? New diagnosis- canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julee, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julee

Julee Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have been reading through the many posting and it is comforting to know help is out here but also so overwhelming. I just found out my 15yr old cat has diabetes - was showing signs of excessive drinking and peeing. From reading many postings, I see that what he was eating, dry food mostly with treats of canned food, needs to change immediately.
    1) my cat was on Hills i/d for constantly throwing up. This food has been a life saver in helping him. I know that it is not a good choice not since so high in carbs, but what canned food can I use that will still keep him from throwing up?
    2) What canned foods are you feeding? In reading, I can't figure out what is best? Expensive food, cheaper discount food?

Thanks for everyones help.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Julee and welcome to the board. It is overwhelming and confusing at first, but it does get better as you learn and integrate the treatment into your life. Regarding the Hills i/d food for throwing up, was it ever determined why your cat was vomiting? Did the Hill's diet stop that from happening? What kind of food had the cat been on before the Hill's? Is it possible that the previous diet had ingredients that your cat just didn't or couldn't tolerate?
    There is a canned food chart that you can look at here on the board: FOODCHART but it does not break down by ingredients which may be of concern to you. It is broken down by protein, fat, carb, phosphorus, calories. The ideal diet is 10% carbs or less.
    Many of us feed Fancy Feast Classics and Friskies pates. There is the alternative of home prepared food and/or raw food. Please visit www.catinfo.org for information on a good feline diet.
    Please create a signature so that we know more about your cat. This information can be updated at any time as you go along:
    SIGNATURE
    Are you also treating with insulin at this point? And home testing to track insulin effect and keep your kitty safe? Let us know how we can help in these areas.

3. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

Hi and Welcome! When Gertrude was first diagnosed, I read on here that I needed to switch her to a wet food diet but I was nervous. When we got her, she had a horrible vomiting problem and then we finally found a dry food that works for her. I didn't want her to start puking again, but I knew I just had to try and switch her over. The first couple of times we fed her wet food, she did puke but I read that's common. Maybe your kitty was puking because of ingredients in the old food? I would try and switch them over, but if the puking continues, there's lots of people on here that could try and help you come up with a better solution. :)

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

Take a big breath this does get easier you just need some time and patience.

Ultimately the good food is the food your cat can and will eat, ideally this food is wet, high protein and less than 10% carbohydrates (carbs) or as close to this as humanly possible the list they mentioned in a previous post will help you tray and find one that suits you (http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf) you may have to try a few before finding the good one, specially with a cat that has had food problems before, in my case I give Babu a home made diet designed by Dr. Lisa ( because some other health issues) or sometimes Nature's valley instinct either chichen original recepy or turkey ultimate protein ( this are the only two available where I live )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.