New DX, New Drugs, New Food...burnt out Mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tamena, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamena

tamena New Member

I was asked to come tell you guys more about Banzai, King Of Catholes...
    Banzai has just turned 8 - we guestimated his birthday as Aug 25, 09
    His official breed name is South Jersey Swamp Cat, he's a DSH tabby in
    the mundane world
    He found me when he was 5 weeks old, and he was a jerk within the first 5 minutes of
    finding me. He grew in to his Jerkness through the years and he's still a jerk, just a bigger jerk
    but he's MY jerk and I love him

I moved to NC in November. and he came with me, along with the dog and the crabs.
    It was a chaotic and stressful situation from the get go and only got worse..
    that's when I noticed he was losing weight. I didn't think much of it, his schedule had changed drastically
    and it was a stressful environment for him, I can understand it all. In April I took him to Banefield for his
    rabies booster (my cats are indoor only, they only get rabies as adults) and mentioned I wasn't happy about his weight loss.
    They told me I shouldn't worry about it, he looked great and some weight loss was expected in his situation....
    they told me the blood work was expensive, it wasn't really needed

I should have listened to my gut and payed for the damned blood work
    The end of May we came home to a cat who wouldn't eat?? Then he started vomiting all over the room, and before I scooped him up to head to the ER he passed bloody/mucousy urine
    When we arrived they did a CBC and found his sugar to be 485
    =(
    They sent him home on Prozac thinking it was all stress related. The prozac sure made him less angry and cranky but didn't help the sugar. I finally found a local vet that's not expecting us to send her kids to Harvard (read - that I can afford!!!) and got him started on Lantus last week. - we're on the 1 unit BID stage, he goes in for another curve on the 11th.

We are testing at home, I have one of the animal glucometers here
    I've been through the food list and written down all the things he will eat and grouped them by nutritional value
    I have dehydrated chicken breast for him for snacks when he's being a total pain in the a** (he bites and is nasty when he's hungry!!! Again, a jerk, but MY jerk)
    He got a water fountain for his birthday and he loves it...
    and he is spoiled rotten and dearly loved.
    So that's Banzai's story - some day down the road I'll tell you how he got his name,.
    It fits him, trust me
    he was 19lbs of attitude until recently, now he's 14lbs and cranky still!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.