New diabetic Mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buzz's Mom, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz's Mom

Buzz's Mom New Member

Buzz was diagnosed with diabetes on Wednesday and I have been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since. For a few weeks now he has been urinating in a corner in my dining room. Unfortunately I misdiagnosed this as a behavioral problem since I was spending so much time away from home with school, work and a social life. I slowed my life down some to be home more but that didn't stop the urinating in the floor. I then scrubed the litter box and even switched litter brands completely trying to figure out what was wrong. Over this last weekend I realized he just wasn't acting himself anymore. It was this time that I thought about his changes in eating habits and that he was drinking more water than normal. Tuesday night was my wake up call! I came home from my bowling league, pulled back the covers on my bed to find that he had urinated in the exact spot that I sleep and where he often sleeps during the day. This told me that this was his way of getting my attention. Having only lived in McKinney for a year, I had not establised a vet so I began to search online. I dropped him off before work on Wednesday and received the dreaded call around noon. The vet told me that he had a bladder infection and very high levels of glucose in his urine and that she was 99% sure he had diabetes but could not completely confirm until the blood results returned. With my mom having diabetes, I hung up the phone and cried knowing this was going to be a lifestyle change for me and Buzz. The vet talked with me when I picked him but I was feeling so many emotions, the conversation was a blur. She did call me on Thursday to confirm that his glucose level was at 524 and she stressed that was a very dangerous level. Over the last few days I have felt financial stress, emotional stress and guilt for not knowing sooner that it has completely drained me. Being a single mom of 2 cats, these last 3 days have been a huge financial struggle but there is no way I could walk away from him or just not treat him...it's my job! I dread starting the shots and monitoring his glucose levels because he is a big, agressive cat but I know this is something I have to do for him and I will do whatever it takes.

I am so thankful for this message board so that I connect with others that have dealt with what we are going through and learning with the other newly diagnosed parents.

2. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

I know just how you feel - in fact many of us here do so you are definitely in the right place. Hopefully you have read about gently changing Buzz's diet to a high protien, low carb one and being careful to monitor blood glucose (BG) levels durnig this time as it typically helps to reduce their numbers and could result in dangerously low blood sugar.

For now, read, read, read about all things related to this rotten condition. You can find the information about beginning your spreadsheet in this section of the messageboard http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157.

It is also helpful for advice givers to know what type of insulin you are using. Try not to stress too much about not figuring it out for as long as you did, I did the same thing. It wasn't until I read one of Dr. Lisa's articles while looking for what his problem may be that I suspected diabetes, well into his problem. His numbers stayed pretty high until I started home testing and changing his insulin amounts. Like you I was really worried about doing home testing and shooting, because Ollie has always been difficult to work with when it came to other things like taking medicine or getting flea drops. In fact one time when I was trying to give him some medicine, he hooked me so bad I got cat scratch fever - my hand swole up so bad it was like a baloon and the penicillin shots I was getting were not working I almost ended up in the hospital! When I started testing though he didn't argue at all. In fact, he has been quite amiable and only making me follow him around tho whole house one time. I think they know when you are there to make them feel better and don't put up too much of a fight about it. Unfortunately, I'm sure it helps that when they're bg's are really high they're probably feeling too cruddy to complain.

In any event, I wish you luck in your immediate future with the stress and new routine. Remember that your energy turns into his energy so stay as calm as possible so that he doesn't feed off of your anxiety.

Roz

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi there and Welcome!

Sounds like you have luck and and found a decent vet for Buzz. I assume since you mention testing the vet has suggested home testing? This is one of the most important things in treating FD and I wanted to point out before you get started that you do not need to purchase an expensive special pet meter from your vet (eg. Alpha Track) these meters are very pricey the test strips cost considerably more and are not redily availible. Most of us are using a simple human blood glucose meter that can be purchased at any pharmacy (popular is Walmart's Relion meter, the test strips are less expensive and most people have a Walmart nearby). The other important thing is food, again you don't need to purchase an expensive diabetic or diet food from your vet you can feed an appropriate high protein low carb canned food by using the food lists here on this site (most are availble at grocery stores and pet supply shops).

