New Here Need Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blakismom, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blakismom

blakismom Member

Hi everyone! Tonite is the very first time I gave my cat an insulin injection. My cat is newly diagnosed, and it is her first day back home after spending three days at the vets so he could do a glucose curve.
    She is going to be taking 3 units, twice a day, 12 hours apart. I was told to give her her injection when she is eating. The vet also told me to feed her only twice a day. So my question is this...what if she doesn't eat the whole can of food that I give her? Should I pick up what is left over or leave it down for her to come back to. What if she only eats a small amount? I don't know what I am supposed to do! It is a huge change for her to only be fed twice daily because she has always had food down and ate all throughout the day and night. Anyways...should I pick up the food and not feed her again til the next scheduled injection and feeding? Or should I leave it there for her to come back to since she only ate a small amount of it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is all so scary and seems so complicated.

2. calliecat an marty

calliecat an marty Member

hello and welcome !

first question do you home test ?
    second question what are your kitties bg numbers ?

did the vet do a blood test or a fructosamine test ?

does your kitty have any other health issues ?

3. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!

In general, diabetic kitties do better if you feed several small meals throughout the day, as well as a meal with each shot.
    What was her blood glucose # (BG) at diagnosis?
    What kind of insulin is your kitty getting?
    If it is Lantus, it's best to not let kitty eat in the 2 hours preceding kittys shot.

Food can make a big difference in BGs. wet food, with a carb% of 10 or less is best.
    You can find food charts with carb counts here.

What is your kiitys weight?
    Anny other health issues?

In the interest of your cats safety, I encourage you to buy a human glucose meter and test strips and learn to hometest.
    Plenty of folks around here to walk you through it - and videos on the internet as well.

Then you can do your own curves in the comfort of your own home :D

4. blakismom

blakismom Member

Aww geez...I wrote a long detailed reply and thought I hit submit but I don't know what happened...I don't see it anywhere. I am frightened and exhausted, and need to get some much needed sleep. Thank you kind people for the replies. I pray that we make it through the night okay. I will post again tomorrow with all the details. God Bless You! Thank you!

5. Hi
    If you are still online.....3u is a very high starting dose, but there may be a logical reason for it. Did the vet say why that dose?

Type of insulin is very important, and if you can tell us what sort of numbers the vet got on those tests, that might help us to understand the dose.

And most importantly, are you home testing?

Carl

6. blakismom

blakismom Member

My 15 year old cat was scheduled for surgery...she was in to have her tail amputated due to an injury that was not healing, and it (the tail) was beginning to cause her some problems. Routine blood work before surgery showed her bg at 355. Surgery was postponed, but she stayed at the vets so he could do a bg curve. So it started out at a bg of 355 in the a.m., the vet gave her 4 units of Novolin and tested her bg again around noon time, it was 65. The next test at around 5:00pm it was at 157. Day two, at 8:00am her bg was 298 so he gave her two units of insulin. At noon time her bg was 178. No more insulin was given to her that day because she was given anesthetic and had the tail amputation surgery done. At 5:00pm her bg was at 192. Day three (today) at 8:00am her bg was 308 at which time the vet gave her 3 units. At noontime her bg was at 97, and at 5:00pm it was at 155. At this time the vet sent her home and gave me the insulin Novolin and instructed me to give her 3 units at 8:00 pm at the same time she was having her last meal of the day, a can of Hill prescription food. So here I am with my senior kitty cat, freshly amputated tail, and we are sailing into uncharted territory here...
    So I did give her the 3 units while she was eating her 8:00pm meal. She did not eat very much. The vet told me to only feed her twice a day, and give her the injection at each meal. So since she did not eat very much I am concerned that three units might have been too much. Should I leave the remainder of that can of food down, available for her to eat if she wants to later? Or should I pick it up and not feed her again til her next meal at 8:00 am...at which time I am supposed to give her another 3 units, and then repeat same again at 8:00pm. I have not gotten a bg tester yet, but plan to get one tomorrow so that I can attempt to do home testing. I am very concerned. I would never forgive myself if I did something wrong and it caused her harm. She is the light of my life, we have been through some pretty rough times together and have had to fight for her life more than a few times in 15 years. She has had feline asthma for about 11 of her 15 years, which has been managed by regular injections of steroid just to keep her breathing comfortably.
    The many years of steroid use is now taking its toll on her health. I am not ready to let her go. I will do whatever it takes to manage this new crisis. I need help so that I may help her. Thank you people for taking time out of your busy and complicated lives to help me and my Blaki and many others. God Bless You!!! Thank You!!!

7. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

I would leave the food down so she can come back to it. But I'm no vet, and a newbie. But I think, if your cat's bg went low, it would probably get hungry (mine gets really hungry) and then the food being there is better than the food not being there. Also I have heard that food in small lots over the day is not a bad thing.
    I am mainly just answering in case there is no one else around, so that you know you aren't out there alone.

I have scanned your answer to see if I can find the name of the insulin, but I can't see it. Did you know there are loads of different kinds (I didn't know that). If it is any consolation to you, my cat is on 3 units of insulin (I forget the name, but its in my signature), twice a day, and he has made it for a couple of months so far.

Is your cat on dry food or wet food, mine was on dry food and he was alright, but I just started wet food and I think its too much for him now, at 3 units.

Mainly, ((hug)) I think you should leave the food out and take a big deep breath. And maybe have some kind of beverage?

8. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Hello! Just wanted to say welcome to you and Blaki and I'm in the same boat here - diagnosed Monday and a little bit panicking - and everyone's been really helpful.

I'm with akbahsMum, definitely have a refreshing beverage and leave the food down. I find that putting fresh food down at injection time encourages Scout to eat a meal then. I have been doing about a quarter can every 6 hours (roughly) and throwing away whatever's still there when I put fresh down. There is also low carb dry food but neither cat seem to like that so the bowl has been sitting there untouched :)

Definitely learn to home test as soon as you can. It took me a few days but now I have the hang of it and Scout doesn't complain a bit, she likes the fuss I make of her before and after. But it means I can dose her with piece of mind (somewhat!)

