New diagnosis - getting ready

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Candy M, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy M

Candy M New Member

RedFace1.JPG My cat Red was diagnosed a few weeks ago. We tried pills but he wasn't responding. MY vet told me I would have to try insulin injection.

Well, I was always deathly afraid of needles/shots since I was young. Even being in the military with all those tests & shots didn't help. But the moment I was told that the only other option would be to rehome Red, NOTHING was going to stop me from learning.

All last weekend I meditate & prayed on this. I went Monday for my practice & it went really smoothly.

I am definitely not rid of my sadness & fears of can I REALLY do this. But I already feel better reading the information and postings on this site. Thanks all for being there. I am sure I will be using this resource quite a bit.

I am awaiting my vet's letter with how to proceed. This week will be trying; this week will be exhausting; this week will be the start of a new, healthy life for Red.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    It is good that yo want to treat Red with insulin. It is not that hard at all. Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.

For detail on diabetes management please post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

Welcome to you and handsome Red. Keep us posted and ask questions by posting a new thread in the Health Forum as often as you need. The people here are great and experienced and the information you can get by reading here is simply priceless.
    Pepper and Sparkle

4. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Hi Candy and welcome!
    I admire your attitude and yes you really can do this.
    It's normal to be afraid. I was terrified at first.
    You will do fine. People here will help you to learn.
    Post any questions you have on the Feline Health forum and people will answer.

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Welcome, Candy and Red! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.