New Here. Just gave the cat the first dose of 1U Insulin.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chera, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chera

Chera New Member

Hello from Maryland!
    Our cat was diagnosed with diabetes. We came back from the vet today around 1PM. We gave him his first 1U insulin injection at 5:30PM after he eat a half can of food.
    I'm looking for an Excel Spreadsheet to track the dates/times of injections, the Urine/blood analysis, and anything else I need to track. We have urine strips, but I think I'd like to do the blood analysis at home.
    Complete noobie here. We just signed up here, and we'll be reading everything we can. I can make a spreadsheet, but if there already is one, I wouldn't mind seeing it ;)
    Thanks,
    Anthony

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Here is a link with instructions for setting up the spreadsheet we use: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/ And, here is info on understanding it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/ You may also want to go ahead and set up a signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Post any questions you have on the main health forum. You will get a lot of advice and support here.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Anthony and Chera. I hope I got that right and Chera is the kitty?

Please create a signature for kitty so that the information is available whenever you post.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Here is the spreadsheet information. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    Spreadsheet instructions
    Understanding the spreadsheet

I hope the vet explained the importance of a low carbohydrate wet diet for diabetic cats, as well as the critical importance of home testing the blood sugar. Using the urine strips only tells you blood glucose (BG) of whatever urine that has been collecting in the bladder over a period of time. If you test the cat's blood sugar, you have current information. Testing before injections ensures you know it's safe to "shoot", and testing during the 12 hour cycle tells you how the insulin is working for kitty.

We can go into more detail with information and suggestions about the insulin you are using, diet and home testing if you would post on the Main Health forum HERE going forward. More members monitor the Health forum so they can answer questions and be of assistance.

There is a whole lot of reading ahead of you, but you are in the right place for the information and support to help you help your kitty to better health and well being.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Sorry about the diagnosis, but sounds like you are diving right in with the whole testing thing which is AWESOME. I have a link in my signature showing how I test my cat cc at home. we all use the same template for tracking testing and add it to signatures so we can help each other out. :D (see post above for link)… you will see links to everyone's spreadsheets in their signatures. My cat has acro, so don't let the high dose scare you. hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.