Anyway let us know how Blaki is doing. I've had 3 black cats in my life and find them to be the most intelligent and unintentionally hilarious cats. When I was 4 years old, I came into the kitchen to find my kitty Inky, standing in front of an open cabinet door, shoulder deep in a box of cat food, scooping the food out onto the floor, like "O hai, don't mind me, just fixin a snack." :D One of my first memories and it still makes me giggle today.

Lori

9. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB family! cat_pet_icon

Since I wasn't familiar with Novilin, I did a search and found this:

As of January 1,2010, the company has discontinued the line of products. Interestingly, the company provided no reason for the decision and no other recommended replacements within its other insulin product offerings.

Prior to being discontinued, the Novolin product family came in primarily 4 different versions. Different versions offered different delivery methods.

Novolin R. This was a regular human insulin injection with rDNA origin. The onset was approximately 30 minutes. The peak was between 2.5-5 hours. The duration was approximately 8 hours.

Novolin N. This was a long lasting NHP human insulin isophane suspension with rDNA origin. The onset was approximately 90 minutes. The peak was between 4-12 hours. The duration was approximately 24 hours.

Novolin L. This was a long lasting Lente human insulin in a zinc suspension with rDNA origin. The onset was approximately 2.5 hours. The peak was between 7-15 hours. The duration was approximately 22 hours.

Novolin 70/30. This was a Long Lasting 70 percent NHP human insulin isophane suspension and 30 percent regular human insulin injection, with rDNA origin. The onset was approximately 30 minutes. The peak was between 2-12 hours. The duration was approximately 24 hours.

Like all insulin, individuals often needed several adjustments of the medication before they found the most effective dosing for their needs.

Keep in mind those times are for humans. Cats metabolize insulin quicker (about half the time of a human). If it were me, I'd be asking the vet for Lantus, Levimir, or PZI/ProZinc as these insulins have been shown to work better in our kitties (and haven't been discontinued).

Home testing is essential to knowing how the insulin you are giving is effecting your kitty. Especially with such large doses. I do urge you to get a meter at your pharmacy and start. Many of us here can help you through it. :smile: Many folks here use the Relion meter from Wal-Mart as it is reliable as well as inexpensive and the strips are the cheapest around.

Don't let all this overwhelm you. We have all been where you are, new to this and scared. The folks here are super friendly and very knowledgeable, as we live with this day in and day out. We are all here to help our kitties.

Since stress (including going to the vet's) and ailments can effect blood glucose levels in cats, it is possible your kitty's BGs have been higher due to everything going on. Again, another reason to be testing at home.

Let us know how we can help you help your kitty. :D

10. Hi,
    Wish I had seen this when you posted last night. Are you on the west coast?
    I disagree with the advice about feeding only twice a day, but to answer your question, yes you should leave the food out after the shot. A cat needs to have food in its system to offset the effect of the insulin.
    Until you can start home testing, I think I would go with no more than 2u as a dose. That is a quick acting insulin and 3u might be too much too soon.
    You should always feed at shot time but you can feed at other times during the day or night as well.
    Carl

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

When using N insulin you NEED to feed at least a 1/2 hr. before shooting so food is on board. N is fast acting and short duration and is not a good insulin for cats. Your vet is also winging that insulin dose around which is not done. Will be glad to know you are getting a meter today and the sooner you start testing the safer your kitty will be. I would not give another 3 units of N.....that is a high dose, even for starting, and I cannot believe your vet gave her 4 units of N for her first shot.

If she continues to need insulin, which home testing will tell you, I strongly suggest you ask the vet for Lantus, or Prozinc, of Levemir, and get her off that N insulin.

Stress plus a damaged tail could have contributed to her high blood glucose and now that she is home, tail is fixed, she may very well not need insulin at all. If she is on antibiotics, those also may increase bg's so once she is off of them, she also may not need insulin.

Start testing her, especially before eating, then feed her, wait a 1/2 hr. and shoot if insulin is needed. If in doubt, post here and ask.

No insulin should be increased/decreased the way that vet was doing it. You figure out a starting dose, hang with it for a few days and see what happens, then you decide whether to increase a 1/2 unit or not. Majority of times a starting dose is 1 unit only.

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The feeding is very important and twice a day is not healthy.
    If you ask any human diabetic, they will say that they test several times a day to know their blood sugar and they eat more times a day as food helps to level out the numbers.

Most people feed 4 or more times a day, or you can just leave the wet food available through the day because most cats are able to regulate themselves, eating when they feel they need to eat. Twice a day feedings is wrong, especially for a diabetic. About the only time you may want to pick up the food is around 2hrs before shot time so that the test number you get is true and not food influenced. Food will cause a small spike in numbers so you may think the number at shot time is high but after an hr or so, it will fall as the food wears off.... best to take away food 2hrs before shots and put down when you are giving the shots. As per above, your insulin is diff and needs food, like meds you may get that says to be taken with food, or not on an empty stomach.

Home testing is easy peasy, and way cheaper than taking your poor cat to the vet for days. The data gained from the curves or testing done at the vet office are pretty much useless because of stress, as well as your cat not feeling well from the tail issue. The availability of dry food will also cause higher numbers (I don't believe there is such a thing as low carb dry food). Before making changes to the food though, it would be best if you were testing to see what numbers you are getting when in the comforts of your own home. One of my cats tests much higher at the vet and another tests lower than normal when at the vet office. Once you have a relaxed cat, recovered from the surgery, and eating properly and no dry food, you may find that you need much less insulin.

As for the insulin, I don't know the one you are using, but would go with Levemir, or Lantus, or prozinc, as they are much better and longer lasting insulins with proven results. Who knows? Maybe you will find that you have yourself a Diet Controlled cat once health and diet are corrected! I like Levemir the best, but have never used prozinc, but it would be best to get on a decent insulin and hope once the dust settles, you won't need the insulin for long.

13. You also mentioned that she has gotten regular shots of steroids for asthma?
    In that case her diabetes may be "steroid induced" to some extent. Can you ask the vet about that?

Carl

14. Sandy and Black Kitty

Hello again :D

I too agree that there is a possibility the 355 was "vet stress".

