New Diagnosed Diabetic Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zoe Brady, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoe Brady

Zoe Brady New Member

Hi my cat Freddie has recently been diagnosed with diabetes which is being treated with insulin twice a day. We are currently injecting 4 units each time, but his blood count is still very high (goes to 16 at its lowest point). He is still losing weight and is always hungry. I was feeding him Royal Canin Obesity Mgt 80 gram a day, but have changed him to 40g a day and giving him a sheeba in gravy pouch which he is enjoying more but I don't know if this is too high in Carbohydrates? He was over weight at 8kg, but now he has dropped to 4.8kg and is still losing weight which concerns me. Any tips on what food he could have to increase his weight slightly, or at least stop him feeling so hungry but also low in carbs?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! There's a lot of help and support here for you. Please go repost on the main health forum where more people will see it. If you could give us (or repeat) the following info over there it would be very useful:
    • Freddie's age and date of diagnosis
    • what insulin you're using
    • if you test his blood glucose at home and, if so, what meter you use
    • what he eats
    • other health issue/meds he has
    • what your general location is - US, UK, EU and time zone.
    I'll respond in more detail over there. This is the welcome forum so we keep it brief here. :)

JeffJ likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! You would probably get more responses to your questions if you post them on the main health forum.

JeffJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I echo the advice to post on the main health subforum.

Many times, weight loss in a diabetic cat is due to non-regulated blood sugar. The main health forum is a good place to get answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.