New diagnosis for 14 yr old

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Weaver, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

Hi everyone

My name is Amanda and my 14 year old girl Mishu was diagnosed two days ago. She was as high as 13.4lb and has since dropped to 11lb, along with an out of control thirst is what caused me to bring her into the vet. I feel like I've spent every waking minute on the internet since. I haven't spoken with my vet about home testing yet, but I can't stand not knowing what her BG is before shooting her with insulin. She is on Prozinc 1u 2x day. I already skipped one dose last night because I didn't know when she had eaten last. I'm leaning towards relion meter for home. She has her first curve at vets office scheduled in a little over two weeks.

Today we will start diet change of friskies pate (she had been on both wet food and dry food at diff times of her life so I know she likes this brand) but she's used to free feeding. I can't bring myself to not leave her with some kind of food access after I dose her and go to work without knowing anything about her sugar levels. I'm gone for 10 hours a day, and in two weeks, classes start back and I will have to be away one evening a week too. Trying to find a balance that won't make her worse is stressing me out.

I am glad I found this resource and a community of similar experiences

Attached Files:

2. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. It's fine to leave out food, just pick it up at least two hours prior to the preshot tes. Let us know if you need help with learning how to test! It's the best way to keep your cat safe.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lots of us leave food out. :)

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Amanda and Mishu!
    Come on over to Main Health and post any questions you may have :bighug:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Amanda, welcome. The relion meter is fine to use. Most here use one or the other model. You can use an auto feeder for when your away and set it so she has something every 2, 3, 4 hours. It can be used with wet food. You can use a cold pack with it or put frozen food (foodsicles) in it.

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-5-Meal-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/dp/B000GEWHNS

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Amanda and Mishu! We can certainly help. :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.