Try not to worry - get yourself a glucometer, test strips and lancets as soon as possible. I use the Bayer Contour and like it.
    Once you get a few test under you belt the picture will be much clearer. In the mean time leave food out.

And, as the others have said, your vet needs to prescribe an appropriate insulin.
    I used Lantus and the experience was good. Black Kitty has been in remission for a little over 2 years now.

You've come to the right place here - most vets don't see very many diabetic cats and their knowledge is limited.
    The folks around here live and breathe FD and although we aren't vets we do have experience in the trenches and are intimately familiar with many of the nuances.

Regarding the surgery, how's the recovery going? How does Blaki appear overall? Is she behaving normally? Any lethargy, appetite OK?

Hang in there !

15. blakismom

blakismom Member

Hi everyone! So kind of all of you to respond to my plea for help. I am really worried about Blaki. She has been sleeping all day, and eating very little. I now have bg meter and supplies in hand and I will attempt to test her bg here in a few minutes. You are all so knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you all so very much! Blaki has been through a lot this week. I also forgot to mention that she had bloody urine 6 days ago and the vet put her on baytril antibiotic for 10 days for infection. Her urine is no longer bloody but she is still missing the litter box when she gets in it to go pee. I don't know if it is because her backend is sore from the tail amputation or if it is something to do with her bg. I will post back here a bit later to let you all know whether or not I had success at testing her bg. From the bottom of my heart...thank you all so much for your kindness and guidance.
    Nora-Blakis Mom

16. calliecat an marty

go Nora you can do it ;-)

17. blakismom

blakismom Member

I was unsucessful at my attempt to test Blaki's bg. Very discouraging. I am so worried about her. She is going in the bedroom to sleep in the corner, something that she never does.

18. Mystery

Mystery Member

Have you seen the 'where to poke the ear' diagram?

[​IMG]

Also there are a lot of videos available that show step by step how to do a test. Here are some on Youtube.

It also helps to rub the ear a bit before poking, and warm it up too. A rice sock is really easy to use for that - just take a thin sock, partially fill with rice and tie off, then warm in the microwave for a few seconds, long enough to get the rice real warm but not hot. That is the magic trick that worked for me and Beauregard.

19. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Blakismom, My Racci also has asthma. I would strongly suggest you change from steroids to Flovent inhalation spray. It's a lot more expensive but I agree with the other poster that Blaki's diabetes could very well have been induced by steroids and they are very bad for her/him. I buy it online from Canada where it's much cheaper (1/4). There is a website devoted to feline asthma that I suggst you join & check out. Feline Asthma Inhaled Meds [url=htt.../feli]http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feli ... haledmeds/[/url]

Also, I know you probably already bought syringes but the next time if you didn't this time, buy 31gauge short needles with half marks. They will be most comfortable for Kitty and easiest for you. I would also recommend Lantus. PZI did not work for Racci though it does for lots of cats. Lantus is what she is on now & it really seems to be better. A lot of frequent meals also and lots of water.

You can usually get your testing kit for free when you buy either the syringes by the box (usually have coupons) but you will have to wait for them to send it to you. Just a note. :) Always good to have an extra kit. I'll look to see if I have one if you want.

Hope that helps.

Melanie & Racci

20. Mystery

Mystery Member

21. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

When people say its easy, well, it is! But I found it really really hard at first. Really hard, and I cried, and I didn't know what on earth I was going to do. BUT, it got easier. I got determined, and I gave it a rest, and came back and tried again.
    - try to be calm, your calmness will calm your cat. Soothe and praise your cat before, during and after each test. Reward with something (e.g. I reward with the brush, or lately, with a v small snack.
    - For a while I skipped the ear warming part, I thought, "Sydney is warm enough". But actually, warming the ear helps, even here. And Akbah seems to like the part where I warm his ear and stroke his back. He settles in.
    - I couldn't get any blood out until I took the top off the lancet and just used the needle. Others don't have that problem.
    - they say that it gets easier and it does.

((hug)) You did good to try. If you stick with it, you'll work it out. There is nothing so rewarding as the first successful test, especially if it started out hard.

22. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Hey! I hadn't seen that one. It's useful for me too! Thanks!

23. blakismom

blakismom Member

Thank you all so much for your support. Me and Blaki both are frustrated after many failed attempts at testing her bg. Her next scheduled injection is in a half an hour. I have no idea what is going on since I have been unsucessful at testing. I don't know what to do! I have warmed her ear, and pricked it many times with a pen type lancing device but I just have not been able to draw blood. Is there any other alternative site for lancing? I know it is just me being inept at it, but I am desperate to test her before 8:00pm.

Thanks,
    Nora and Blaki

24. MelanieAndRacci

The sweet spot diagram and rice sock were my best friends when I was a newbie. :)

Melanie & Racci

25. Nora,
    Are you using the whole device or have you tried just using the lancet part? I found that to be much easier. If you can hand sew, you can do this!

Carl

26. blakismom

blakismom Member

I am on the verge of tears, and I just don't know what to do. Blaki has only eaten a bite or two of food at three different times today, she doesn't have much of an appetite at all, she's hardly drinking any water, she's been sleeping all day. It has been a rough week for her and with so many different things going on such as the urinary tract infection, the tail amputation, and the insulin stuff...I don't have the slightest idea what is going on with her. Maybe she is just exhausted from the stress and trauma of being away from home (three days at the vets) and certainly the tail amputation. It is almost time for her scheduled insulin injection, but I am thinking that I am not going to give it to her since she has ate so little today and does not seem interested in eating any time soon. I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

27. calliecat an marty

nora have you tried both of the ears ?

28. calliecat an marty

nora if you poke and no blood try right below the poke to gengle massage upward to bring the blood up

29. MelanieAndRacci

Nora,

Did the vet give her anything for pain? Can you gently pick her up and get her to sit next to you on a chair and just be calm with you and eat from your hand and bring a littl bowl of water with you and slowly and gently once she's calm with you feed her and give her water? If so, that is what i would do and not worry if the shot is late or if you get a bg tonight since you're so tense and she is sensing it. Worry about calming and soothing and feeding her first. comfort her if you can and both of you calm down, then give the shot and tomorrow get the bg.

