New Diabetic Girl

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meghan, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meghan

Meghan New Member

Shelby.jpg I just found out this morning that my 14 year old female Shelby has been diagnosed with a case of severe diabetes. The vet also said her kidney, pancreas, and liver functions were low. They are starting her on insulin 2 times a day (I do not know the brand yet). This comes as a huge unexpected shock, she has not lost weight or shown any symptoms. I thought her pee spots on my rugs this week were her ways of telling me she had a UTI. Will her new diagnosis affect her quality of life? I do not want to be selfish but I do not want to see my sweet girl in pain. To say my heart is breaking and I am overwhelmed with this news would be an understatement. Thank you for any advice in advance!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Meghan,welcome to you and Shelby. While it is overwhelming at first, feline diabetes is a very treatable condition. Since you haven't started insulin yet, now would be a good time to start Shelby on a low carb wet food and learn to home test her blood glucose. It's really easy to do and is the best way to keep her safe and know how well the insulin is working. Come to the Main Health Forum and ask any questions you have. We will be glad to help you learn all you need to know to get Shelby on the road to recovery. If you'd like, post the results of her bloodwork we have several members that can help you interpret the results.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your pretty girl. We all understand the shock that happens at diagnosis. Post any questions you have on the main health forum so we can get started helping you. We direct people there because that forum has more traffic. Take a deep breath ... :bighug:

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You're only freaked out because you love Shelby. Once you get established here you'll get a chance to digest information from hundreds of people that have all gone through this. Noah is our second diabetic cat but I can remember standing in the vet's office like I just got hit by a truck. Sound familiar? Start by going through all the general advice sights and get set up in Feline Health/The Main Forum. Stay calm, Shelby needs you and you've come to the right place.

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My kitty J.D. was diagnosed when he was 11 and passed away when he was 20. They can live a normal life span. This is doable. If your kitty has a possible infection, I would buy ketone test strips and check her for ketones at least daily if her numbers are high. You have come to the best place you never wanted to be. We will become like family to you, if you keep posting, as we all care about the kitties and support each other. There is a huge wealth of knowledge here. More than most vets ever learn, unfortunately. Please keep posting about your pretty girl.

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hey! Glad to see you here. There are so many very experienced folks here and everyone loves to help. When you feel overwhelmed remember we are here for you.

Dyana likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Meghan and Shelby!
    There are also other kitties who have more than just diabetes going on with their health here. You will find a wealth of information and support for you and Shelby :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.