The good news is that Buzz has a UTI! Wait, how can that be good news? In a large portion of cats the diabetes is worsened or manifests as the result of some sort of infection or inflamation in the body (eg. UTI, bad teeth etc...) the inflamation and immune reations going on increase certain hormones (catacholomines and cortisone) which raise blood glucose levels and keep them raised. Most cats in this situation can achieve full remission of the diabetes once they are properly treated.

Treatment in this case involves several steps... First treating the infection/inflamation with appropriate antibiotics and pain medications (if you ever had a UTI you know how much it hurts!) Second getting the cat on an appropriate diet of low carbohydrates and high protein (think Catkins instead of Atkins diet :D ) canned foods which have less than 10% calories from carbs and free from added sugars or grains are best. In addition feeding a wet food will ensure Buzz gets the water he needs to keep his bladder/kidneys etc. in good working order and prevent future UTI's. Lastly giving insulin to lower the BG and prevent further organ damage (damage to the pancreas which produces insulin). Often we only need to give insulin for a short period of time (weeks or a few months) and the pancreas can heal and begin working on it's own again.

There is alot of information availble here on this site and lots of people who were at one time in the same situation and felt just like you do now, but with all the help and support they found here diabetes becomes a very manageable condition. So I encourage you to read all you can here and ask questions. Give us as much information as you can about Buzz and what your vet has recommended.....

Important questions are what food are you/will you be feeding?
    What brand of insulin has been recommended, and which dose and how often?
    Will you be regularly hometesting? (This means you do not need to pay for stays at the vet to have a "curve" preformed)

The intial diagnosis and begining treatment is usually quite expensive but it doesn't have to be a reoccuring expense, most of us hometest and do not need frequent vet visits for blood testing or glucose curves and dosage changes (monitoring). The intial vet visit with the blood, urine and other tests plus the medications and intital supplies can be quite expensive, but usually these are a 1x expense. The bottle/pen of insulin is pricey but should last you a long time (and if your cat goes into remission it may be the only one you purchase!) syringes are not expensive and appropriate cat food need not be expensive either (many people here are feeding brands like Fancy Feast or Friskies) the biggest reoccuring expense will be the test strips for your meter, but these will still be much less expensive than having your vet do all the testing or risking an emergency at the vets because your cat has had a severe hypoglycemic event or develops serious condition of Ketoacidosis due to not enough insulin. You proabably have heard of all these things if you know someone who is diabetic.

So welcome to the sugar dance!

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Buzz's mom. I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but the good news is that diabetes is so, so treatable. And, it's not terribly expensive. Once you get your supplies, you're set - you really don't need much vet care after that.

There are a few of us in the area. I'm in Coppell; I use hebroncats.com in Carrollton. I would be more than happy to come visit you if you want help getting started.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best site on the planet. There is much to learn but nothing not doable. You may want to start with the FAQ's. I'm sure others will be along to help with any questions that you have.

Jeanne

6. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Hello;

I am sorry that you are now going thru this with Buzz. It seems terribly overwhelming right now, but it DOES get easier.
    Many times, a diet change alone, to a low carb wet food diet will make for a drastic change in your kitty's BGL.
    Please feel free to ask LOTS of questions - we were all newbies once.
    I live in your area, (sort of), too. I am in S. Garland.

~M

7. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

You have indeed found the best source and support on the internet for diabetic cats and their care givers. When my cat, Tilei (GA) was diagnosed the vet was ready for her to be put down. She was an aggressive cat around the vet. He used to have to wear leather gloves just to handle her. He honestly didn't see a way I would be able to provide Tilei her treatment.

He was a real old vet, but one that was savvy to all the modern technology. In a matter of a about 10 days time, Tilei (GA), accepted the shots, the testing and the new routines of her life being administered by me. In addition the vet found the value in hometesting because of her aggressive nature at the vet office.