Melanie

30. Nora,
    Given that the insulin you are using is fast acting and hits pretty quick and hard, I would agree with your feeling on not giving her a shot tonight.
    Tomorrow, call the vet. She needs to eat, and even though no insulin might make her numbers go up some, it's safer to skip a shot than to shoot without knowing the BG when she won't eat.

Have you ever checked her for ketones?
    Where do you live (city/state). I know it's California, but where abouts? I am hoping that maybe another member lives close by and can give you some hands on training with the testing and poking routine....

Carl

31. blakismom

blakismom Member

I live in Orosi, California. Any hands on help from someone nearby would be a lifesaver! Literally.

32. Nora,
    I just posted a "home testing help needed" message on this forum. I know we have lots of folks in CA, but it's a big state! Hopefully someone will know of someone that can help you out.

Carl

33. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I actually test the opposite side of the ear a little further down.

and often cats do not eat well when first diagnosed as they feel like crap...I had to syringe feed Squeak in order to give him insulin and I'd suggest it for you too. It really does help!

34. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

I went away and tried in the area marked "sweet spot" today. No dice.
    For me, (for Akbah), its the area below that area, down to the notch. I can see the vein, and I aim for it. Higher up, if I get blood, its just a tiny amount too small to use.
    And for Ak, its his right ear more than his left that works. Today, I tried his left ear again because he's had a LOT of testing in the past few days.
    Husband just came home from the shops, he bought me a torch. Should help me see what I'm doing.

blakismom, I'm so sorry you and puss have to be in this situation. :coffee:
    When I started testing, I did sit down and cry. I wish I could come over and help you out. Probably I would have trouble too, I only just worked out what to do with Akbah.
    I had many such sessions before I ever got a successful test.

Most importantly, a rest will help everyone involved.

35. blakismom

blakismom Member

To all of you very kind people...I am so grateful for the support and advice that you have taken the time to give to Blaki and I. Unfortunately, despite repeated attempts at getting a drop of blood to test Blaki's bg, I am so far unsuccesful. I am feeling more than a bit defeated. Both Blaki and myself are exhausted. As I look over at her sleeping I cant help but feel like I have let her down. I did not give her an insulin injection at her scheduled 8:00 pm...she has eaten very little and I just felt like its not a good idea. Now if I am not succesful at testing her bg before her next scheduled injection at 8:00 am, I don't know if its a good idea to give her that one either. I have no idea what to do next, besides stress her out by loading her in the car and taking her back to the vet when he opens in the morning so he can test for me. Boy, I am supposed to be taking care of her...and I can't even get this right? Pretty sad :(. I know how serious this is... it could cost her her life...and I still can't manage to figure this out! Pretty lame.

36. blakismom

blakismom Member

Well folks, I am batting a thousand here...I noticed that Blaki was starting to pee a whole lot again, so I thought uh oh, maybe I BETTER give her some insulin. So I tried one more time to test bg by pricking her ear using just the lancet without the pen. She let out an OUCH! but still no blood...no test. So I opened a new can of food and offered it to her in the kitchen. While she was eating, I was preparing her injection and the vial of insulin slipped out of my hands and broke on the kitchen counter. I did manage to get some insulin into the syringe before dropping the vial so I gave her about 1 1/2 units. Keep in mind that the vet has instructed me to give her 3 units twice daily, 12 hours apart. I dont have the slightest idea whats going on with her. I am driving blind. Which I know is very dangerous. Now what? I am a total wreck and she is too. I feel like I am going to end up killing her!

Nora and Blaki :( :(

37. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Might not be so bad really... think about it this way. If you gave her too much insulin, especially if she hadn't eaten much, that's supposed to be when things could get suddenly dangerous. While if you gave her not enough, she could get hyper, which means she *could* make ketones, but I think, I believe, its possible that this is more of a long term problem. So I am led to believe that in the short term, not enough insulin is better than too much. There is probably some complication that blows this theory, but bear with me.

3units is a fair whack of insulin, but 1.5, well that's half what you'd planned. Not enough is better than too much, so in a state of uncertainly, 1.5 is better!
    Secondly, this means you have to go back to the vet (for more insulin), so you'll have a measurement tomorrow, done by the vet. While you you're there, when (s)he's taken the blood sample, get vet to put a drop onto your primed tester, and compare what it says with the vet's reading.

Meanwhile, go to bed and relax. Your cat knows you love her, they can tell when we are trying to help, and she will forgive you anything so long as you are trying your best. Get some sleep. I think it will be better tomorrow.

38. blakismom

blakismom Member

Thanks for your kindness. Just curious...can I buy insulin over the counter in California like at Walmart or Walgreens or similiar stores?

39. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

In Australia we need a prescription and get it from the chemist.

40. Teresa and Poopy

Not sure of the rules in California so don't know if you need a prescription or not for insulin, but the type you are using I believe has to come from the vet. This may be the perfect time to change to one of the better insulins: Levimir, Lantus, or ProZinc. :smile: My momma always says, "There are no accidents."

As for the pokey pokes. I feel your pain, Nora. My poor Poopy was feeling like a pin cushion...and I a failure.....and not enough blood to test. I was so frustrated and angry with myself. The folks here were so patient and kind, giving me suggestions and words of encouragement. One of the best suggestions? Breathe.

Kitties don't always bleed freely for pokey pokes, especially in the beginning. Just know, each and every attempt you make is helping create more capillaries (which means easier blood for the future).

Here are some of the other suggestions that helped me:

Warm ear (great time to be exchanging some lovings too) - use a warmed rice sock or pill bottle filled with warm water
    Hold something firm under ear (I use a folded paper towel. Some use the pill bottle as backing. I tried a folded tissue and it just wasn't firm enough.)
    Place lance pen against ear firmly
    Once you have lanced, check for blood. If a small drop is present, massage ear toward drop to see if can make a bit bigger. If no blood or not enough, repeat in the same spot...or a different spot. :smile: Each poke does count!
    I scoop the blood up on my nail so I can test from there (no ear flicks, head jerks, or whatever to smear the blood across Poopy's ear)

Last, but not least, another great suggestion was 3 pokes and take a rest...for both! Also, don't' forget the treats for pokes, successful or not! :D

You'll make it. It just takes time and pokes. :D

41. Nora,
    please read this out loud to Blaki?

Blaki,
    this isn't hard, but you have to help. It is just one drop of blood, and you have millions of them. I just saw at the bottom of the main page that this is a very special day for mom.
    How about giving Mom a Happy Birthday?
    What do you say?

