New Dx arthritis & prednisolone (need help)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Plugbait, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

My non-diabetic cat that was recently diagnosed with arthritis in her back right leg has been, (by my vet whose judgment I question), prescribed prednisolone for a total of 2 tablets (pred-5 is what my vet wrote on the pouch, does that mean 5mg?) a day for a period of three weeks and then one tablet a day for one final week. Began giving Cosequin once a day at the beginning of the second week.

Just wondering if this treatment seems sound to everyone. I don't know much about arthritis treatments so does that sound like too much prednisolone? I understand it's a steroid? That's why I'm a little concerned.

Then how long do I need to keep giving Cosequin before I am supposed to notice its effect (like visibly noticing cat playing more due to pain relief / less limping, etc.)?

I'm new to feline diabetes but I am even newer to feline arthritis as I have not had much time to study it because both cats diagnosis were at the same time and the diabetes seemed like it needed attention first but I seem to be on a schedule with insulin now I am wanting to learn a bit about the arthritis so I can make sure my vet is making the right decisions...

She was taken in to vet for a limp that had persisted for quite a few months (could not afford vet visit for a while due to unemployment etc.) and she was sedated and had an x-ray taken vet pointed out some abnormalities in the x-rays showing how her back left leg still looked fairly healthy but her back right leg showed signs of pretty severe arthritis (and I believe he may have mentioned a possible spur forming or something).

Just wanted to know what my options are here. She is approximately eight years old. She still gets around pretty well (she can get to her favorite spot on top of the fridge via the microwave) but I hate to see her limp all the time it makes me think she is in pain.

But anyway, how does that treatment sound? Since I am inexperienced I question my vet because he has made bad decisions in the past.

Thanks for listening.

-M

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, my cat Norton was on Pred to relieve inflammation from a brain tumor.

The dosing was based on weight - so he got 6 mg per day (14-15 lb).

We were watching his blood sugar - expecting to need to increase his dose because of the Pred -- his numbers did not change.

This may be because he was an acro-cat (his brain tumor caused his diabetes -- not a pancreas deficiency) but I haven't given it a whole lot of thought -- just filed it under "Every Cat Is Different" (ECID)

The thoughts here are..... if your kitty REALLY NEEDS the steroids for another condition -- just treat the steroid-induced diabetes with insulin rather than have your kitty suffer from the other, possibly painful, condition.

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

The steroid will treat the inflammation, which in turn will lessen any pain. There is an NSAID called Metacam, which although we caution against its use too because it has been shown to affect the kidneys, it is an alternative to the steroid. Which is riskier? The Metacam might be riskier as kidney failure is more life threatening than diabetes. One of my cats received Metacam for a leg injury and she was fine, but my vet knew to give very small doses for a short period of time. It did help her recover and she does not limp at 18 years old, injury was 4 years ago.

One of my other cats received prednisolone for mild asthma, and she was fine, but she received very small doses in liquid form. The vet told me it is a mild steroid and she downplayed the risks. We have seen cats treated for very short periods with a steroid develop diabetes and we have seen cats treated for years with a steroid called Depo Medrol finally develop diabetes (Gandalf is one such cat - he received Depo shots on average of 3 per year for 7 years), so there is no certainty that diabetes will result from short term steroid use.

If the inflammation is reduced, the Cosequin will probably be more affective. As my vet says, there's a risk with every drug used and it's a matter of weighing the possible risks with the probable outcomes of treatment. So yes, the treatment with steroids in this case seems reasonable.

As for Cosequin, my box says 4 to 6 weeks of daily use, then can be given every other day once desired response is achieved. So at least 4 weeks.

4. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Will a second set of x-rays be needed at the end of the prednisolone treatment?

-=][V][=-

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Pred will not change the bones, so no, I would not think a repeat X-ray would have any value.

Pred will reduce inflammation in the soft tissues that the "bone spur" is pushing and rubbing on.

Glucosamine may be helpful - there are dog treats called "Happy Hips" that some have found helpful - they may be high carb, and may need to be cut into smaller pieces. There are similar cat treats - I forget the name though.

6. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Isn't Cosequin a chondroitin and glucosamine supplement?

-M

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm no vet and certainly no expert, but the cats that I've had to use pred with it's always been dosed SID, once per day.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_prednisone.html
    "Prednisone and prednisolone are considered to be intermediate acting steroids, meaning that a dose lasts about a day or a day and a half. "

Currently Tucker takes one 5mg pill in the mornings. My Henry(GA) was severely athritic and also took one pill, same dose, each day. I found for Henry, using Dasequin and a self heating mat helped tremendously. Drs. Foster and Smith and PetEdge both sell the self warming mats, they radiate the cats own body heat, nothing to plug in and machine washable. PetEdge is cheaper, I needed to buy a few so I could wash one and always have a spare, Drs. F&S is better quality though.

We also added some steps and ramps for Henry so he could still get up onto the bed or couch and not have to stress his bones by jumping off. Being able to climb up onto furniture made him happier which in turn, kept his quality of life better. If your kitty is allowed on the beds or couches, I'd recommend adding something to help him climb to prevent the hard landings from jumping down the added stress from jumping up.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

adding to Jennifer's post, I would look into a petbed that has magnetic therapy; my vet has started using these after a client with an arthritic dog had great results. If you'd like more info I can get it for you.

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

I haven't used Cosequin --- yes, it probably does.

10. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

both cosequin and dasuquin contain glucosamine and chondroitin:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Product ... -cats.aspx
    125 mg FCHG49® glucosamine and 100 mg TRH122® chondroitin sulfate per capsule

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/product ... -cats.aspx
    Dasuquin for Cats contains the trademarked ingredients NMX1000®* avocado/soybean unsaponifiables (ASU), FCHG49®* glucosamine hydrochloride, and TRH122®* low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate. It's available in a tasty, easy to administer capsule with natural chicken and tuna flavors.

11. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You might also ask your vet about Adequan. It is an injectible version of glucosamine that seems to be more effective than the oral version. Angus was on it for about 6 months and it did make a difference in his ability to jump. His arthritis was in the hips.

12. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

13. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

I'm interested in the magnetic therapy pet bed. That sounds interesting. And I think I'm definitely going to get a few of those body heat pads.

Guess there's not much else I can do for the time being. Great ideas everyone, thanks!

-M

14. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

My vet had a client with a severely arthritic dog; the client started using a magnetic dog bed and noticed a huge difference. My vet now uses magnetic products for herself (reduces sore knees during surgery) and for some of her clients. She has become a Nikken distributor to gain access to the products.

15. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

16. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Yes. There are many brands so shop around for the best price. BTW, they make crinkly sounds when the cat steps on them. Some cats like that and some, like my Angus, refuse to step on them. So, try one first before you invest in more.

17. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

That's the correct link for the PetEdge one. Drs. Foster and Smith is here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8982

The Drs. is a better quality, less crinkly than the PetEdge, but you could also put a baby blanket over the pad, I don't think it crinkles then. I buy lots of baby blankets when they are on clearance at Walmart or Target, they are much cheaper than pet blankets.

Most of my cats sleep on these all the time, even the younger ones. Tucker doesn't care for them, maybe it's the crinkle sound, I never really thought about it.

I have never tried magnetic therapy but have heard really great things about it in humans and pets. I believe it helps get the blood flowing and promote healing and comfort that way.

18. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on the bargain bins at the front of Target too. I've picked up many small fleece blankets there for $2.50 each. Since Abbey often pooped on her way to the vet, I didn't mind if any of these got ruined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.