New here. Not new to diabetes.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robin&BB, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Oops, forgot to post here 1st when I joined. Bat-Bat was first dx'd in 2013;; used Lantus/ TR/ low carb & went OTJ in under 8 wks! But just dx'd with recurrence/ UTI/anemia on 2/25. So now she's on Pro Zinc & it's a whole new ball game.

I am so very grateful for the wonderful people on the Pro Zinc Forum, who have been walking me through our first weeks back on the juice (with an insulin in which I'm not yet well-versed). The FDMB is truly
    amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

2. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hi Robin and BB, nice to meet you!

3. Robin&BB

Hi, Marcie. Yep, he is one handsome man-cat! From your SS, looks like he's doing very nicely on Lantus micro-doses. I'm so happy for you & hope he's totally OTJ soon. Cheers!

Marciegee likes this.
  4. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Thanks! You have a gorgeous black kitty there, too. (I'm partial, because they are the bestest!)

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Robin&BB

And in my girl's case, the feistiest! Needs to go in the gas-box, every time, for a vet to even examine her. (She's definitely a one-person cat. :rolleyes: )

6. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi robin

Sorry to see you have had to start giving insulin again. Do you think the UTI has resulted in the loss of remission?

7. Robin&BB

Hi back to you, phlika29! Vet said is quite possible the UTI could have been a factor, but that's it's sort of a "which came first: the chicken or the egg" thing - so we really don't know for certain. I had posted something about Bat-Bat's loss of remission on a "Recent Remissions?" thread on the ProZinc Forum, which I think bears worth repeating on this page, too:

Just a few words about remission (Bat-Bat was in remission since 10.04.13 after 8 wks on Lantus - did so well that time.) We're still working hard to get to good BG #s this time, 10 days into treatment - and here's what I've just learned the HARD way:

1. Never take remission for granted - even if your kitty's at a very good weight, is active and eating well.
    2. NEVER stop measuring water consumption every 24 hrs., no matter how healthy your DB kitty in remission appears to be!
    3. If you note water drinking that's above normal-cat levels, immediately ck. blood glucose.

No doubt other members will have some other great caveats to add about the need for ongoing vigilance - please do, members!
    (For instance: I'd like to know how often I should have been spot-checking her BG while in remission ...)

I am still kicking myself for believing Bat's diabetes was "cured" after her rapid success on Lantus. (What was I thinking???!!!) She seemed quite healthy ... until the moment she suddenly wasn't. Lesson learned. Ouch! (Especially the ouch for my poor kitty; my bad. My VERY bad.)

Anyway, I am hoping we'll get her back into remission before long, even if it means a change back to Lantus at some point in future.[/QUOTE]

Martha and Lolly likes this.
  8. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

Thanks so much for your post about remission. I am sorry to hear that Bat-Bat is back on the juice, and I hope you get her regulated quickly. Maybe another OTJ? I've seen that a number of cats on the board go off and on... I'm rooting for her! Lolly has been in remission just one month. I think I'm the opposite right now- I can't stop worrying that she's going out of remission, and I'm still testing her every other day, sometimes twice a day which is probably ridiculous. She isn't bothered at all by it, but my husband is telling me I'm obsessed, and he's going to hide the glucometer. I think the recommendation is once a week. I know I should just be happy that she is so much healthier and appreciate the OTJ time, but I can't stop worrying. So really, please don't kick yourself so much, you caught it, and you are treating her. And I think you probably took a healthier route.

BTW Black Cats Rule! (except for Queen Lolly, of course) Ninja is our humongous completely black cat and he's very affectionate. He was always a little wild, but ever since I switched to LC, he's INSANE! He leaps buildings with a single bound. I found him on top of my kitchen cabinets the other night. I truly cannot figure out how he managed it, I had to help him down :)

Robin&BB likes this.
  9. Robin&BB

Thanks for your encouraging words, Martha! My black cat certainly rules the roost around here!

Re: Testing Lolly once or twice a day - hey, if she doesn't mind, what's the harm? (And in a multi-cat household, how on earth can you measure just 1 cat's water every 24 hrs, huh? Ha!) Better to keep an eye on things than to assume; we both know where an assumption got me: Bat-Bat:oops: on insulin again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.