Carl and Bob

42. DaniCoz

DaniCoz Member

Not on the west coat so all I can offer is words of encouragement. Don't feel bad about not being able to get blood because you are doing right by Blaki by being so aware of her condition and trying to get her better. I am still new at this, and I had (still having) a really tough time testing Charlie. I followed all the tricks and tips, and got very frustrated that it didn't work for me. The "sweet spot" was not so sweet to us. The only way for me to get blood from his ears is to poke the inner edge. I aim as close to the vein as possible, and use the lancet free-hand (I put it in the lancing device to make it a little easier to hold). This way I can see exactly where I'm putting the needle. It doesn't help that Charlie has thick black fur on his ears! I also try to poke and hold the needle in for a second, if Charlie will stay still for that long. And if the blood is a large amount I scoop it up on my fingernail or even fingertip to test, because, somehow, beautiful round drops of blood have disappeared in the time it takes me to put down the lancet and pick up the meter!

I'm not sure if anyone suggested this, but you might want to check her urine for ketones. You can get ketone testing strips anyplace that has a pharmacy (including wal mart or target). http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm

43. MelanieAndRacci

Nora,
    You do need a prescription in CA. I used to live there but unfortunately can't come help as now I am living in VA. I don't know if your type of insulin would be there anyway tho.

I've found one of the causes for not getting blood to be not holding the paper towel behind the ear firmly enough where I am poking (actually in front) since I find it easiest to poke from the back even with all the fur) when I poke. Be sure that your fingers on the other side with the paper towel are firmly pressing forward on the same spot that the lancet is poking from the other side. I also have found only one ear works well.

A trick I use to keep the blood from disappearing is putting a tiny bit of vaseline on the ear. It keeps the blood from going into the fur but don't do until you are a good poker because it can also make the ear slippery.

I feel for you. I had a terrible time with it in the beginning also & no one nearby to show me. study the diagram of the sweet spot, give treats and take your time. I also think after 3 pokes you should take a rest and get unfrustrated before trying again. Your baby knows your trying to help. I remember poor Racci with 2 black and blue ears and me crying over it. It gets easier. Once you get the hang of it, it's like a lightbulb going off and then it gets easier and easier.. Hang in there.

When you go to the vet, maybe he can show you? It doesn't hurt to ask. When Racci was first diagnosed, unfortunately my vet couldn't show me. He had never done it. He had only done needle tests. Now I'm lucky enough to have a cat specialist for a vet who knows a lot about feline diabetes. Maybe your vet has used a testing kit before? I also would ask to switch to Lantus or PZI. Just pretend you didn't find out yet and make sure you feed him properly for a diabetic until you get there. Relax & periodically try to test. If you are tense, your kitty will be also.

Melanie & Racci

44. Sandy and Black Kitty

Hi again Blakismom,

I know how stressed you are right now, I have been there. I don't want to frighten you however I think it would be a good idea if you pick up some ketostix at your local Walgreens/CVS/Riteaid today, so that you can test her urine for the presence of ketones.

I'm concerned about her being lethargic, not eating, not drinking and having an active infection. All those, along with her FD, could lead to the development of ketones, which can lead to DKA which would require require hospitalization. Testing her urine with ketostix is quick and inexpensive and the results will clarify how best to proceed.

45. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I want to second Sandy's concern. If the UTI isn't under control, Blaki isn't eating well, and you don't have insulin, this could be a recipe for ketones developing. Testing for ketones using Ketostix is the cheapest form of prevention you can buy. It can also save your cat's life. Any pharmacy should have Ketostix. The testing is easy. You stalk your cat to the litterbox and put the strip in the cat's urine stream. If Blaki is missing the box, it's even easier! You wiat 15 seconds and then compare the litmus paper end of the strip (that's been soaked with urine) with the guide on the container. If you have more than a trace level of ketones, you need to get your cat to a vet or ER.

46. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

((((nora))))

you've gotten great advice. the only thing i can add is that it's critical to get food into her. we have members who have had to assist feed their kitties using a syringe. you mix the food with water and inject it (no needle, just the syringe) into the side of her mouth. without a syringe, if i were you, i'd mix it with a little water and use my finger to work it inside her lip. we have an expert on doing this - i'll send her a message to come and see you. i just don't want to overwhelm you because i know it's all, well, overwhelming.

for the home-testing - try shining a flashlight against the inside of her ear so you can see the vein. poke straight on it. we don't do that on an ongoing basis, but in your case you need to know what her BG is. it will be too much blood but you can get a bit on your fingernail or a credit card or something non-absorbent and then you won't be in such a frazzled spot trying to get it tested. one really important part is to have the ear against something hard so that the ear doesn't move when you're poking. otherwise it kinda gives way.

i'm so sorry you're having a terrible time. the vet's might be a good solution - she needs food and monitoring. if you can't get her to eat, or get a BG test (and believe me, we all know it's very hard in the beginning), and she continues to appear sick, i'd take her in. you're not failing her - it's obvious that you adore your kitter and are doing everything you can. testing at home at first is really a challenge. you can do everything right and still not get blood. so don't beat yourself up - we've all been in your shoes. it gets much easier but the beginning is rough.

hugs, hugs and more hugs!

edited to add - you could also test your own BG first so you understand how the test strip works. just use a finger.

47. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Nora:

Just sending you support and encouragement. I agree with Sandy, Sienne, and Julie that it is best to check her urine for ketones....that will tell us ALOT. And it's also best to be sure she gets ample food and water. You've
    gotten other good advice about feeding schedules.

I also hope you can discuss with your vet....or perhaps a new one... about putting her on one of the gentler, long duration insulins like lantus or levemir or on PZI. We can answer questions about the different insulins for you. Many lantus/levemir users have responded to your condo and I know Carl is familiar with PZI.

