New Diabetic Rescue, Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noelle Muffin, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

This is my second rescue from a kill shelter and I need a refresher on dosing to get Muffin in remission. At the moment she's also dealing with an URI that I'm trying to get cleared up.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Noelle, welcome to you and Muffin. Bless you for rescuing a sweet kitty! I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here, just come over to the Health forum and give us a little more info on Muffin, such as what you're feeding, what insulin you're using, how long and what antibiotics she's on and if there are any other health concerns.

3. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

I just posted another thread. She's currently on Keflex and Lasix for her URI. Her BG numbers have been relatively low under 200 excepted for a few days over 200. This morning she wouldn't eat but, I tested her just to see where she was at 119 BG since 10:30 last night she read 216 and at 10:30am she was 198. She been given 0.25u since day one due to her numbers. Was going to increase her insulin today to .5u but, without eating and reading so low I was afraid thinking she'd have a hypoglycemic episode.

4. Sharon14

5. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

For her size she's not a big eater. Yes, she's been eating since 11:30. I find she grazes during the course of the day. One can of FF classics. Her nose is still congested so thinking that's not helping her appetite much. I tested her at that time 119 BG and again at 3:00 just out of curiosity and she was 135 BG. I was unsure about giving her, her 0.25u because of the low number.

6. Sharon14

7. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

Ok! Thank you! If any confusing I'll be in touch!

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

I was able to download and get to the spread sheet but, I don't see an example on the proper info to put down.

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You probably will also see her BG drop as the infection clears.

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

Muffin hasn't been needing insulin since her numbers have been low enough, although not low enough and consistent for her to be in remission. My question is this, I have been using a Relion meter since we got our first diabetic rescue. A pharmacy where I work had a free meter when you purchase the 50 test strips that are compatible and meant for that machine. Was looking to try it considering 50 test strips are only $10.00 although it's not a major name brand meter. Any objections to try it?

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Noelle Muffin -

If you post the brand and model name of the meter members might be able to give you more input.

Mogs

13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Most of us use human meter. The Relion is Wal-Mart brand. A lot of us use their Confirm or micro model.

Usually stay away from meters with Tru other True in the name. People report they are unreliable.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

I have a Relion now that I've been using was just curious about the True Metrix

15. Noelle Muffin

Noelle Muffin New Member

image.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.