New here. Diabetic since May 2015 Need Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Damsel, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would be more confident about your raising the dose, if you got some numbers earlier in the cycle. It is possible if she drops low early. The black looks more like a bounce than a high because of not enough insulin. The other reason for these higher levels could be an infection or stress - are her teeth okay? No chance of a UTI?

2. Damsel

Damsel Member

At the last Vet visit the Vet did a quick check of his teeth but didn't see anything. He doesn't seem stressed. He also is sleeping under the bed all morning and sometimes through the afternoon. That is his place to sleep during the day so that's not unusual except he usually comes out when I eat lunch and hasn't been doing that everyday. But when he's out, he acts perfectly normal.
    What would I look for to be suspicious of a UTI? It seems like there are more larger clumps lately in the litter box.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A cat brewing a UTI will generally make frequent trips to the litterbox and might deposit only dribbles, there may be more licking of the back end going on, they might urinate in unusual/improper locations, they might yowl in the litter box, etc.

4. Damsel

Damsel Member

Haven't observed any of that going on. He is very productive when he goes in the litter box. Nothing outside the box; no noises, nothing.

I just looked for him to try to do a +3 test; he is holed up under the bed.
    Tomorrow morning, I'll close the doors and try to do some AM tests. I'm working from home, so not sure how well it will work, but it's my plan to test hopefully at +2 and +4.

Thank you!

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  5. Damsel

Damsel Member

Did a curve today; all high numbers. The spreadsheet is updated. He is at 2.75 units. The increase from 2.5 to 2.75 hasn't made a difference. What do you suggest?

6. Kris & Teasel

Hard to say what's going on. High and flat can be from too low a dose or from bouncing. You're getting reds at a dose range that gave you blues and greens in the past. Sue asked you yesterday whether an infection was possible. I really don't know what to say other than maybe try a reduction to 1.5 u for 3 cycles to see what happens. Don't stay there if his BG shoots up. This might give some indication of whether it's an overdose or not. Increasing isn't working so why not try the opposite?

7. Damsel

Damsel Member

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Bummer; I hoped it might help things. :(

Mogs

9. Damsel

Damsel Member

Tried 1.5 for 3 cycles - no change in the numbers. The 250 was a mis reading, I think. I used both sides of the strip trying to get a sample. Same thing happened this morning and I got a reading of 105. I changed strips; tested again immediately and it was 428.
    So, guess I'll go back up with the dose. I really think Morgan's system needs a fresh bottle every 30 days; it's worth a try if my Vet will appease this crazy cat mom.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, I would go back up. Now you know that more is better. It is possible that the first bottle was off for some reason. It'd be interesting to see if a new bottle makes a difference.

11. Damsel

Damsel Member

Unfortunately, for some reason, I didn't get your response on my e-mail. Just saw your response now. This morning, I was ready to increase back to 2.5 and his AMPS was 385. That's still too high, but he hasn't been in the 300's for his preshot since Dec. 4th, so I kept him at 1.5. Should I post his number tonight before giving his shot?
    Have I thanked you lately for your help? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Maybe see what this cycle looks like? And be sure to get those ketone tests in,

13. Damsel

Damsel Member

He was 417 for his PMPS. See what tomorrow brings. If he stays high, I'm thinking I should go up a unit if for no other reason than the fact that my vet is probably going to want him on a higher dose before he authorizes a new bottle. I'd like a fresh bottle for Christmas.

14. Damsel

Damsel Member

I haven't had time to update the spreadsheet; suffice it to say, Morgan was staying in the 400's. I was finally able to get a new bottle of ProZinc just to see if the new bottle really is more potent.
    Dec. 22's pmps was 388. After that test, I dropped to 2 units using the new bottle of ProZinc.
    12/23; amps was 353
    12/23 pmps - 301
    12/24 amps - 116?
    I realize it's Chrismas and this isn't an emergency, but there is definately something about the potency of a new bottle happening here.
    I read one of Sue's previous posts to me saying to wait 20 minutes to see if the number is going up. My Vet doesn't want me to skip doses,
    but 116 is too low to shoot. I'm going to check again and then if he raises, I'll give 1 unit.

15. Kris & Teasel

That's a plan. I try to avoid no shots now that I have lots of data. My rule of thumb is to give 30 to 50% of the dose if I have a low PS. I still use the stall technique first.

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You always want to stall to make csure the number is rising...you never want to shoot into a falling number.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. Damsel

Damsel Member

Thank you! I wasn't expecting a response today, so I really appreciate it. It was 1 hr later that I checked - it was BG=145, so it was rising.
    I may have given him a a partial or full fur shot though; not sure. The needle definately went in but there was a little insulin on his fur. Can't believe I did that.
    I went to 1 unit. I'm having my family over for dinner tonight and was going to shoot him an hour early because once people are here; he is under the bed. I suspect his number will be good for his pmps; if for some crazy reason it's low; I'll can't check again until probably 4 hours later.
    Thanks again for your help!