We're keeping your little girl in our prayers.

48. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

You are in good hands. The people giving advice know their stuff. They were amazing with Maverick and I when we joined also.

I had to really warm Maverick's ear with a sock and I used the lancet free hand not in the device. I also used a light so I could hit one of the capilliaries and had to milk the blood drop to form. Here is a picture of the light - it acts as a backing making lancing easier. Its just one of the cheap DIY lights I got from the walmart hardware section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. Brian

Brian Member

Please don't be hard on yourself over mistakes, you're brand spanking new at this and doing the best you can. It will get less frightening and easier with time.

If you are able to collect some urine, I'd suggest you get the pee sticks that test for both ketones (very important as already mentioned) and glucose. While the glucose pee test is no substitute for the blood glucose test, it does give you some information so you'll be a little less in the dark until your blood testing skills are up to speed.

As for the blood testing, again go easy on yourself! I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but do you have another cat (or even a friends cat) you can practice on? My innocent healthy cats all got stabbed a few times when I was first learning. It's much more relaxing stabbing a cat when you don't feel you need to do it.

50. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Hi Nora,

I hope you're doing OK. I just wanted to offer my support. I have spent a good chunk of the day crying because I don't know what to do for my kitty and I'd hoped, naively perhaps, that once she was on insulin she'd be all better. We are doing the best we can and those blood tests are not easy to get the hang of. Poor Scout has bruises on both her ears and it took me 5 pokes and 3 strips to get a successful test earlier. Keep at it and it will get easier over time.

Take care,
    Lori and Scout

51. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Really???? Oh ****.
    Back to square one, Akbah!

[/quote]

I do have a spare cat... Hmmm. She's a ex-feral though, could be a challenging "practice". (I'm learning a lot from your thread, Nora)

Hope today goes better for you and Blaki. ((hug))

Nat

52. blakismom

blakismom Member

Thank you all so much for your support and advice. I am sad to say that I have not yet been able to get a bg on Blaki. It turns out that Blakis vet was not open yesterday, but I did manage to talk to him on the phone. I told him about dropping Blaki's vial of insulin and asked him if he could call in a prescription for Lantus to our local pharmacy. He said he was not familiar with it but that he would call it in. Well when I went to pick it up what they gave me instead was Humulin N. They said that is what he called in, and by this time he was no longer available for phone calls so I had to take it so I wouldnt be completely out. I did buy some ketostix and her urine tested between negative and trace. So I am still pretty much in the dark about what's going on. She is eating such small amouunts, like a couple of bites...what should I be doing as far as her insulin when she is eating so little? We have fought for her life and wellness all these years...just to lose her to this? :(

53. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Nora:

I"m trying to get some other eyes on your condo for someone experienced with using Humulin.

Here is a link to registered members of FDMB: Members

I don't know where your town in CA is located...can you give us an idea and we can see if someone is near you that we can ask to come help you test?

If she has trace ketones, you need to be sure that you get food and water in her even if you have to make a nice slurry and syringe it into her. She also needs insulin but try to get her to eat/drink and let's see if someone
    lives near you that can help test and if we have someone who can help you with the dosing on the humulin.

ETA: I was just provided this Humulin N link for additional info for you to read: Humulin N Primer

54. blakismom

blakismom Member

I would so very much appreciate someone to come help me test Blaki. I live in a very very small rural town called Orosi, California. I am 45 miles east of Fresno, and 16 miles north of Visalia. Fresno and Visalia are the closest bigger cities to where i live. There are more smaller towns within 10-20 miles such as Dinuba, Reedley, Sanger, Selma, Kingsburg and such. I am so worried. Taking Blaki to the vet is so very stressful for her, especially because her last stay was so recent and traumatic that I am in doubt if the readings would be right due to her being so stressed out at being hauled back to there again so soon. And the Humulin..and the small amounts she's eating...I don't have the slightest idea about what I should be giving her as far as amount of insulin. I have decided to leave her food down and available to her all of the time, since she is eating only a couple of bites at any given time. She is still sleeping a lot and when she is up she walks only a few feet before dropping to the floor to rest. She looks bright eyed and alert when she is awake, but seems weak in the hind legs.

Nora & Blaki

55. Mystery

Mystery Member

Maybe you could talk to the vets office, and see if one of the vet techs from the clinic would be willing to come to your home and give you lessons, or perhaps they know of another diabetic cat mom locally who would be able to assist?

56. julie & punkin (ga)

I grew up in Fresno, but as a kid you don't really know what's around you. are any of these close enough? i don't think we need a N user, but someone to help you get a BG test would be good.

did you try hitting smack on the vein? did you try it on yourself? i know it's hard, but i also know you can do it! try warming up blacki's ear nice and warm before you poke. i used an old glass spice bottle because it gave me something to poke against.

