New diagnosis, second time round with feline diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HijynxStevie, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HijynxStevie

HijynxStevie New Member

Hello!

I was a member back here around 2005-2007 with my cat Pele, who had diabetes and kidney disease. (I don't have access to my old account, I had a different email then so this is a new account.)

This week we got news that our cat Stevie is diabetic so time to jump back on the wagon! He's 12.5 years old, haven't started anything yet as we only got the call back about the tests yesterday, but picked up insulin and going back into the vet to discuss our action plan. I was so appreciative that my vet back in 2005 pointed me here and for the members who helped me, even coming in person to show me how to test blood sugar. No questions yet but I'm sure I will have them. I am anxious that Stevie isn't as compliant for medicine as Pele was, we were giving pills for a while for another issue and it became a huge struggle - we stopped as they weren't showing enough of a benefit to continue. I think the insulin won't be a huge problem but testing blood may be....

Thanks for being such a great support and education network, and sticking around for all these years! I wish I didn't have to be back here but glad I am, if that makes sense.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome back. Sorry you had to return, but glad FDMB is still around to help!

HijynxStevie likes this.
  3. HijynxStevie

HijynxStevie New Member

Thanks Sharon!

So-
    My husband picked up the script while I was at work today - this isn’t what I had before... will try to talk to vet tomorrow for full planning! Lantus in a pen

Attached Files:

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

I am sure there is a lot of new info since you were here last, at least you have some experience and help is here if you need it.

The Lantus is a good insulin for cats. We don’t use the needles with the pens, too hard to get precise dosing for cats. We use a syringe and draw the insulin out from the pen cartridge. Unlike a vial though, you do not want to inject air into the pen cartridge, it works on a different vacuum principle, so adding air is not needed and will only serve to degrade the product in cartridge.

Lantus uses the u100 3/10 cc/ml syringes. 30 or 31gauge needles are the thinner ones.

These are good if you are in the states.

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1291/monoject-ultra-comfort-u100-syringes-30g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct-1-2-unit

Check out the Lantus board also, info at top in yellow stickies.:)

Keep the Lantus refrigerated. It says 28 days (that is for humans who keep it out), refrigerated it will last 6 months or sometimes longer.

HijynxStevie likes this.
  5. JaclynS

JaclynS New Member

Hi there,

I am right there with you when it comes to testing. My boy doesn't like being handled and I'm not sure I'll even be able to test him. I can do the shots as long as he's distracted. :)

HijynxStevie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.