New diagnosis Ron

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NatashaL, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

Hi everyone,

I am so grateful my friend told me about this amazing forum. My cat Ron was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes, his levels ( I don't know the right terminology yet) was 368, and I know he was very stressed out there. His symptoms are that he's dragging his back legs and peeing in large amounts though not frequently. Other than that he's eating very well and I guess he does seem a little more tired than he usually does. His eyes seemed a little glassy.

I went to the vet yesterday and I do not like him, he told me not to test at home, that Ron could bleed out if I hit a vein, and was generally very condescending. However they are inexpensive so I am hoping to get the bulk of my education and information from here and not have to pay as much as I would somewhere else. He put Ron on Pro zinc at 2 twice a day. From what I've read on here that seems high doesn't it? He seems more lethargic after getting that. Although he was able to jump up on the bed which is fairly high even with his legs being draggy.

The other information he told me was that he should get down to 120, that 120 is the high end of normal but from what my friend had told me and from what I'm reading on here that is also not true is that correct? I'm wondering what number I should be aiming for. I ordered the testing kit from Amazon and will be getting it tomorrow so I can start then.

We have three other cats that are used to free feeding so I realize I'm going to have to switch that. I'm hoping it's okay to do it three times a day but only shoot him twice? One of my cats especially only likes dry food so this is going to be a hard transition but if they're doing Fancy Feast Classics I think they may actually prefer it. Does anybody know if the high protein food is okay for cats who have had a history with struvite crystals? I did some research on it and it seems like those diets are compatible but I'm just wondering if anyone here knows that for sure. One of our other cats has had crystals not Ron.

Okay I think that's it! I'm so stressed out but very grateful to have this community, thank you!
    Natasha

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Natasha and Ron, I am also very glad you were referred to FDMB so that you can get the information and support you need while learning how best to care for Ron.

As for testing at home, it's the best way to keep Ron safe because you test before every injection, to make sure that the BG (blood sugar level) is high enough for the dose. Then you test during the 12 hour cycle between shots to see how low the insulin is taking the BG. Dosage is based on the nadir, or the lowest BG of the cycle, not on the pre-shot test reading.
    If you accidentally hit a vein you are going to get a lot more blood than you need for a sample, and many, if not most of us have done that. But, Ron is not going to bleed out, it's not a major artery, it's just rather messy and is more uncomfortable for Ron.
    We have a section in the FAQs forum with videos, tips and a picture of the "sweet spot" on the ear for testing that we all aim for. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

While you are waiting for the testing equipment to arrive, try getting Ron used to the process. Choose a testing station, somewhere both of you will be comfortable with good lighting.
    Some of us get down on the floor, some of us use a table, counter, or the top of the laundry dryer. I use my husband, he holds Idjit and I do the testing. (I knew the old guy would come in handy someday! :))
    Give Ron a low carb treat (freeze dried meat or pieces of poached or baked unseasoned chicken) fondle, stroke and rub his ears and talk to him. Make a little rice sock or use a pill bottle with warm water in it to warm his ears, it helps get the blood to the surface, and then give another treat. Repeat that as often as you can during the day.

There is really good information for beginners in the Getting Started and Education sections on the Home page. There is a Prozinc insulin specific forum that you can visit and read about the insulin, how to use it effectively, and post there for advice when you are testing and recording that data so the experienced members can review it.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Natasha, I won't fib to you, there is a lot to learn at first, and it does feel strange and overwhelming. But, it is going to be routine for you in time. You have access to the information you want and a very supportive, kitty loving community here to help you on the way.

You are going to be able to work out how to transition all the cats in your household to a better low carb diet, but we all realize not everything is going to be accomplished in the blink of an eye. Be patient with yourself, ask questions. Look around the board and realize you are learning the very first steps of the sugar dance. Welcome to the club! :cat:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. If you haven’t found it yet the following website is a good one for Feline nutrition https://catinfo.org/
    There is a page on urinary conditions too. Turns out low carb wet food with water added is good for urinary issues too. Lower phosphorus can also help. I had a second kitty with crystals, diagnosed one week after Neko got her diabetes diagnosis :rolleyes:. Anyway, low carb raw was the answer for both, though low carb wet also works.

4. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

Thanks so much for this info! I have another question, but I may make it a new thread. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.