New Diagnosis.. Introductions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MeowsMom, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeowsMom

MeowsMom New Member

Hi All

I'm Meows Mom ( Leah), Meows is 14 1/2 and yesterday we were diagnosed with Diabetes. Our Glucose was 478 and there was a lot of glucose in his Urine - waiting on culture results to determine if there's a bladder infection.

Honestly I'm feeling overwhelmed. Meows 16yr old brother, Keifer, passed away in my arms just 8 months ago after 4 years of thyroid disease, pillx 2x a day and regular check ups.. towards the end, he was diagnosed with slight anemia, slight kidney disease and slight heart disease (cardio myopathy).. the Dr said it was slight, that if I went ahead and did the Iodine treatment (something I couldnt afford when he was first diagnosed), we might have a chance of reversing the heart disease.... so I did it.. I sent my 16 year old, very sensitive kitty away for a week for radiation treatment.. 12hrs after he returned home we ended up in the ER, and 48hrs and $7000 later he passed in my arms. All his systems were failing and they couldnt get him to stablize, he took his last breath of his own will in my arms.

That was 8 months ago. I'm still revovering emotionally and financially, and to be completely honest, there was a bit of a relief in that, for 8 months I didnt have to worry about medication schedules...
    I know Meows has been depressed and I knew something wasnt quite right (drinking and peeing excessively), but I tried to deny it, until he ended up with an ear infection this week and forced me to go to the Vet, where I told them of my other suspicions.

I'm still too sad, to go to our original vet, every room reminds me of Keifer's passing... so I picked a new Vet nearby, and it feels awkward and weird to be going somewhere where they don't know me or Meows... after 15 years at the other Vet, they do become very familiar and now I feel like we're strangers, I'm not sure what to do about it... this new vet seems okay, but we've only been there once so far for his diagnosis and spsd to go back today for my tutorial and his first shot of insulin.

I'm just rambling, but I do have some questions that I'll post in the appropriate threads on the forum. I'm glad I found this site.

Thanks for listening.
    ~Leah - Meows Mom

Tia's Mom likes this.
  2. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. That sound so hard! The thing about diabetes, it that is is very treatable, and you'll see big improvements in Meow's health and quality of life. There is lots of good advice and support here.

MeowsMom likes this.
  3. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

I haven't been here very long myself, but can sympathize - our male cat "Plum" had a sister who we had to euthanize in January after a brief, expensive stay at the specialty vet. $5000 of care and they never quite figured out what was wrong with her. She was the sweetest little cat, too - I still miss her. We thought Plum was grieving too; (and he may have been) but turns out diabetes was making him lethargic and drinking & peeing a lot. So far this board has been a godsend. We're up to speed on testing, feeding, and dosing, and Plum is doing much better (though he's got a ways to go.) So, welcome, and my condolences on the loss of Keifer. It does feel overwhelming at first but the folks here are so helpful.

MeowsMom likes this.
  4. MeowsMom

MeowsMom New Member

Thank you both for sharing and your welcomes!

5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome

MeowsMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.