New Diagnosis and Low Carb Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ClaraJoy, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaraJoy

ClaraJoy New Member

Hi all!

Freely admitting I'm still working my way through the forums so apologies if this has been asked previously. My Noddy (about 12 - but I have only owned him for 5 years) was diagnosed a few hours ago and I have already realised his expensive diet that I thought was doing good is high carb.

I will be cutting carbs out immediately and going low carb and will begin home testing him tomorrow (have a glucose/ketone tester already at home).

This brings me to my question - I have a Vet appointment in on Monday (it's Friday night here at the moment) to get a glucose curve done and begin insulin. This was made prior to me beginning my research. I am considering delaying this appointment a week to allow the diet change first - otherwise I think it will be more difficult to achieve once on insulin (if needed at all after the diet change).

Many thanks for anyone reading this and for all the great advice I have read on here already,

ClaraJoy

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and good for you to be doing all the research right away. The more you know, the less scary and stressful it will be when starting treatment. And kudos to you for starting home testing!! [​IMG]

As long as Mr Noddy has not had an episode of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) waiting while you do the food transition is a good idea. Many people will find a big drop in glucose levels when changing from a high carb food to a wet low carb food, so it would be good to do the change before starting insulin. Usually diet changes will take from 3-7 days to show the full effect. If the numbers are very high though it may be better to start with a low dose of insulin, so as not to keep your kitty in high numbers too long. You would just need to test more often as you do the diet change to make sure the numbers don't fall too quickly.

You can post any health questions or concerns over at the Health Forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

There are usually more "eyes" on that forum and you will get more responses to your questions. :)

3. ClaraJoy

ClaraJoy New Member

Hi and thanks so much for your reply. He hasn't had any incidences of DKA thank goodness. I didn't ask the vet for numbers over the phone but will check tomorrow when I can begin testing.
    Will keep checking out the info here and post on the other forums if/when I have any more questions :)

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hi, you can begin testing anytime. The sooner the better.

5. ClaraJoy

ClaraJoy New Member

Thanks - just don't have any strips at home as this was an unexpected diagnosis and it's midnight here with nothing open. Wish I could test now though ;)

6. Tuxedo Mom

No need to rush out for strips tonight ;) But certainly starting some tests at home before you start insulin and while you are changing foods will be a good indication on how well the food change is going to work. As well if Mr Noddy' s numbers come down with the food change then that will affect what dose of insulin he would be started on. Testing at home is more accurate than at the vets, since many kitties get stressed out with the car ride and vet visit and this can cause higher glucose readings than you would get at home.

ClaraJoy likes this.
  7. ClaraJoy

ClaraJoy New Member

Awesome - sounds like a plan! I have already taken away is bowl of kibble. I know he eats wet food so that won't be a problem.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Perfect!! Some kitties are VERY carb sensitive and even small amounts of kibble can send their glucose levels up, so if you are using a wet low carb food, then that is a great start for controlling numbers.

ClaraJoy likes this.
  9. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm sorry you need to come here, but it is a great place to get information and support. You can get help on the health forum almost any time of day or night. The more you learn, the better you can care for your sweet kitty. The people here have been through anything you have to face.

ClaraJoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.