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Fur shots happen! We've all been there. Maybe it'll work in your favor since you need to shoot early tonight!

I believe Kris and I are both around all weekend if you need something. I'll check in regularly...our kitties don't recognize holidays!

19. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I'm around almost all the time. Will check in before I go anywhere and when I come back. Outings are minimal and only a few hours in length. Main one is Christmas dinner tomorrow from mid/late afternoon on to mid evening approximately.

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I have no plans...no family nearby so I stay home with the boyfriend and cats. We don't even do a special dinner or anything...so I'll be sure to check in throughout the day tomorrow! My only outing today is to get some more cat food...since my darn Amazon order won't be here before I run out :banghead:

21. Damsel

Damsel Member

Thank you. I read your comments yesterday; much appreciated. Yesterday was my big event; the day was crazy. My company arrived earlier than expected (or invited, but I'll forgive my brother) but Morgan immediately retreated under the bed. So, between hearing other voices and the fact that I had to vacuum him out from under the bed; I'm sure his numbers were elevated. He was at 210. I dropped from 2 units to 1 unit - I know he didn't eat while company was here, but he ate a lot 4 hours later.
    Updated the spreadsheet.
    This morning, he bounced to 362. I didn't want to go back to 2 units; was not sure about 1 unit, so I gave 1.5 units. Not sure I did the right thing.
    By the way; Happy Holidays!

22. Kris & Teasel

All we can do is make a decision. :) The 1.5 u seems OK. If you can get some midcycle tests that would be helpful.

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think that was fine. There's no way anyone can know for sure what will happen, so like Kris said...gotta make a decision! :)

24. Damsel

Damsel Member

I updated the spread sheet. I need to leave for dinner so I was going to do Morgan 1/2 hour early. He is at 162. I misjudged this morning and increased by .5 because I got a 404 with the amps. I have to leave in about 10 minutes which takes me to our regular shot time. Not sure what to do. If I have to leave before I can read a response, I will check him when I return which will be in about 1.5 - 2 hours.

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I hope you just skipped. 162 late in the cycle suggests he got too much insulin. Would shooting at +14 when you get home mess up the schedule?

26. Damsel

Damsel Member

Yes I skipped. I was able to check before I left which was 20 minutes after his pmps and he went down to 155. Just got home and am now getting ready to test him. Wanted to check here first.

27. Damsel

Damsel Member

He is now 193; should I give maybe 3/4 unit to avoid skipping dose?

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That should work. One unit was okay on 12/26. Tomorrow you should be able to shoot at +10 or later as long as he is high enough and rising. I would reduce from the 2.5 tomorrow.

29. Damsel

Damsel Member

OK. Thank you!

30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nice numbers!

31. Damsel

Damsel Member

Thank you Rachel; those numbers are compliments of a fresh new bottle!
    First AMPS was 194. I checked 25 minutes later to make sure he was rising and it was 209. I gave him 1 unit.

32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds good! Those fresh new bottles are sometimes gifts!

33. Damsel

Damsel Member

Just tested him at +6: 360. In anticipation of a high number tonight, I'm not sure how to dose. Is the 360 a result of two low doses, or a bounce?
    Not sure if he is 360 or over tonight, if I should stick with 1 unit or go back to 2 units or somewhere in between?

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Two units looked like it was working well, maybe 1.5 is a better choice until you see what he is doing. Might take a while to get him back on track. Just plan to monitor for a couple cycles till you see what's what.

35. Damsel

Damsel Member

Ok. I'll do 1.5. Thank you!

36. Damsel

Damsel Member

Updated the spreadsheet. He was 362 this morning; 60 @ +8 and now 59 at PMPS. I'll check him again

37. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd check in 20 minutes or so, just in case he decides to drop lower. Definitely time for a dose reduction!

38. Damsel

Damsel Member

Now he is at 82. He ate a lot for dinner which probably helped.
    Regarding dose reduction; 1.5 didn't seem to be enough. 1.75? I'll check again. Hate to skip a dose, but I'll only be up for about another
    hour and a half.
    Thank you.

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

1.75 sounds reasonable to me. I think I'd skip tonight.

