rub his ear and give him a treat. He will start to anticipate the treat and hopefully won't notice when you add the prick for the test. Be sure to know how to use the meter and watch some videos so you're prepared . Also try to stay relaxed because he will feel any anxiety you have. Some people find it helps to sing while you test. Give it a try and if you have any problems, post and we'll try to help you.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

How are you feeling today, Tyler's mum? :bighug:

10. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Yes, I was totally a "hot mess", too! I definitely got through it with the help of all these awesome folks here! My Griff Kitty loves his attention and treat time. I start to walk over to the "place" and he follows me. I sit down and he curls up next to me and we get 'er done. He then gets a yummy salmon treat! It took a few days for him to get to this stage though. He was super squirmy at first and I had a terrible time getting blood. I have started using the warm rice bag trick and it has done wonders!

Welcome, you will get through this. :bighug:

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat barely notices me testing her ear. We were all overwhelmed at first, but it quickly becomes routine. I promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.