Take a real deep breath. There are lots of wonderful, intelligent and amazing folks here to help.

For now read, read, read. Read the boards but importantly read the information links off the homepage.

8. Buzz's Mom

Buzz's Mom New Member

Thank you for the encourgement; it helps so much! Oh my Blue, that makes me feel so much better!! I adopted Buzz about 3 years ago from the pound so I don't know what he life was like before that time and he is just as aggressive as you have described Tilei to be. His vet had to use bird handler gloves to administer gas after he was sedated! The vet suggested the home testing because it was stress him too much to come in. Since he got an antibiotic for his UTI, he is already feeling better and has actually been overly loving toward me as to say 'thank you'. Luckily I have amazing parents that have offered financial help which has relieved so much stress. Tomorrow is the big day, Buzz will spend the day at the vet to start his insulin. I am ready to start everything and get him on his way to feeling better!! Again, thank you so much everyone and I look forward to reading more on this site and getting to share stories!

9. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Welcome! Don't feel overwhelmed, just read and ask whatever questions you have. Lots of people here with lots of experience treating and living with FD kitties =) It's tough at first, but you'll find a routine and pretty soon it'll be old hat.

Too bad the vet didn't let you try a diet change before starting the meds. Some kitties can do fine with only a change in diet, and in your case with the UTI causing inflated numbers, I would think the chances would be strong that diet would do the trick. I'm new and don't know much yet, but I'd certainly want to try HP/LC canned first if possible.

My cats wouldn't eat wet food at first so we had to start insulin right away, but I think if Tugger would have made the change we might not have needed the insulin. No way to know now of course, but the way he's been going since we were able to make the change has me pretty convinced. (Tugger was diagnosed at 566 and rode high numbers for months while I was feeding dry food and making loads of mistakes and I kept giving him more and more insulin. Now, he's on a very tiny amount... I think we're down to drops as of tonight's upcoming dose!)

This is not always the case, some kitties just don't respond to diet change and they need insulin twice a day for life, but it happens often enough that I'd want to try it first.

Whatever happens, you've definitely found the place to get the help and support you'll need =)

10. MsKarilynn

MsKarilynn New Member

Hi and welcome!

I just wanted to write quick to let you know you are NOT alone in this at all. My cat Brody was diagnosed a little over a week ago and it has been very emotional and stressful. My favorite uncle who was my godfather passed away from diabetes not even a year ago, so I understand how scary the word is. Good thing about diabetes in cats is that it isn't quite as detrimental as it is in humans. (According to my vet and some online research I have done)

I am the BIGGEST wimp when it comes to needles and I am making it work somehow. I promise you, it's terrifying at first, I am still stressed out over it, but it is getting better and I am already getting the hang of it. I did my first successful at home glucose test yesterday and a week ago I was thinking there was NO WAY I could ever do it. Just stay here on the forums, everyone is so nice, ask all the questions you can, read as much as you can, and try to stay as calm as possible. It will take a while to soak it all in and get into a routine with things.

I am right where you are and we aren't the only two :) we are doing a great thing for our cats and we love them so much! Don't feel guilty over how long your diagnosis took. It took me a while too and like you, it hit me one night. We aren't vets and we are doing the best we can. You know now and you are dealing with it. That is more than most people ever do for their pets. Do you know how many people have told me to just put him down? If you are feeling sad and overwhelmed by this, I am honestly happy to hear that. It means you care and you have a big heart. It means you are going to be able to deal with this and handle it. Trust me!

11. alexanne

alexanne Member

Hello - this is Peachy and Vegas Mum in Canada: I am a senior with two cats - only Peachy is diabetic. I am fairly new - about two months since Peachy's diagnoses. This site is invaluable. I have gained so much information from it so I advise you keep reading - these people know what they are talking about from "close encounter."