40. Damsel

Damsel Member

Since Morgan ended at 95 at almost 11:00 pm (PM+4) I did skip his shot evening shot on Jan 1.
    I updated his SS; Jan 2nd AMPS 264 - gave 1.5 units; +6 311; PMPS was 532.
    Today's AMPS was 525 and his PMPS is 507.
    Not very happy with the 500's and confused about dosing. I definately expected a bounce, but not three preshot readings in a row in the 500's!
    2 units made him too low. 1.5 + two 1.75 doses are not bringing him down.
    Do you think I should continue to hold at 1.75 units; or maybe if still high tomorrow morning, give him 2 units and then in PM give 1.75?
    I know I'm not an expert here, but his system seems to have no rhyme or reason. Sometimes 2 units is not enough; sometimes 2 units is way too much!?

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I wonder if he is dropping low enough to bounce into those blacks? Can you get a nadir tonight?

42. Damsel

Damsel Member

The best I can do is around +4. I'll post it before I turn in. Thank you.

43. Damsel

Damsel Member

+4 is 413

44. Kris & Teasel

I think he's still bouncing from those low greens of a few days ago. If so, you don't want to make a dose decision on a (too high) bounce number. It might be worth trying 1.5 u again and holding it for 3-4 cycles.

45. Damsel

Damsel Member

This morning's AMPS was 237!! I kept the 1.75 units (which was before your post, Kris) The 500's are scary numbers, but I resisted the urge to go higher, remembering Sue's words "I'm gathering data" and was very relieved to see 237 this morning.
    I will try to do a couple of tests today since he has come down so much.
    Thank you!

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looks like Kris was spot on and he was having a longer bounce. Glad he came down!

47. Damsel

Damsel Member

At +4 he tested at 35!!! What in the world is going on?
    He just ate a bunch of food; dry (Young Again zero carb) + I gave him some Friskies pate which he ate and a few treats (freeze dried) but I found some old EVO treats so I gave him about 4 of those thinking they definately have carbs.
    Will test again in a few minutes.
    He is acting perfectly normal

48. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Wow! You got a second test?(just to be sure the first one was accurate)

If 35 is correct, I would put some honey on his gums and retest in 15 minutes.

49. Damsel

Damsel Member

20 minutes later he's at 52!

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Ok. Then disregard the honey idea. Glad he is coming up. I would wait on any more higher carb and retest in 15 minutes.

51. Damsel

Damsel Member

76. Can't wait to see this evening's preshot number. Apparently 1.75 units is too high, for now. What will be the right dose be? 1.5? Lower?

52. Kris & Teasel

Try 1.5 u or if you're feeling very unsure, 1.25 u. Those lows today will leave him sensitive.

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I assume you will see a bounce, but yes, I'd go with a little less insulin. Looks like "maybe" he needs 3+ cycles to get over low numbers...

Good news but hard to know what to give.

54. Damsel

Damsel Member

PMPS is 89! Didn't go up much since the 76 at +5!!

55. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looks like you'll need to skip. What an unusual day!

56. Kris & Teasel

Looks like a no shot tonight.

57. Damsel

Damsel Member

Ok. Yes, very unusual!

Thanks so much for being there and all your help!!!

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! What an interesting day. Remember, he might be higher in the morning, but that's okay. I'd still reduce the dose.

59. Damsel

Damsel Member

I don't have enough brain cells left today to think clearly, but I'm half thinking, if it's a shootable number tomorrow,
    I'll go with either 1 or 1.25 units even if he is 500 in the morning! I'm still in shock of what 1.75 did!!!???
    Thanks again for the care and concern!!!!!

Rachel likes this.
  60. Damsel

Damsel Member

Just posting as an FYI in light of yesterday's crazy experience. His AMPS this morning was 523. I gave him 1.25 units. Just tested at +4 = 362. Nice, positive, gentle decrease from a high bounce. Ahhhh I will wallow in this moment......
    Getting ready to update my excel spreadsheet to send to my Vet. When he gave me the new bottle on Dec. 22nd, he asked me to send my spreadsheet after two weeks; noting that he was not expecting any difference from a new bottle. :rolleyes:

61. Damsel

Damsel Member

PMPS is 102 His AMPS was 393 after a day in the 400's. 20 minutes later, he is at 119. Is it possible 1.25 units is too much with this bottle? I hate to skip another shot as it might be assisting with the bounces. Should I give him 1/4 unit just to not skip? Should I lower his dose again?

62. Kris & Teasel

I think you'll be stalling a long time to get this up to a shootable number. The safest thing to do is skip this evening shot. My opinion only - others might have a different take.

63. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, I think 1.25 could be too much. I would be nervous shooting under 150. I'd want to be sure he is rising, not still falling. What happens to tomorrow if you wait an hour or so? And even then if he is 150-180, I would shoot maybe 0.5? And plan to monitor at +2.

64. Damsel

Damsel Member

If 1.25 is too much; what do you think for tomorrow? .75? .50?

65. Kris & Teasel

Probably best to wait to see what the AMPS is and post here for advice then.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.