New Dx Erratic BL

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathleen Tyrrell, May 16, 2019.

1. Kathleen Tyrrell

Kathleen Tyrrell Member

Sabu has shown alot of improvement in his overall health since beginning lantus bid, his weight has come back, he's playing, there is no more excessive water drinking or peeing. He is 100% wet food low carb diet, but his blood tests preshot are erratic and seem to be getting higher and higher especially at night. Has anyone gone through this that can let us know why? The vet doesnt want to do a curve yet but will within the next week or so. Thanks.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet is wrong, it is time to get some tests in the middle between the preshot tests. I rather suspect he is going lower mid cycle then bouncing, but the only way to know for sure is testing. You don’t have to tell the vet you are testing. At what point did you switch to 100% low carb food? That can make a huge difference in insulin requirements.

By the way, hello and welcome. Make sure you read the yellow starred sticky notes in the top of this forum. It will help you learn how Lantus works and how to change the doses without consulting your vet every time.

AmandaE and Kathleen Tyrrell like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Lantus is dosed based upon the nadir, lowest point in the cycle. You aren’t getting any mid cycle tests so there’s no way to know if your dose is right. Also you have been on the same dose too long and it very well could be too low. If you get more tests in you won’t need your vet to do a curve. I actually never did one. I wasn’t going to test at all and became a testaholic when I was at my vet)s office to check nadir and Max was at 60.

We are data driven here. Please read the stickies on TR and SLGS. That will explain a lot.

Kathleen Tyrrell likes this.