I have come thus far - Peachy is getting 2U of Caninsulin in the morning - in fact the vet has said to make it just a smidgeon under the 2 and 1U at night (but most important, never exceed the recommended dosage). I have obtained a One Touch monitor and have started home testing. I did look at the notice about the recall on one touch papers and found that it did not refer to my batch in Canada. It pays to keep reading every day for developments.

I had discussed using Lantus which a great many people on this site use - On discussion with my vet I decided that the results with Peachy (14 years old) were very satisfactory at this time - so "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I did my first ear prick (very traumatic to me - but nothing to Peachy - she didn't even flinch) yesterday in front of the vet and took her reading which was 10.5 - which I was told is good. The vet had previously done this the day before himself and this reading was 7.5. This I am told is also OK.

Diabetes is easy to manage and once you have the vet's recommendation as to what to use, the needles (and at this time don't worry about home testing till you get the insulin going - one step at a time.

There are marvelous videos on-line showing giving the shot, doing the testing and also one on reading the results - what they mean. This was a biggy for me - I had a chart from Odiesmom and at first I couldn't make head or tale of it - what was BG (Blood Glucose of course - and Odiesmom had also abbreviations for food which at first I didn't realize what that was). With diabetes it is important to have daily records in detail - e.g. times of feeding - times of giving med - urination, bowel movement and of course readings and amounts given - I have this for both my cats - although Vegas is a different kettle of fish).

Fortunately for me Peachy is very well controlled and at the lower end of diabetes scale. I give her Purina DM dry food - she won't take tinned food. She does like sardines though. I give her ecaps for her skin - fish oil type f capsule that I put in her food and use tonic lax every other day - old ladies need that. In cat years she is 72. I am 75.

I truly sympathize with you on the cost factor. I know like you that I felt a bit guilty in thinking about the cost when related to our precious companions, however, it has to be considered. I would suggest that you look at my post on the 11th April - I was writing related to just that facet of paying for the treatment. I have put in some of the things related to my costs with Peachy and Vegas which you may find of use. My first and main point was to ensure that the vet wasn't making unnecessary charges. I'll give you this one example - the vet before this one whom I will call vet number 1 and who diagnosed the diabetes - with testing both Peachy and Vegas (Vegas for other matters - see the general health board) costs amounted to over $2,000. On a fixed income I was horrified. He was supply Caninsulin in 2.5 ml bottles at a cost of $28. Very luckily for me a new vet moved in right across the road - sheer luck. I am now with vet No.2. I showed him the costs from vet No.1 and he was a bit shocked himself. He has contacted vet No.1 and has all the records on both cats now. He has supplied me with Caninsulin in 10 ml size for $75 - 10ml from vet No.1 would have cost $112 - $37 more than vet No.2. I point out this to show that you should shop around for vets and don't feel embarrassed that you ask about fees. I was very frank with both No.1 and No.2 that I was on a very small budget - some people don't like to admit that.
    Anyway - start from the basics, get your insulin and advise from the vet and follow that closely till you read more and understand more about testing - if your insulin works well, don't change it. And check out vets in your area first of all telling them that you want the best for your pet, but you are not Rockefeller and are on limited budget.

Good luck I hope this helps you added to all the other advise. But sometimes too much advise is confusing. That is why I say go slowly with the advise from the professional and learn from there.

Here's a picture of Peachy and Vegas - both are 14 years old.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Alexan/P_V2_2005.jpg

12. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi again Buzz's mom.

Do you know what type of insulin your vet is planning on using? Lantus (glargine) has been showing to have one of the highest remission rates, so it's a great one to start with. I know you are overwhelmed right now, but I hope you've been able to do some research and reading around here. Diet (high protein, low carb, prescription diets not necessary) and hometesting are so, so important. Again, please ask questions when you feel comfortable and please keep in mind that I'll be happy to teach you to hometest. Walmart's Relion Micro is a great meter (and so easy to buy strips when you run out).

13. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Buzz and his mom! Really, it'll be ok especially now that you've found FDMB. We've all been where you are now and understand. Just ask for info and support when you need it. There are no dumb questions. Someone will have the experience to share, others will point you to a resource.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.