Alameda County California Karen & Zelda
    Albany/El Cerrito California Mary & Miles
    Antelope Valley Callifornia mendi&bubba
    Arcadia California Mindy & Snickers
    Bakersfield California chase n sara
    Bay Area California Christy & Tater (GA)
    Bay Area California Karen & Zelda
    Bay Area California Marc & Zep
    Brea California Tina, Rob & Snowboots
    Burbank California Dee and Bee
    Corona California Cindy & Mousie et al (Yorba Linda -Work)
    Costa Mesa California Lois and Sweetpea
    Downey California Kathy & Murphy
    El Cerrito, Bay Area California Amy & Max
    Freemont California Julie & Boo(GA)
    Glassel Park (Near Glendale) California Robin & Barney
    Glendale California dee and bee
    Hollister California Kim & Kliban
    Irvine California Debby K & Charlie
    Irvine California Nolene & Poopaws
    West Covina California Naomi and Panther
    La Mesa, San Diego California Natasha & Josiah
    Lake Forrest (works in Irvine) California Lisa & Blakey
    Livermore California Judy, Peanut & Bell
    Los Angeles California Holly and Spader
    Los Angeles California Karen & dB (GA)
    Los Angeles California Robin & Barney
    Los Angeles(Sherman Oaks) California Felice & Bert
    Marin California Kathy & Chauncy
    Marina Del Rey California Linda, Susan, Zenny Moonbeam
    Martinez California Sue & Roscoe
    Martinez California Amy and Kayah
    Martinez California Sue & Roscoe
    Martinez, (Bay Area) California Sue & Roscoe
    Menlo Park California Peg & Rocky
    Oakland California Naomi Elliot & Simon
    Orange County California Doug & Rodney
    Orange County California Katie & Hallie
    Orange County California Lisa and Simba
    Orange County California Susan & Harley
    Placerville California Christine & Cricket
    Redondo Beach California Ambre & Toonces
    Sacramento California Cindy & Baby
    Sacramento California Randy & Buddy
    Sacramento California Stephanie & Mollie
    San Bernadino County California Gail & Houdini
    San Bernadino (Inland Empire) California Anne Bremer & Puff
    San Carlos California George & Blackie
    San Diego California Florrence & Purrsey
    San Diego California Jacalyn & Mandala
    San Diego California Mama & Max
    San Diego (Escondido) California Lynn_Sufi
    San Diego (North) California Pawprints and Ten
    San Diego /National City California Anne B and the Royal Court
    San Fancisco California Von and Bushy
    San Francisco California Bruce Janke
    San Francisco California chriscleo
    San Francisco California Lisa & Merlyn
    San Francisco California Lore & Kitty
    San Francisco California Lore & Kitty
    San Francisco California Michael & Gina
    San Francisco California Stella & Mr. Nougato
    San Francisco (North) California Rosalind & Edward
    San Francisco California Lisa and Merlyn
    San Gabriel Valley California Diane & Tabitha
    San Jose California Terry & Punkin (GA)San Mateo California Linda & Wildthing
    San Raphael, Bay Area California Hillary & Zug
    Santa Barbara California Michele, Rick & Serendipity (GA)
    Santa Barbara California Nina & Felix the Cat
    Santa Clara (SF Bay) California Rillibee’s Mom
    Santa Cruz California Amy & Kaboodle
    Santa Cruz California Carol & Yoshi
    Simi Valley California Pamela Collins & Blackie
    Southern - P/T in San Francisco California Melissa and Popcorn (GA) & Sushi (GA)
    Talmadge, San Jose California Gabriella & Bucky
    Torrance California Cheri & Patriot
    Union City California Patticass & Tyler
    Vallejo California Bonnie and Ditto
    Van Nuys California Bruce & Snoopy
    Walnut Creek California Chet & ClaraKitty
    West Covina California Noemi and Panther
    Yorba Linda California cedubose

57. blakismom

blakismom Member

You know, I was thinking back at the way this all unfolded.Blaki's tail had been injured for 9-10 months prior to her tail amputaion. The vet repeatedly told us to wait before deciding on amputation, because the tail will sometimes regain feeling and heal itself. In hindsight, I think she has been in significant pain from her tail for quite awhile. Cats are extremely good at hiding their pain. Also I had been giving her all the wrong things in her diet...she was eating a fair amount of dry food, she was getting popcorn everytime we would eat popcorn while watching movies, about 3 to 4 times a week. Also she is a wonderful beggar, and therefore was always getting bits of whatever we were eating at any given time. I realize now that all of that was wrong for her. So what I'm thinking is that maybe the high bg readings during her stay at the vets was due to the stress and the pain, and all the bad feeding habits. Could it just be wishful thinking that maybe Blaki is not diabetic at all? Unfortunately none on the list in California are close. The closest one is over 100 miles away. Thanks so much for all of your efforts. I have tried every suggestion without success to test her bg...I just cannot manage to get even the tiniest drop of blood. I feel like such a failure...it's just a single drop of blood! Whats so hard about that?!
    God Bless You All!!! This forum's members are AWESOME! Thank you from the bottoms of our hearts.
    Nora & Blaki

58. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Nora. I used to live in CA, and my parents live in Stockton, but I'm currently living in New Jersey.
    I haven't read every word of your condo, so don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I notice your cat is black. I poke on the inside (where there's a lot less fur) of J.D.'s ears. I use 28 gauge lancets and almost always have to poke several times in basically the same spot to get enough blood for a test. I also test in a section down further on the ear, nearer to the flap. I hope you will keep trying, and I hope she will start eating more (or you will assist feed her). Hugs.

59. ohiogal

ohiogal Member

Hi Nora,

Sending you hugs from NW Ohio!! It's always traumatic when you have to start doing things like this, but don't worry, your kitty still loves you! He knows you're just trying to make him feel better.

What kind of glucose meter are you using? Can you take the cap off the lancer so you can see the needle? Do you know what gauge you are using? If you bought a meter it probably came with a lancer and 10 "lancets" - small flesh-colored plastic sticks with a tiny sharp needle on the end, covered by a round plastic cap. You uncap the needle (the round cap twists off), insert the lancet into the lancer, and you're good to go. On mine you pull the lancer back until you hear a 'click'. The lancers are spring-loaded so when you push a little button on the 'pen', the needle darts forward and jabs the skin.

Is this what's happening with you? What I did when I first got my kit was to practice on a styrofoam take-out container. That way I could see how the needle comes out, how far it goes, and whether it worked better for me with the protective 'cap' on or off the lancer (some people prefer to keep the cap off so they can see exactly where the needle's going.)

See the thread "My diabetic kitty has my vet stumped!" to read all about my 1 1/2 hour adventure trying to get my kitty's BG reading this afternoon. Everybody goes through this, and the important thing to remember is that your cat won't hold any of this against you. They have very bad short-term memories that are usually easily cleared by a treat or a cuddle. After jabbing my kitty's ear about 50 times this afternoon I was afraid she'd never let me near her with the lancer again! But tonight she was just fine.

