New diabetic cat Caretaker

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by krazy4kritters, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

My cat Diamond was diagnosed yesterday as diabetic. He is currently at the vet so they could test his urine for sugar. I get to pick him up this afternoon. They will go over giving the insulin to him. I haven't decided which insulin would be best. I brought up home testing. I'm afraid I won't get adequate support or info on doing that. I'm sure they are going to push some crap prescription diet.

I've never been able to get good advise on how to get my big boy to loose weight. He is currently 23 pounds (down from 27). He is a very big guy and should probably be around 18 pounds. I just put everyone on a strictly canned diet. I'm concerned with him loosing weight to fast and managing his diabetes. I'm glad I found this sight. Looking forward to digging in and gaining some knowledge.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Many vets don’t support home testing, but you don’t need their permission to do it. We will help you learn how and what the numbers mean. Come to the Main Health forum and let us know what your vet says and ask any questions you have.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

Don't worry about the testing, as Sharon said we will help you with that and you will be doing it at home so you don't need permision from your vet to do it.

Just changing your kitties to wet food will probably help them lose some weight (mines did ) which will be an extra benefit, it doesn't have to be a prescription diet you just have to make sure the canned food you are giving is low carb, this is a link of Dr. Lisa's list where you can check if the one you are giving is ok ( it will be ok if is 10% or less in carbs ) or find one that suits you that is
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
    Post any questions you have in the Main Health fourm where there are a lot more people

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Diamond!

Thread Status: