New dx of diabetes for Boots

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lilu, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilu

Lilu New Member

hi all! I ran across this page and was also recommended to join in since my 13 yr old cat boots was just dx with diabetes. Our vet wants to put him on hills science dry food and or wet but we haven't read good things about it... Plus all the stuff we've seen is better wet overall. Does anyone know how to do the curve testing and monitoring at home? (I know silly ?) also.. What wet foods have people found to be the best??

I also forgot to throw in the mix that he has gotten a uti, most likely due to the diabetes, and is currently on amox.

Thanks all!
    Lee Ann and Boots

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

The curve Our veterinarian has us test before he eats then every two hours After that, until he eats again , Then we usually check it once before we go to bed . We have dry food out for our cat all day just in case he wants to eat , but we normally feed him the syringe at six in the morning , then 5 , then before we go to bed ....That's just what our veterinarian has us do , I'm sure other cases are similar, but could be different. If you've never done it , as far as taking his blood from the ear , it's actually very easy , and there are some great videos on YouTube . As far as the food it really depends on what the cat wants to eat . Our veterinarian told us to start with anything that The cat would tolerate, and eventually we can try to change him to a different food. Our particular cat "trouble" is a kibble addict. He will not eat any wet food, we have bought every single brand on the market , and right now we are syringe feeding him a very bland one that the vet gave to us, and he's starting to like it.
    I'm new to this form as well, our cat was just diagnosed with pancreatitis, which caused the diabetes . I know very little about diabetic cats , except for what we're dealing with , but I wanted to get you some info to start with , there are many experts on the site that will hopefully help you further. Good luck. thoughts and prayers to you and your kitty.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome LeeAnn and Boots!

We have a very successful protocol for dealing with feline diabetes. We feed wet low carb food (see this website by a vet: www.catinfo.org). Many of us feed Fancy Feast and Friskies pates. We test at home (this thread has lots of info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/and we like mild long lasting insulins like Lantus, Levemir and ProZinc.

Curves are usually done every 2/3 hours during a cycle. Before testing and giving a shot, you want to withhold food for 2 hours so the test is not food influenced. With some of the faster onset insulins, you need to feed before the shot.

For specific questions, post on the Health forum

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.