new diabetic rescue...BG testing issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TequilaGA & Gracie Boy, Mar 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TequilaGA & Gracie Boy

TequilaGA & Gracie Boy New Member

Some of you may remember sugar kitty Tequila GA. Just adopted Grady 9yr old rescued from home, former owner now in nursing home. Underweight, drinking lots, blood work showed BG of 527. Started him on 1 unit Lantus Friday and already eating better and not at the water bowl so much. However he is new to this home and still unsettled and taking his BG is proving difficult. Tried rubbing his ear to encourage blood flow but usually after 4 pokes we give up so don't stress him moreso. Even vet tried 3 times and gave up. Never had issues with Tequila on BG testing. Getting me stressed and that not good for Grady and am worried to give Lantus without testing. Any ideas/support would be appreciated, just got me feeling scared yesterday...thanks, Jean

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome back
    You could try warming his ear a little with a rice sock, in the microwave for a bit so it is warm not too hot then hold it against his ear for a while to warm it up, some find that helps.
    Others test from the paw pad, I never have, but it is another option.

3. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Wrap him in a towel (kitty burrito) so you can get to a back foot. Heat a baby sock that has rice or oatmeal in the microwave for 30 seconds. Lay him on his back on your legs and warm the large paw pad on one back foot. When you wrap him in the towel he will become very still/compliant. Make sure that you have his front legs covered by the towel.

4. TequilaGA & Gracie Boy

TequilaGA & Gracie Boy New Member

Thanks so much for responding....finally last evening we managed to get a BG reading of 352, so encouraged numbers coming down on 1 unit Lantus every day. Phew, it was a stressful weekend not being able to test his BG. Tips on testing rear paw pad great. Again thanks, Jean & Grady

Critter Mom and Gill & George like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.