You will be too! Don't give up. We're all pulling for you!!!! :D

60. julie & punkin (ga)

it's a great idea to try poking on a styrofoam piece to see how it works. if there's no member nearby we'll just have to continue trying to coach you through it til you have success. it will come! we have yet to have someone not be able to get blood!

did you try it on yourself? i just can't tell when you say you've tried everything - i'm not sure what else to say to help. i would literally just keep poking til you get blood. did you try hitting on the vein - because we know it has blood in it!!!

are you free-hand poking or using the lancet device? if you're using the device, try holding it firmly against the ear for about 10 seconds (count them) before you click the device, then continue holding in the same place for a few more seconds. you should see blood welling up from that.

make certain that something hard is behind her ear when you poke. otherwise the ear will bend away from the lancet and it won't go in.

it is possible that some level of high numbers was because of stress, pain and a poor diet. if that's the case, having her completely on low-carb canned food may allow her pancreas to heal. we have seen cats go off of insulin after their diets were corrected.

great job getting the ketone test! keep trying to get blood. btw, there are people who poke the foot pad. i think one of the ones that's up higher and not being walked on, but i'm not sure and haven't ever done it. however, it's worth a try.

if you can't get blood to test, i think i'd call the vet's emergency number and ask whether or not you should give insulin. my prescription says if punkin's not eating not to give insulin. i don't know how much blaki needs to eat to be ok to get the shot. i would be very reluctant to shoot a cat that's sick and not eating.

as far as the back legs go, have we suggested methyl B-12 to you yet? it takes a little bit of time to work but people have had great success with it. that usually develops after extended uncontrolled BG, as i understand it, but i could be wrong. i don't know much about neuropathy except that it is reversible in many cases.

61. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Hi Nora. Just wanted to wish you well and hope you and Blaki are doing okay.
    Hope you get blood today. Isn't it weird to say something like that.
    You can do it.
    Nat

62. Karrie and Maverick

Losing weight can impact a cat in a lot of ways so its really important to get her to maintain her weight. Cats can't use body fat for energy like humans do. Their livers clog up with fat. Maverick's story is in my signature - you want to start assist feeding to make up the difference. Syringe feeding is very easy to do - just takes a little practice. There is a Yahoo group dedicated to assist feeding called Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding. When you register you will be sent five files automatically. One of them is how to assist feed safely and efficiently. You'll get a lot of tips.

Please do get some oral syringes from the vet - they have a curved tip and I cut the opening a bit larger. Get a bunch of them they start sticking. My vet didn't know about feline hepatic lipidosis or that it could hit quickly in an overweight cat, but also in cats that just eat less calories than normal for weeks. Maverick almost died from this so I try and tell everyone about syringe feeding so they can avoid a second crisis on top of diabetes.

You are in absolutely amazing hands here. Sending more hugs.

63. Karrie and Maverick

I forgot to say that you want to syringe feed a food that you do not give her normally. This is just to avoid her getting any food aversions to her favourite foods. Wellness Chicken has 200 calories a can and you would need less of this than another food - more calories per ml and is only 2-4% carbs, I can't remember. Just blend it in a blender and add enough warm water to make it syringeable. More tips in that article.

64. blakismom

blakismom Member

Thank you for the wonderful and helpful advice. I am very disappointed to say that despite repeated attempts, I have not yet been able to test bg. I have tried her ears til they are bruised, I have even tried her paws and the shaved spot on her neck. She started to eat a bit more, but now this morning she acts like she is not well. Her breathing is faster than usual and she has a glassy eyed look. I tested her urine for keytones and it tested between negative and trace. I hate to stress her out by putting her in the car and taking her back to the vet, but I may have to do it. I am just worried that the additional stress will have a worse impact on her. I am so scared and don't know what to do. There are so many variables, its hard for a newbie at this to know just what to do hour by hour. :(.

Nora & Blaki

65. Teresa and Poopy

I just watched your video on Blaki. She is adorable!

Alrighty. First things first.

Breathe. :smile: Not being able to get a BG yet isn't the end of the world, ok? I know it feels like it, especially with Blaki being sick. Keep attempting, and it will get better.

I know you've probably done this before, but would you post, step by step, exactly how you do a BG reading?

If you're like me, I was forgetting a step here or there. The folks here were so patient and kind, and so very helpful. Perhaps one of use will see someting and can suggest a tip or two to help. :smile:

66. Angelavenger

Angelavenger Member

My kitty was just diagnosed in this last November. I wanted to send you digital hugs and let you know that even though your stressed and scared and overwhelmed YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Everyone here has been through this before and we all are here for you. In the beginning i cried like every day my poor little artemis wasn't eating and actually had ketoassidosis and had to go to the hospital. Yet here its only been a few months and already things are much better.
    It took me and my husband a good month before we got blood regularly from her ear. So keep at it, it does get better. The rice sock helped immensely after a month we didn't even need the rice sock anymore. Quite the change from her ear that would never bleed ever.
    Also my girl is on lantus insulin and it really has helped her a lot. I would recommend it.

As to food, maybe try sprinkling some forta flora (sp?) on her food and mixing some water with it to help her keep hydrated. I'm told that the stuff tastes really good to kitties and might help stimulate her appetite to eat the food.

REALLY important note. If she doesn't eat you don't give her the shot. It's imperative with insulin that they have food on board for the insulin to act on or they can go hypoglycemic which is deadly. Not eating is really dangerous for kitties especially diabetic ones so definitely try syringe feeding her!

67. Karrie and Maverick

Open mouth breathing or just breathing more when you stress her out? When she is resting, how many breaths per minute. Sleeping is ideal (not dreaming).

68. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

FWIW

I never look for a vein or capillary. I have always poked the thicker/inner edge of Squeak's ear, about 2/3 of the way down and a few millimetres in. So if you haven't tried that area, you might want to see if it works for you.

I very much support syringe feeding. I had to do it for several days with Squeak when he was first diagnosed, I had to do it with my non-diabetic when a med made her inappetant, and I had to do it again recently with Squeak when his liver was in acute crisis. Each time it was successful, and he is fat and sassy to prove it. Your cat needs the food and the insulin in order to start recovery, as well as to avoid developing ketones.

I KNOW this is tough. But we also know that you CAN do it and it WILL get better

Jen

69. julie & punkin (ga)

just checking back in on you both, nora! :YMHUG: let us know how we can help.

have you watched youtube videos on how to hometest? maybe that would help. there are quite a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.