New Diabetic Mommy of Rocky

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon Candido, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon Candido

Sharon Candido New Member

Just started monitoring my cats glucose numbers (monitor arrived two days after shots were started) and I was thrilled my Rocky's blood glucose number was 115 last night. From what I read I shouldn't give the shot and I didn't. This morning his number is 241. He doesn't want to eat much because I have eliminated dry food. He took a couple small tastes only because I put a couple pieces of a grain free dry kibble on it to entice him. He is on Lantus 1.5 units. I haven't given him his shot. Not sure what to do. This is my first time on this site. Thank you for any help you can provide.

beggargirl likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

beggargirl and Sharon Candido like this.
  3. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

C
    Congratulations on your successful home test! That's terrific! You did the right thing not shooting last night. I second the suggestion to post on the Lantus forum so you can get advice from more experienced people. Do try to get Rocky to eat, even if he needs to have a little dry food to get him to eat the wet. I get the feeling you've been studying up, so you know that a change of diet, like removing dry food, can affect Rocky's blood glucose dramatically, which is why it's doubly terrific that you are home monitoring. Rocky is lucky to have you!

Sharon Candido likes this.
  4. Sharon Candido

Thank you Idjit's mom, Linda & Elvis, such kind words. I just got him to eat his wet. He was crying to eat (dry food) so I put a little wet on his mouth and that was enough for him to start eating. The vet told me his dose should be 1.5 units but since 241 was much better than his start number at the vet of 400 I didn't feel right giving him the full dose this time and reduced it to
    1 unit. I hope that was the right call. I have done much reading and sites like this have been very helpful. Thank you both so much for responding so quickly...I needed that. :)

beggargirl likes this.
  5. Robbie & Oreo

Robbie & Oreo Member

I'm a newbie too but I think giving one unit was a good call. There are some stickies on the lantus page that have great information about protocols you can follow. Some very experienced and supportive people are there to help you, too. That information has been a lifesaver for me.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Sharon, please post in the Lantus forum about the insulin dose, especially since you are making dose reductions based on the preshot number. I have read that dose reductions are based on the nadir, that's the lowest BG between the two insulin injections. I'm glad that the AMPS (morning preshot) number was less than his starting BG at the vet, but I would not make a dose reduction on that basis. I am going to tag some of the more experienced members to take a look and advise. I just want the best for you and Rocky. @Kris & Teasel @Chris & China

7. Sharon Candido

Thank you. Yes, I will get on the Lantus page and thanks for the reassurance. :)

8. Sharon Candido

Thanks so so much!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.